Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
We will be holding our annual charity collection day in aid of the SU Charities this Sat 1st of Feb. If you have 2 hours to spare 11am-1pm or 1pm-3pm to shake a bucket please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org – All funds raised will be going to Domestic Violence Response and AIDS West.
We will be holding an information session for anyone thinking about running for the SU Elections 1pm-2pm on Weds 5th Feb.
- 3 x Paid Full Time Officer nominations open Weds 19th Feb
- 15 x Voluntary Part Time Officer nominations open Weds 26th Feb
- SU Council Chair Nominations open Thurs 5th March
For more info please contact email@example.com
- Sign Language FULLY BOOKED
- Yoga FULLY BOOKED
- Disclosure Training
- First Aid Responder Course FULLY BOOKED
- Cardiac First Responder Course LIMITED SPACES LEFT
Together with ONE Galway and GMIT SU we will be hosting an event for you to meet with your Galway West and East GE2020 candidates 7.30pm on Tues 4th Feb in the Kirwan Theatre. This is your chance to meet the candidates to discuss their party’s policy on housing, healthcare, education, transport, work, direct provision and public services. Tickets are FREE but limited. Get yours here.
LIFT stands for Leading Ireland’s Future Together and the aim of LIFT is to build a better Ireland by developing leaders of character across our country. We will again be holding 8 weeks of LIFT roundtables in the SU starting Fri 31st Jan. Each weeks session will start at 3pm and last 30-45 minutes. We will cover a different leadership theme each week including Listening; Positive Attitude; Respect; Empathy & Understanding; Honesty & Integrity; Competence; Determination and Accountability.You can read more about the initiative at www.liftireland.ie
The group is limited to 4 students. To sign up/get more info email firstname.lastname@example.org
Clubs’ Day will take place 12pm-4pm TODAY Thurs 30th of Jan in the Kingfisher Sports Hall. Is your new year’s resolution to get fit and active? Then join an NUI Galway Sports cub, with over 50 clubs to choose from we have everything you may need. From Gaelic Games to Martial arts and from Golf to Water Sports we have it all!
Save some money by checking the SU Second hand bookshop to see if we have what you need!
Early Bird Ticket Sales end this Fri 31st Jan for Clubs’ Ball
Tickets just €32.50. Get yours here before the price increase
Become a 2020/2021 CÉIM Leader
Apply now to become a CÉIM peer learning student leader in 2020/21. Involves meeting weekly with 1st year students to help them transition successfully to NUI Galway, gain a greater understanding of coursework and meet new people. Benefits include: intensive free leadership training, skills development, improved CV, feel good factor of helping 1st years, meeting new people, CÉIM leadership certificate and digital badge, and more. Closing date: Monday, 10 February 2020.
This Sat 1st of Feb at 1pm people are asked to gather at the Spanish Arch and walk to Eyre Square for a cultural event to celebrate the love, joy and wealth of talent that Theo Ndlovu, Mduduzi Creative, and the community of people seeking asylum as a whole have brought to Galway. Theo and Mduduzi have contributed so much to community development in Galway since they arrived 3 years ago. Yet they now both face the threat of deportation.
ALIVE hosts Gaisce Workshop
5pm Mon 3rd Feb in the ALIVE office, Áras na Mac Léinn. Pizza, chats and info about Ireland’s national civic medal! All welcome. Sign up here.
Transition to Employment is a series of events for students with a disability or who experience anxiety, stress, depression or other mental health challenges. It is run by the Career Development Centre and will take place in the Careers Seminar Room. All welcome.
- 1pm-2pm Weds 5th Feb Launch – Get support and advice regarding your career/job search.
- 1-2pm Weds 12th Feb Disclosure – Learn how/when to discuss your disability/mental health during job-hunting process.
- 1pm-2pm Weds 19th Feb Employer Panel – Meet employers and graduates in employment with disability/mental health challenges.
- 1pm-2pm Weds 26th Feb Wrap Up Session – Reflect on learnings from the programme.
Looking to Get Fit in a Non-Competitive, Social Environment?
NUIG Athletic Club’s Fit For Life are free weekly runs every Monday at 6pm meeting at the Kingfisher. This is suitable for all levels of fitness. Contact them here for more info.
The NUI Galway Postgraduate Open Day will take place 12pm-3pm Tues 4th Feb in the Bailey Allen Hall. Short presentations will take place during the day, covering such topics as funding opportunities, applications, and research. There will be over 100 stands on display, so this is your opportunity to meet lecturers and postgraduate students, see what postgraduate programmes are on offer, and to meet staff from Postgraduate Admissions, Career Development Centre, Graduate Studies, Fees Office, and other student support services.
ALIVE is hosting an SDG Workshop with World Vision Ireland that is free for all students to attend about Sustainable Fashion 5pm-7pm Weds 12th Feb in the Careers Seminar Room. More clothes are being produced and consumed, but fashion shouldn’t have to cost the earth. Food will be available for all.
FREE MMR Booster vaccination dose NOW available from Student Health Unit
Owing to the current national Mumps outbreak, which has been running since late 2018, causing over 3,500 cases of Mumps, and with over 250 cases already diagnosed so far this year, the HSE Dept of Public Health have announced the provision of a FREE MMR Booster vaccination dose. This MMR booster is recommended for any students aged up to 30 years old, who either cannot confirm or are unsure as to whether they previously received the standard recommended 2 doses of MMR vaccination. Should any student require and wish to avail of this FREE MMR Booster vaccination from the NUIG Student Health Unit service, then they should either call in to reception or phone 091-494 337 to book an appointment.
NUIG Swimming Club are holding a chili eating competition at 5pm on Mon 10th of Feb in Meeting Room 1 in Áras na Mac Léinn. There’ll be loads of prizes and free food for competitors and spectators. It’s gonna be spicy! More info on their insta
Menstrual Pain Among University Students in Ireland Survey
Would you like to take part in a short online survey about the impact of menstrual pain and the management strategies used to cope with it? If you have any questions please contact the researcher K.Monahan5@nuigalway.ie
Potterfest, a Harry Potter Convention hosted and organised by NUIG Pottersoc, is coming back for 2020 as PHOENIXFEST from Feb 7th to 9th.Including a Yule Ball Opening Ceremony Gala, as well as panels, quizzes, a raffle and more; we at Phoenixfest would love to see fellow Potterheads there! If interested in being involved or buying tickets, more information is available here
How does depersonalization and self-categorization affect students’ levels of social anxiety?
This study is concerned with exploring the relationship between NUI Galway undergraduate students levels’ of Self-Categorization, Social Anxiety, Attachment Style, Experiential Avoidance and Depersonalization and should take approximately 20 mins to complete.
Women Lead is a two day event on the 31st of Jan & 1st of Feb for self-defining women who are interested in running for leadership positions in their Students’ Unions or elsewhere in their community. It features two days of talks and panel discussions by inspirational women on everything from running a campaign to what it’s like to be a CEO!
Register for Women Lead 2020 with this form!
EDEN Conference: Call for Papers
“The Age of the Precariat: Identity and Precarity”: All Island Interdisciplinary Conference Hosted by the Early Doctoral Exchange Network (EDEN) at NUI Galway 24th-25th April. EDEN invites submissions by postgraduate and early doctoral researchers that explore the themes of Identity and Precarity. Abstracts of 250 words, along with a short biography of approx. 50 words, can be submitted by Mon 3rd Feb to email@example.com For more info email or follow us on Twitter @eden_nuig
Driver Experiences in Ireland: The link between childhood trauma and trauma following Road Traffic Collisions
You are invited to take part in an NUIG research study exploring how childhood trauma may be related to the trauma following road traffic collisions. Anyone can take part, as long as you are over 18 and have a driver’s license.
For more information regarding the survey, please click this link
Galway 2020 TV Promo – Extras Needed
On Sunday 2nd February Galway 2020 are shooting a promo to appear on TG4 and RTE. They require 100 extras aged 18 – 24, there will be bands, colourful flares and dancing. Shooting takes place from 8am -12pm. Contact: Wesleyoduinn@gmail.com to get involved.
LIFT Facilitator Training at NUIG
LIFT Ireland is a non-profit initiative that aims to increase the level of positive leadership capabilities in Ireland. Within ten years, LIFT Ireland wants 10% of the population to have taken part in our leadership learning process. If you are interested in learning more about becoming a LIFT Facilitator the next round of facilitator training is on at NUIG 9.30am-1.30pm Friday 7th of February.
Free Sahaja Yoga Meditation classes are back this Sat 1st Feb 2pm-3pm at OLBC Hall, 11 Ely Place, Sea Road Galway. All welcome every Saturday.
The USAC Fight Night will take place at 7.30pm on Thurs 27th Feb in the Clayton Hotel in aid of Galway Hospice Foundation. There will be raffle prizes on the night, great entertainment and a showcase of amateur boxing. Be sure to get your tickets, don’t miss out!
Know someone who would make a great #NUIGSU Officer? Maybe you are starting to think about running for election yourself! Recommend a friend (or yourself!) for #NUIGSU20 Elections here
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Mon-Fri 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Mon–Fri 11am-3pm.
NUI Galway Students’ Union Wind Down Week / Seachtain Scíthe Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn
Relax, Unwind, De-Stress and Breathe
Faigh faoiseamh ón strus agus lig do scíth
Monday 2nd December / Dé Luain 2 Nollaig
- 8am-9am Free seated Yoga Meditation in The View. Get tickets here.
- 12.30pm-3pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge outside reading room/library
- 1pm-2pm Free seated Yoga Meditation in The View. Get tickets here.
- 6.30pm-8pm Stress Less Have More Success In Exams. Free talk in AM200 Fottrell Theatre in the Arts Millennium Building. Aidan O’Flynn, Sports Psychologist & Psychotherapist, will speak about coping with stress during exam time. Michael Day, Sports Nutritionist, will have tips on eating to perform during exams.
Tuesday 3rd December / Dé Máirt 3 Nollaig
- 8.15am-8.45am Free Mindfulness Practice in Clinical Science Institute Room 2012
- 9am-10am Free Yoga Class in The Space. Get tickets here.
- 12pm-2pm Snowflakes and Angels. Join the NUIG Knit & Crochet Group in The Space to learn to crochet/knit snowflake or angel ornaments. €5 donation to COPE Galway. Bring own yarn/hooks/needles if you have them! Includes free tea/coffee.
- 12pm-3pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge at the Engineering Building
- 1pm-2pm Learn how to Hula Hoop in the View. Free class get tickets here.
- 3pm-4.30pm Colouring! Take a break and drop in to the Art Room for some colouring in + sweets!
- 3.30pm Christmas Tree Lighting outside Áras na Mac Léinn with choir singing, hot beverages, pastries and festive cheer!
Wednesday 4th December / Dé Céadaoin 4 Nollaig
- 12pm-3pm Charity Cake Sale & Pet Farm at Áras na Mac Léinn
- 12pm-2pm Animal Ambassadors in Meeting Rooms 1&2 Áras na Mac Léinn. Meet their Soothing Snakes, Silly Spiders, Lovely Lizards, Mysterious Mantids and Super Snails!
- 1.15pm-1.35pm Free Mindfulness Practice in Seminar Room 5, 2nd Floor Áras Moyola
Thursday 5th December / Déardaoin 5 Nollaig
- 12pm-2pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge at Smokey’s.
- 3pm-4.30pm Colouring! Take a break and drop in to the Art Room and Hub Central for some colouring in + sweets!
More information from / Tuilleadh eolais ar fáil ó email@example.com