Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
- Check, double check and triple check your timetable NOW! Every year we have students who read their timetable wrong and end up missing an exam – don’t be that guy!
- Find your College ID and bring it with you to every exam. If you have lost it call to the Student Information Desk to get a new one for €20. You will be fined €30 if you don’t have your ID with you.
- Plan how you are getting to the exams NOW and set all your alarms. You need to be there 20 minutes prior to the start of the examination so that’s: 09:10 for a 09:30 exam, 12:40 for a 13:00 exam and 16:10 for a 16:30 exam.
- Leave your phone at home – it’s a €20 fine for bringing your phone to the exam AND other penalties can include mark reduction and getting zero marks for the module.
- WASH! If you even have your shopping list written on your hand scrub it off. If you have any writing on your body, no matter how unrelated to the exam, you’ll fail the exam and have to repeat.
- Follow the directions of the Exam Invigilators at all times.
- If you need advice on deferring your exams please contact the SU Education Officer, Cathal Sherlock or your College Office.
- You can’t bring in pencil cases, glasses cases or calculator covers to the exam.
- You can’t leave the Exam Venue for the first hour or the last 30 mins of the exam
- Relax – you got this!
The Dog-Tor will See You!
We are now taking bookings for 15 minutes slot appointments with Max the SU Puppy (although he’s looking a bit bigger than puppy size now!) for the following days/times:
- 10am-12pm Wednesday 26th April
- 10am-12pm Wednesday 3rd May
- 10am-12pm Wednesday 10th May
NUI Galway students can get free Porridge in Sult and Smokey’s Café 9am-10am/while stocks last each morning.
Return your locker keys!
Just a quick reminder that your locker must be cleared out before 5pm on Tuesday 16th May 2017. We have over 3,200 lockers so we can’t “mind” your property until you get back from your holidays. Everything will be dumped, recycled or donated to charity. All keys must be dropped up to the Students’ Union Office in Áras na Mac Léinn.
Lockers will be available to purchase on our website from 10am on Monday 28th August 2017 for the 2017/18 term.
X Factor UK Auditions at NUIG Tuesday
If you ever wanted to take part in the X Factor call up to the Students’ Union Office 12pm-3pm next Tuesday 25th of April where auditions are being held. Please note you must be over 14 years old to take part. More information at https://www.itv.com/xfactor
Extra Study Space Available 8am-10pm Mon 24th April – Weds 10th May
O’Flaherty Theatre, Kirwan Theatre, Tyndall Theatre, Anderson Theatre
The Voice UK Auditions at NUIG Sunday
We are booking slots for The Voice UK auditions, which are on Sunday 23rd April in the O’Donoghue Centre for Drama, Theatre and Performance here on campus. Each student will get 5-10 minutes, which means we should be able to fit in up to 30 students altogether
This is open to current or recent students of NUI Galway ONLY.
We will fill slots first come, first served, and you must email BOTH addresses above.
Galway Water Quality Survey
Hi! We are the City Water Project, based in The Hague, Netherlands. We attempt to improve communications between water consumers and the government. In order to do that, we need your opinions on water quality. We would be very grateful if you could take seven minutes or so to fill out our survey here:
More information on the City Water Project can be found here:
Galway Rape Crisis Centre Volunteers Needed
Galway Rape Crisis Centre will be holding their annual flag day across Galway City and County on Friday 2nd of June. If you can help out for an hour or two please contact them on 091 564800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Free STI Clinics
The NUIG Health Unit Free STI Clinics have now finished for this semester but the good news is they will be back in September! The FREE STI Clinic at University College Hospital Galway is open all year round and you can phone them on 091- 525200 to make an appointment.
Grant Applications Open
SUSI is NOW OPEN for applications for the 2017-18 academic year for new and renewal students. Apply online here.
Library Study Break Policy In Operation
The Library Study Break Policy will be in operation until Wednesday 10th May. If you are taking a break use one of the “I’m taking a study break” sheets to mark what time you are leaving. Remember if you leave your belongings unattended at a desk for more than 1 hours other students have permission to move them and take your space.
Exam Results and Repeats
Exam Results will be released online between Tuesday 15th and Friday 23rd of June. Autumn exams are scheduled to take place from Tuesday 8th and Friday 18th of August.
March for Science – Saturday 22nd April in Dublin
The March for Science will occur on Earth Day, Saturday 22nd April, 2017 in Dublin. The aims of the March for Science are to stand up for science literacy, science communication, stable funding for scientific research, and government policy that is informed by science. Buses have been organised to transport marchers from Galway to Dublin and tickets can be bought for €15 in the Students’ Union at NUIG (from tomorrow) or can be ordered through We the People – Ireland.
Connacht Tickets LAST HOME GAME THIS YEAR
We now have €15 NUIG student tickets on sale for the final Connacht Rugby home match this season against Scarlets at 19:35 on Saturday the 29th of April. On sale in the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm.
The University bookshop has closed down but the SU Second-hand bookshop is still open for business.
You can browse our stock HERE and then call to the SU Office to pay for and collect your books.
Encouraging Female Entrepreneurs to maximise their full potential. Elevator Pitch Competition with prize package worth €4,000 at each event. Wednesday April 26th 2017, Breaffy House Hotel, Castlebar, Co. Mayo
Our office is upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Thursday 11am-3pm and Friday 11am-2pm.