Welcome to your last weekly email of the year from your Students’ Union.
Vote YES on Friday 22nd of May!
The paperwork is all done now it’s time for the real leg work to begin! If you want to make sure that the Marriage Equality Referendum passes on Friday 22nd of May here’s some ways to help:
1. Go Canvassing! Yes Equality Galway are canvassing across the city every evening and in town on the weekend. To get involved just get in touch with them or just turn up to help out.
2. Go Talking! Yes Meeting for Marriage Equality 7pm TONIGHT Thursday 7th May in Galway Arts Centre, Dominick Street. More information.
3. Go Marching! Galway will March for Marriage Equality 3pm Saturday 16th of May organised by Yes Equality. More Information
4. Go Voting! On Friday 22nd of May Polling stations will be open 7am-10pm bring your polling card and ID. Text/message/snapchat/yikyak everybody ALL DAY to make sure they have voted too!
Official results for Semester 1 and Semester 1 will be released between Tuesday, 9th and Wednesday, 17th June online. Where ‘Fail’, Absent’, ‘Incomplete’ or ‘Deferred’ appears as the Overall result on your transcript of results, you will be automatically registered to take any written modules for the Autumn repeat session of examinations. Repeat examinations are scheduled August 4th to 14th 2015.
SU Card Reminder– CASH IN YOUR POINTS NOW!
Remember to cash in any points on your SU Card and spend any balances before you leave for summer. You can access your SU Card account through the SU Website: https://www.su.nuigalway.ie/su-card
Although your card will still work in September, points cannot be carried forward to next year. If you have any queries, please contact us.
SU Second-hand Bookstore Clear-out
Just a quick reminder that you must collect any book belonging to you which are still in the SU Second-hand Bookstore before 5pm Friday May 16th 2015.
We cannot keep the books for you over the summer and any books which have not been collected by this date will be given away for free. We will be accepting books again at the end of August.
Extra Study Space 2015
Mon 4th May- Weds 13th May Arts/Science Concourse 8am-10pm
O’Flaherty Theatre, Cairnes Theatre, D’Arcy Thompson Theatre, AC201, AC202, AC203, AC204, Kirwan Theatre, Larmor Theatre, Dillon Theatre, Tyndall Theatre, McMunn Theatre
Connacht vs Ospreys Tickets €10
We now have €10 NUIG student tickets on sale for the last Connacht home match of the season against the Ospreys at 3pm Saturday 16th May.
Please note all lockers must be cleared out by Friday 15th May 2015
Please remember to drop your locker keys back to the Students’ Union Office by 5pm on Friday the 15th May 2015. Any items left in your locker after the 15th May 2015 will be disposed of.
Lockers for 2015/16 will go on sale on the SU Website at 10am on Monday 31st of August. You can book and pay online via www.su.nuigalway.ie
Celebrate Explore 12pm-1.45pm Wednesday 13th May in the Aula Maxima
Join us to experience this year’s diverse and exciting EXPLORE projects, to be inspired and to network. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
EXPORE was launched as a joint initiative of NUI Galway and NUI Galway Students’ Union. Since then, over 500 students and staff have partnered up to deliver more than 80 innovative projects. www.su.nuigalway.ie/explore
Kickstart Your Job Search
For all final years, postgrads, and graduates 9.30am-4pm on Thursday 14th May 2015 in IT250. Lunch provided!
Advice on CV’s & Interviews, Industry Panel Experts, Careers Clinic, Guidance, Workshops etc. Find out more www.nuigalway.ie/careers
Staying in Galway for the Summer?
You will be flat out! Here’s our guide to everything going on in Galway this summer. Yay Summer!
Conferrings will take place Monday 19th – Friday 24th October (Undergrads) and Tuesday 24th-Thursday 26th November (PhDs/Postgrads)
Alive Certificates Collection
You can now collect your Alive Volunteering Certificate from the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-12.30pm and 2pm-4.30pm.
SUSI Grant Applications now OPEN for 2015/16 Academic Year
ISIC and Student Leap Cards
Remember our office is open throughout the summer to issue ISIC Cards and Student Leap Cards. We take your photo and print them off straight away for €15.
The Human Rights Cinema, is on every Thursday at 7pm, in the Irish Centre for Human Rights.
May is the Local Filmmakers month, and we are going to be introduced to the filmography of local filmmakers that have human rights relevance.
You are all invited to this free event, this Thursday 7th of May, at 7pm, in the Irish Centre for Human Rights.
Follow the link to get more info.
Looking forward to an exciting evening celebrating local filmmakers and advocating for Human Rights!
The walk starts at Leisureland at 4.15am on Saturday. That’s late, late Friday night! The route takes in the prom and South Park, returning to Leisureland. Please get there early, as parking will be limited and some roads will be closed off. YOU CAN STILL REGISTER AND COLLECT T-SHIRTS AT THE FOLLOWING TIMES:
TODAY Thursday (Eyre Square Centre, upstairs) 4-9pm, Friday (Leisureland lobby) 5 to 8pm, Saturday (Leisureland main hall) 3 to 3.45am (ONLY!)
Free Films at 4th REEL LIVES FILM FESTIVAL: Celebrating Ageing Across the Lifecourse
In the Irish Centre for Social Gerontology Monday 18 – Friday 22 May at 1pm each day.
One Irish short + one main feature each day. Free refreshments and spot prizes
Thurs 1pm: NUI Galway Staff Choir. Fri 4pm: Guided walking tour of Dangan with Brendan Hynes
NUIG Colour Dash
11am Sunday 21st of June in aid of Irish Cancer Society. Register Now.
Galway African Film Festival Friday 22nd May to Sunday 24th May
The 8th Galway African Film Festival (GAFF), a local event with a global flair, is back in the Houston Film School NUIG offering a unique opportunity for film lovers to view high quality films not usually available in Ireland. And all for FREE! Places are limited and strictly on a first come first served basis – so make sure you do not miss this extraordinary film experience.
For more information on listings and times, and to download your very own festival brochure, see www.galwayafricanfilmfestival.org
Are you brave enough to take on The Chilli M.E. Challenge to raise funds and awareness for myalgic encephalomyelitis?
Take a bite of a hot chilli or shot of tabasco sauce, film your funny reaction and upload it to facebook for all your friends to laugh at. Then nominate five other friends and text HOT to 50300 for a €4 donation. All funds raised go to Invest in ME.
For more information go to www.chillimechallenge.wordpress.com or to see challenges already done go to The Chilli M.E. Challenge Facebook page.
Aware Connemara Cycle Saturday 16th May
Registration is now open for the Connemara Cycle 4 Light in aid of Aware on Saturday 16th of May. There is a 65km route or a 125km route, both of which start and finish in Delphi and take in the spectacularly beautiful surrounds of Connemara, Co. Galway. More Information.
Galway Fleadh at NUI Galway seeks Musical Volunteers!
16th and 17th May Volunteers are welcome to support this event to make it an enjoyable experience for visitors to the campus. Love and appreciation of music is all you need!
To volunteer sign up online: https://www.galwayfleadh.ie/Volunteer%20form.htm Volunteers will get lots of perks for supporting the event!
Registration Open for the Salthill Devon National 5 A Side Competition
- From Monday 18th of May the SU Office will be open Monday-Friday 10am-12.30pm & 2pm-4.30pm.
- From the 1st of June the Student Health Unit will only be seeing Postgrad & Masters students. Opening hours during the summer: 09:30am-12:30pm & 2.30pm-4.30pm.
- Smokey’s Café will be open 8:30am-5:30pm Monday to Friday. Closed Saturday/Sunday.
- The Wall Café will be open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday and 9am-5:30pm Saturday/Sunday.
- The SU Shop will be open Monday-Friday 8:30am-4pm. Closed Saturday/Sunday.
- The SU Cloakroom will close at 18:30 on Wednesday 13th May and will re-open at 9am on Monday 7th September.
- The SU Engineering desk will close at 15:00 on Wednesday 13th May and will re-open at 11am on Monday 7th September.
- SUMS, The Academic Writing Centre, Computer DISC and The Hub Café are all now closed for the summer.
College starts back on Monday 7th of September for all years.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-12.30pm & 2pm-4.30pm during the summer.
We would just like to thank everyone for a great year and remember that the current SU Officers are still working for you until the 30th of June. The newly elected officers will take up office on the 1st of July. We hope you all have a great summer.
Easter Holiday Arrangements 2015
- Lectures/Teaching: There will be no lectures/teaching on the following dates: Monday 30th March, Tuesday 31st March, Wednesday 1st April, Wednesday 8th April, Thursday 9th April & Friday 10th April. Easter Holidays are Thursday 2nd April to Tuesday 7th April inclusive. Please note that students of the school of Medicine, Nursing & Health Science should consult their school calendar here.
- Field Trips: Field Trips where relevant will take place between Monday 30th March-Wednesday 1st April and Wednesday 8th April-Friday 10th April.
- James Hardiman Library: The Library will be closed Friday 3rd April-Monday 6th April inclusive.
- The Reading Room: The Reading Room will be open as usual over the Easter.
- Student Health Unit: The Health Unit will be closed Thursday 2nd April-Tuesday 7th April inclusive.
- Students’ Union Office: The Students’ Union Office will be closed Thursday 2nd April-Tuesday 7th April inclusive.
- Students’ Union Cloakroom: The Cloakroom will close at 18:30 on Friday 27th March and will reopen at 09:00 on Monday 13th of April
- Students’ Union Engineering Desk: The Engineering Desk will close at 15:00 on Friday 27th March and will reopen at 11:00 on Monday 13th of April
- The College Bar: The Bar will be closed Friday 3rd April-Monday 6th April inclusive. Tuesday 7th April-Friday 10th April 10.30-18.30. Monday 13th of April normal hours resume.
- The College Bar Carvery: Tues 7th-Fri 10th April inclusive closed. Mon 13th April normal hours resume.
- The College Bar Coffee Dock: Tues 7th-Fri 10th April inclusive 08:30-15:00
- The College Bar Deli/Pizza (serving 1 Hot Dinner Option): Tues 7th – Fri 10th April 11:00-15:00. Mon 13th April normal hours resume. Please note there will be no evening pizzas Tues 7th-Fri 10th April.
- Smokey’s Café: Weds 1st April 08:30-20:00, Thurs 2nd April 09:00-17:00, Closed Fri 3rd April-Mon 6th April inclusive, Tues 7th April-Fri 10th April 08:30-20:00. Sat 11th & Sun 12th April 09:00-17.30.
- Caife na Gaeilge: Closed Thursday 2nd April – Friday 10th April inclusive. Monday 13th April normal hours resume.
- The Hub: Closed Monday 30th March-Friday 10th April inclusive. Monday 13th April normal hours resume.
- The SU Shop: Weds 1st April 08:00-21:00, Thurs 2nd April 08:00-21:00, Closed Fri 3rd April-Mon 6th April inclusive
- The Wall Café: Weds 1st April 08:00-20:00, Thurs 2nd April 08:00-20:00, Fri 3rd April 09:00-17:00, Sat 4th April 09:00-17:00, Mon 5th April 09:00-17:00, Tues 6th April 08:00-21:00
- Academic Writing Centre: Closing for Eater on Friday 27th March and re-opening on Monday 13th April.
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union!
It has come to our attention that some students are leaving their belongings including jackets, books and notes at desks in the reading room overnight and not returning to their desk until late morning or in some cases late evening. Students who are not at their desk for longer than 30 minutes between the hours of 06:00 until 09:00 can have their belongings set aside by other students and some staff who will be occasionally monitoring the area.
The onus is on you if you leave your belongings unattended as this is a 24hour facility and can be accessed by any student at any time.
Also for the cleaners to be able to carry out their role and maintain the upkeep of the room could all students have their belongings removed from their desk when they enter for their half an hour from 05:45 – 06:15.
The 24 Hour Reading Room runs until Friday 13 December.
Learn Something New in 2014
Enrolment is now open in the Students’ Union for the following Life Skills courses in 2014:
$1· Cardiac First Responder Course Thurs 30th Jan 9am-1pm €40 (usual price €70)
$1· Occupational First Aid 3 day Course Fri 21st Feb, Fri 28th Feb & Fri 7th Mar 9am-5.30pm €100 (usual price €200)
$1· 10 Week Basic Sign Language Course Course A: Tues 28th Jan – Tues 1st April 12pm-1pm. Course B: Tues 28th Jan – Tues 1st April 1pm-2pm. Course C: Weds 29th Jan – Weds 2nd April 6pm-7pm€40 (usual price €70)
Operation Santa – Christmas Toy Appeal Deadline Mon 9th Dec
You are invited to contribute to this year’s Christmas Toy Appeal. If you have any unused toys please drop them off at the Students’ Union office, upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn. They will be donated to St Vincent de Paul’s ‘Operation Santa’, which assists Irish families struggling this Christmas. The deadline for donation isthis Monday, 9 December.
Christmas Exam Buses Monday 2nd December – Monday 16th December 2013
NUI Galway Students’ Union in partnership with City Direct Bus has organised a Christmas Exam Bus service from NUI Galway to the Salthill Exam Venues of Leisureland and the Galway Bay Hotel. Buses will leave University Road bus stop 30 minutes before the exam starts and will provide a non-stop service to Leisureland. Return buses will leave from Leisureland 10 minutes after the exam finishes and drop students back to University Road.
Cost: €2 per journey.
Connacht Rugby Ticket Update – Christmas Matches
NUI Galway Student Tickets are on sale NOW in the SU Office for:
Connacht vs Toulouse Saturday 14th December at 6pm €15
Connacht vs Dragons Saturday 21st December at 5pm €10
Connacht vs Leinster Saturday 4th January at 7.15pm €10
Please note that the SU is closed for the Christmas holidays from Monday 23rd December until Tuesday 7th January so tickets need to be bought prior to this for the Leinster match.
Extra Study Space Semester 1 2013
Larmor Theatre Sunday 1 Dec – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08-00 until 22.00)
Tyndall Theatre Friday 29 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
O’Flaherty Theatre Friday 29 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Cairnes Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Darcy Thompson Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Kirwan Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Dillon Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
McMunn Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Aras Uí Chathail Theatre Sat 30 Nov – Tuesday 10 Dec (08.00 until 22.00)
24 Hour Reading Room Monday 25 Nov- Friday 13 Dec
SU Enterprise Awards 2014 €23,000 Prize Fund
The NUI Galway Students’ Union Enterprise Awards aim to unlock the potential of the students of NUI Galway to invest in their own futures today.
If you have an idea for a new business or a social enterprise then this can be the competition that can allow you to realise your goal. Students are invited to sketch out the initial proposals for their project or business and to draw up the plans they hope will make their idea a reality. The finalists will be given the chance to take their ideas forward and to set about implementing their projects with the assistance of a financial allowance, workshops and clinics.
The overall winner will receive a direct investment of €10,000 in their project to really help get it off the ground in addition to further guidance and mentoring to help bring the project forward, while two runners up prizes, each valued at €5,000 will also be awarded. The six final projects going through to the second stage of the competition will each receive a €500 bursary.
Closing Date for Submissions is 5pm Friday 17th January 2014. More information, submission template and competition rules are available here.
Support Centres Update
$1· SUMSthe free FREE mathematics support service for students will close for Christmas at 17:00 on Friday 6th December 2013
$1· TheAcademic Writing Centreis still open until Friday 13th December. Make use of their FREE one-on-one writing sessions in the Library.
$1· Computer DISCFREE Support for programming and software development students.
Sin Issue 6 Out Now
The last issue of Sin for 2013 is available to read online now here.If you want to get involved with the paper in 2014 they will be meeting every Thursday 6pm-7pm in AC215 on the Concourse or you can contact the Editor Jess on email@example.com
No Mobile Phones in Exams
Mobile phones will not be tolerated inside exam halls during exams. The best option is to leave it at home before you come in for your exam. If it is left with your belongings outside of the exam hall the University holds no responsibility for items stolen. Students found to have mobile phones in the exam will have them confiscated and be fined €20. Confiscated phones can be collected from the Student Information Desk in Áras Uí Chathail. More information on exam rules and regulations is available here.
Amnesty International conference “Stand up against gender-based violence” Tonight
6.30pm Thursday December 5th in Room AC203, Arts Concourse More Information.
Exams & ID Cards
Make sure you bring your ID card with you and place it on your desk during your exam for inspection. If you do not present your current ID card you will be fined €30. If you have misplaced or lost your ID card, you can get it replaced at the Student Information Desk, Áras Uí Chathail for a fee of €30. During the Exam period the Student Information Desk will be open 09:00-12:30 and 14:00-16:00 Monday to Friday.
116000 Missing Children’s Hotline
ISPCC Childline is one of the charities that we are supporting in 2013/14. Each time you buy an SU Charity Calendar for €5 you are supporting the important work this charity does. Please share this new short movie to raise awareness for their 116 000 Missing Children’s Hotline. The Hotline aims to provide advice and support to both young people and adults regarding the issue of missing children 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. This powerful short movie highlights just one scenario that could occur when a child goes missing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZkklDud8xc
Greifswald International Students Festival “Lost in Consumption – Rethinking Economy”.
In June 2014 we will conduct our seventh international students’ festival in Germany. More than 100 students from all over Europe will get together to exchange views on global themes and get to know one another. The application phase is already running and will end on the 15th of January, 2014. Accommodation and food will be provided – students just need to be over 18 and able to pay to travel to the event. A small travel support budget is also available. More detailed information about the festival and its programme can be found here www.students-festival.de.
Naked Charity Calendar on Sale NOW €5
The NUI Galway Students’ Union 2014 NakedCharity Calendar is on sale across campus nowand is an ideal Christmas present supporting two great charities: Galway Rape Crisis Centre and ISPCC/Childline. 63 brave NUI Galway students revealed all for the calendar and you can get an eyeful for only €5! Calendars are on sale from the Students’ Union Office, the SU Shop, the SocsBox, the Hub, Smokey’s and the SU desk in the Engineering Building.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our new reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.