Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
NUI Galway Students’ Union Mental Health Week Events 2018
Monday 8th October
- 1pm-3pm Mental Health Monday at Smokey’s/Online – Who Do You Talk To?
- 12pm-2pm Add a Buddy to Your Tea with Best Buddies Society in the View, Áras na Mac Léinn
- 5pm-6.15pm Using Collage Making as a Tool to Improve your Mental Health in the Art Room in Áras na Mac Léinn. Limited spaces – to register email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 5pm-6pm Dance Soc Zumba to Destress in The Cube, Áras na Mac Léinn
- 7pm-8.30pm What’s The Tea with Baking Society in IT202
Tuesday 9th October
- 8am-8.50am Mindfulness for Beginners Class in AC201
- 11am-5pm Vintage Clothes Fair in Áras na Mac Léinn
- 11am-4pm Paintball Promo in Áras na Mac Léinn
- 12pm-3pm Fáilte Refugees Society Old School Sports Day in the Kingfisher with prizes
- 4pm-7pm Please Talk Goal Setting & Achieving What You Want Workshop in SC200A
- 7pm-9pm Our Mental Health Documentary Screening in O’Flaherty Theatre
Wednesday 10th October
- 10pm-1.50pm Mindfulness Shared Practice in AC202
- 5pm-6pm Dance Soc Salsa Class to Destress in The Cube
- 5.30pm-8pm Wellness Workshop #MentalHealth4Millennials in Lecture Room 3 Áras Moyola
- 5.30pm-7pm Positive Mind-set and Resilience in AMB 1064
- 7pm-10pm Inside Out screening by Film Soc in the D’Arcy Thompson Theatre
- 7pm-9pm Gig Soc Film Night LGBT+ Short Film Screenings + Popcorn in IT202
Thursday 11th October
- 10am-11am Homesickness and How To Combat It Talk in the Art Room, Áras na Mac Léinn
- 11am-1pm Gig Soc Coming Out Day Coffee Morning in the Art Room, Áras na Mac Léinn
- 7pm Writer’s Soc Night inspired by how to handle a panic attack in AC215
- 8pm NUIG Comedy Soc Gig in the Bank of Ireland Theatre. FREE Event includes Free Pizza and Free Refreshments.
- Look out for the Welfare Crew handing out freebies throughout the week
- FREE Condoms and TOMPAX available all week from the SU
- Online ‘Silvercloud’ self- help available
- Mental Health Quote Walls in Áras na Mac Léinn and the Engineering Building
More information from/Tuilleadh eolais ar fáil ó email@example.com
Register to Vote
Are you registered to vote? Collect your voter registration form in the SU Office now. You can CHECK THE REGISTER HERE.
Hot Press + Free Tea TODAY!
Head up to Smokey’s Café 1pm-3pm TODAY where Hot Press will have copies of their Mental Health Issue and FREE tea!
Congratulations to Eibhlín Seoighthe (SU Vice-President/Education Officer) and Victoria Chihumura (SU Ethnic Minorities Officer) on their recent elections. They join the rest of your NUI Galway Students’ Union team.
If you are interested in running for election to join the 2019/2020 SU Officer team nominations will open on Thursday the 21st of February. More info here.
NUIG Student Connacht Rugby Tickets
Use the discount code “NUIG-Bor-1819” to get reduced rate tickets online for Connacht Rugby vs Bordeaux Begles EU Challenge Cup match 3pm Saturday 13th of October.
Please note we won’t be getting discount codes for Leinster, Munster or Ulster matches.
Paintball Promotion Tuesday
Interested in trying Paintball? Call down to Áras na Mac Léinn 11am-4pm on Tuesday 9th of October.
Commuter Challenge – Sign Up and Win!
Have you registered for the NUI Galway Commuter Challenge yet? There’s still time to register and it’s running until the 11th of November with lots of great prizes to be won!
Get moving, get active & win – Sign up now here.
Our Vintage Clothes and Sportswear Fair is back this Tuesday 9th of October 11am-5pm in Áras na Mac Léinn.
- First Aid Responder 3 Day Course – 2 spaces left
- Disclosure Training – 8 spaces left
- Cardiac First Responder Course – 10 spaces left
- Anti-Racism Training Course – 12 spaces left
- Child Protection Training Course – 15 spaces left
October Class Reps Meetings
|Mon 15th Oct||6pm-8pm||Kirwan Theatre||Concourse||SU Council|
|Tues 23rd Oct||6pm-7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Arts Council|
|Thurs 18th Oct||6pm-7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Law/Commerce Council|
|Tues 23rd Oct||6pm – 7pm||MY127 Lecture Theatre 3||Áras Moyola||Health Sciences Council|
|Thurs 25th Oct||6pm-7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Science Council|
|Tues 30th Oct||6pm-7pm||ENG2003 Lecture Room 2||Engineering Building||Engineering Council|
|Weds 31st Oct||2pm–3pm||Students’ Union Exec Office||Áras na Mac Léinn||Postgrad Council|
Every class is entitled to a Class Representative to represent their class. If you have any questions on the roles and responsibilities of a Class Rep contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The Academic Writing Centre offers free one-on-one tutorials on essay writing for NUIG students. The AWC helps students to overcome recurrent problems with grammar, punctuation, spelling, and essay structure.
Free Mindfulness for Students Classes
- Mindfulness for beginners class 8.10am-8.50am Tues 9th Oct in AC201 on the concourse. There are many proven benefits of applying mindfulness to our lifestyles – across learning, work, life and life, and this free class will help you to bring mindfulness into your everyday life.
- Mindfulness Shared Practice 1.10pm-1.50pm Weds 10th Oct in AC202 on the concourse. All are welcome to this mindfulness shared practice which is suitable for people with no previous knowledge of mindfulness as well as those who have been practising for many years. Mindfulness shared practice is also available in Letterkenny, Shannon and Sligo throughout the week.
Free Workshop: Using Collage Making as a Tool to Improve your Mental Health
5pm Monday 8th October in the Art Room upstairs in Áras Na Mac Léinn. Limited spaces – to register email email@example.com
Note taking & Study Skills
5.30pm-7pm TODAY Thurs 4th Oct Library Lobby 1st floor, Bridge Room (1001)
- Learn practical study skills that make a real difference
- Practical note-taking for lectures and study
- Organise your study and limit distractions
PhD Support Group
Tuesdays 1pm-2:30pm in the Small Acoustic Room in Áras na Mac Léinn. Facilitated, peer-led confidential support group providing practical and personal support for your PhD journey
Post Grad Support Group
Wednesdays 1pm-2:30pm in the Small Acoustic Room in Áras na Mac Léinn. Facilitated, peer-led confidential support group providing practical and personal support for your Post Grad journey
Give Your Opinion on NUIG Accommodation Services
The Accommodation Office are looking for your views on NUI Galway’s current accommodation options. You can win an iPad or 1 of 4 cash prizes. They would really appreciate if you help them to understand how the options currently available meet your needs, and where you are living now. The results of this survey will help them in their efforts to source accommodation and to improve your student experience. Please take 3 minutes to complete the survey HERE.
Sew Scary Halloween Costume Competition
As part of Reuse Month Galway City Council are running a Halloween Costume Competition. Design your Halloween costume by recycling/upcycling old clothes/materials and you could win €100! Enter by sending a photograph of the costume (ideally being modelled!) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm on Monday 22nd October 2018. More info and rules here.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.