Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
King Kong Company are playing a FREE GIG at 9pm tonight at Sult. It’s been a long semester and ye deserve an epic party! Here’s what to expect tonight
Due to the cold snap we have rescheduled our FREE Outdoor Cinema to 8pm on Wednesday 10th of April. There’ll be free popcorn and an ice-cream van!
Sign up is now open for our next 8 week yoga course which starts on Thursday 11th of April and is just €40! Beginners/Improvers 6pm-7.30pm and Intermediate 7.30pm-9pm. Sign up now in the SU Office or phone 091 493 570 to pay with credit/debit card.
Extra Study Space Semester 2 Exams 2019
The following venues will be available 8am-10pm as extra study space
Thurs 11th April- Fri 10th May:
- IT206 IT Building
- SC004 Charles McMunn Theatre Concourse
- SC005 Tyndall Lecture Theatre Concourse
- TB302 Seminar Room Tower 2
- TB303 Seminar Room Tower 2
- TB304 Seminar Room Tower 2
- TB305 Seminar Room Tower 2
- TB307 Seminar Room Tower 2
Fri 12th April – Fri 10th May:
- AM109 Arts Millennium Building
- AM110 Arts Millennium Building
- SC003 Thomas Dillon Theatre Concourse
- SC002 Joseph Larmor Theatre Concourse
There will be snakes, spiders, insects and other guests to meet you for the pre-exam stress relief today upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn.
Karaoke is back at Sult from 9pm tomorrow night Friday 5th of April.
Locker Key Return Deadline
Just a quick reminder that your locker must be cleared out and key returned before 5pm on Friday 10th of May to the Students’ Union office in Áras na Mac Léinn. We’re open 10am-5pm Monday – Friday. Any items left in the locker after this date will be dumped, recycled or donated to charity.
We will be holding our end of the Marchathon Challenge Celebration 10.30am Thursday 11th of April in the Corrib Room at Sult. There’ll be tea, coffee and pastries. All participants are invited and there might even be some prizes!
SU Bookstore Collection Deadline
Just a quick reminder that you must collect any books belonging to you which are still in the SU Second-hand Bookstore before 4.30pm on Wednesday 15th May. We cannot keep the books for you over the summer and any books which have not been collected by this date will be given away for free.
Sin Issue 12
Read the last issue of Sin Newspaper this year HERE
FREE STI Clinics Finish Weds 10th April
Just a reminder that the free STI clinics finish in the Student Health Unit on Wednesday 10th of April for this semester. There’s a year round free STI clinic at the hospital, more details here, and you can get free condoms from the SU Office all summer long!
Need help with programming?
ComputerDISC is open until 2pm Friday 26th of April More Info.
You are invited to the launch of Fierce As Female in City Hall at 2.30pm on Monday 8th April. Fierce As Female will take place in Galway in September and will encourage increased participation of women and girls in Sport. The event will be a taster weekend of sport, showcasing over 30 different sports and athletic endeavours, from yoga and roller derby, to boxing, kitesurfing, circus skills and beyond. Fierce As Female will also host panels with experienced female athletes and speakers throughout the event.
Upcoming Sinn Féin Society Events – All Welcome
- Women In Politics Panel Discussion 7pm-9pm Tues 9th April in G011. Guest speakers: Cllr Mairéad Farrell SF, Pauline O’Reilly Green Party, Sharon Nolan SocDems, Claire Kerrane SF and Jessy Ni Cheallaigh. We’re collaborating with the feminist society and there will be catering provided.
- #TheNorthIsNext Poster Making Workshop 7pm Weds 10th April in Áras na Gaeilge. We’ll be making posters demanding reproductive rights for our sisters, mothers, daughters, and friends in the north. We’ll be sticking them around campus so be as creative as you want! We’ll have tea, coffee, and refreshments too.
- Debate: “This House Supports the Legalisation of Cannabis for Medicinal Use” Weds 17th April. We’ll be hosting a debate surrounding this topic, the speakers proposing the motion are Joe Loughnane PBP, Louise O’Reilly TD Sinn Féin Health Spokesperson, and Luke “Ming” Flanagan MEP. The speakers on the opposing side are yet to be revealed. Free pizza!
More info from: firstname.lastname@example.org
Paid Work: Students Required for Sentiment Annotation
If you are seeking some extra cash and would like to take your part in an annotation experiment, feel free to apply for this job. I am currently hiring participants as part of my PhD at the Unit for Natural Language Processing (UNLP) of the Data Science Institute, NUI Galway. My topic focuses on sentiment analysis in financial news articles. I am looking for native-speakers of English having a background in business/economics with experience in finance and the area of investing. Ideally, you have a daily interest in the stock markets.
In the experiment, you will be asked to read a news article extract and judge it in terms of the contained sentiment. Payment is €23.24 per hour and you’ll annotate between 5 and 35 hours. To apply email email@example.com with a description of your professional career, your current state of studies and your experience in investing. More information.
Personality, mHealth and influenza vaccination uptake in adults with asthma
Participants needed for research exploring associations between personality and intention to engage in asthma self-care processes. If you are aged 18 years old or above and have been diagnosed with asthma you are eligible to participate. There is a €30 euro One4All voucher to be won by one participant who completes the full study.
The survey takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. Full ethical approval has been received to conduct this research.
Are you a filmmaker or producer?
CÚRAM at NUI Galway and Galway Film Centre will host ‘Science on Screen’ Information Day TOMORROW. A fund of €35,000 is available to create a documentary on the topic of Public and Patient Involvement. Register for this event now at: https://bit.ly/2FU76lQ
Join us at 5pm on Tuesday 9th of April at Galway’s Town Hall Theatre for the launch of ROPES Literary Journal 2019! Come join us for a night of readings and wine as we celebrate the publication of this year’s edition, titled ‘Unearthed’. The keynote speaker at the launch will be acclaimed writer Melatu Uche Okorie, 2009 winner of Metro Éireann Writing Award and author of the 2018 short story collection, This Hostel Life. Proceeds from the sale of the journal will go to Galway Simon Community.
Are you a young adult (15-30 years) living with asthma? We want to hear from you!
We are running focus groups with young adults aged 15-30 years, living with asthma, to hear their opinion on what to include in a digital tool, e.g. a smartphone app or website, to support their adherence to preventer inhalers. The focus groups will be held over the next few weeks and will last approximately one hour. If you are interested in finding out more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NUI Galway Bachelor of Commerce graduate, Alan Mulligan will release his first film, ‘The Limit Of’ nationwide this Friday 5th of April. At the age of 30 Alan realised that he had a passion for film-making, deciding to leave his successful role in Finance to become a film producer, director and writer, without any previous experience. The Eye Cinema in Galway are hosting a special Q & A screening at 6.20pm on Tuesday 9th of April which will be attended by Alan and the lead cast.
Galway 2020 is now seeking expressions of interest from communities who wish to develop a project for Round 2 of the Small Towns Big Ideas programme and funding of €200,000 is available. Applications are invited from community and voluntary organisations, cultural organisations, heritage groups, festival bodies, artist collectives, schools, sports bodies, and other such groups. Interested groups are asked to create projects that demonstrate collaboration, ambition, creativity, community involvement, European dimension and of course, respond to the core themes of Galway 2020. The deadline for submission of Expressions of Interest is 5pm on Friday 10th of May.
Thurs 4th April TODAY!
- 2pm-5pm Soothing Scales meet the animals in Áras na Mac Léinn with Animal Ambassadors
- 9pm-10.30pm King Kong Company Free Gig at Sult
Fri 5th/Sat 6th April
- Writing and Well-Being: The Academic Writing Centre Annual Conference
More information from email@example.com
Library Study Break Policy
The Library study break policy is back until Friday 10hth of May. Pick up a study break form on your way in to the library. You can have a break of up to 60 minutes but don’t forget to fill out the form and leave it on your desk or another student can take your place.
The deadline to register to vote or to change your address to make sure you can vote on 24th of May in the Local Elections and European Elections is Tuesday 7th of May. You can pick up the paperwork to register to vote or to change your address details in the Students’ Union Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm. We will have the Gardaí at our Voter Registration Drives at Smokey’s Café 12pm-2pm Weds 24th April to stamp your paperwork – just bring your passport or driving licence!
With Maths – SUMS
With Programming – Computer DISC
With Academic Skills – Academic Skills Hub
With Anything – SU Grinds Register
- 15:00 Saturday 13th April Connacht vs Cardiff: NUIG-Car-1819
Buy your tickets on the Connacht Rugby website and use the codes above to get the reduced rate NUIG student price. Valid for 50 tickets per match. NUIG student ID required. Bohermore Terrace only.
Cúirt Starts Monday
Cúirt International Festival of Literature starts on Monday and runs until the 14th of April across Galway and lots of the events are free! More info + tickets
Easter Holiday Arrangements
- Teaching ends on Sat 6th of April.
- Field Trips (where applicable) take place Mon 8th April – Weds 10th April.
- Study Week takes place Thurs 11th April – Thurs 18th April.
- Exams Begin Tues 23rd April (except for 5MB3 Students who start Mon 8th April)
- The Students’ Union Office will close at 5pm on Tues 16th April and will reopen at 10am on Tues 23rd April.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will close at 3pm on Fri 5th April and reopen at 11am on Tues 23rd April.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 5th April and reopen at 9am on Thurs 25th April.
- Sult will be closed Fri 19th-Mon 22nd April Inclusive.
- The James Hardiman Library will be open 10am-6pm Fri 19th Sat 20th & Sun 21st April and 8.30am-10pm Mon 22nd April.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will be closed Fri 19th– Mon 22nd April inclusive. They will re-open at 8.30am on Tues 23rd April. Opening hours during exams are 8.30am-5.30pm and closed for lunch 1pm-2pm.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with their last issue on Tues 2nd April.
- The Academic Writing Centre will close on Friday 29th of March for summer.
- ComputerDISC will close at 2pm on Friday 26th of April for summer.
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.
NUI Galway Students’ Union Wind Down Week / Seachtain Scíthe Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn
Relax, Unwind, De-Stress and Breathe
Faigh faoiseamh ón strus agus lig do scíth
Monday 1st April / Dé Luain an 1 Aibreán
- 9am-10am Learn How to Yoga Class in The View. COURSE FULL 29/02/19
- 11am-12pm Learn How To Hula Hoop and more in The View (Fully Accessible Class). Free Tickets on Eventbrite.
- 1pm-2pm Learn How to Drum in The Large Acoustic Room. Free Tickets on Eventbrite.
Tuesday 2nd April / Dé Máirt an 2 Aibreán
- 8.10am-8.50am Mindfulness for Beginners Class in AC201
- 12pm ALIVE Volunteering Awards Ceremony with tea and cake!
- 7pm NUIG 5k in aid of Jigsaw Galway
Wednesday 3rd April / Dé Céadaoin an 3 Aibreán
- 11am-4pm La Roche Posay Promo with freebies in Áras na Mac Léinn
- 1pm-2pm Arts in Action “Staging the Archive” Free performance in O’Donoghue Centre
- 1.10pm-1.50pm Mindfulness Shared Practice in AC201
- 8pm-9.30pm Free Outdoor Cinema at the Engineering Building. Vote on the Facebook Event page for the movie we show! POSTPONED TO WEDS 10th April DUE TO WEATHER!
Thursday 4th April / Déardaoin an 4 Aibreán
- 2pm-5pm Soothing Scales meet the animals in Áras na Mac Léinn with Animal Ambassadors. There’ll be snakes, lizards, spiders and other insects.
- 9pm-10.30pm King Kong Company Free Gig at Sult
Friday 5th/Saturday 6th April / Dé hAoine an 5/Dé Sathairn an 6 Aibreán
- Writing and Well-Being: The Academic Writing Centre Annual Conference
More information from / Tuilleadh eolais ar fáil ó email@example.com