We are Recruiting: Peer Learning Intern
NUI Galway Students’ Union seeks a friendly, energetic and goal-oriented Intern to provide support to existing staff on its CÉIM academic peer learning programme. This is a varied role in which the successful candidate will be required to work closely with diverse partners including students and academic staff to help ensure the effective delivery of CÉIM.
CÉIM is an academic peer support scheme based on the Peer Assisted Study Sessions / Peer Assisted Learning (PASS/PAL) model. CÉIM supports 1st year students’ transition to higher education, health and wellbeing, academic success, progression and development of transferable skills. Delivered via a partnership between students, academic staff and the Students’ Union, CÉIM will be offered to approximately 1,500 or nearly 50% of NUI Galway 1st year students from September 2019. See further information on www.su.nuigalway.ie/ceim
The Intern will be employed by NUI Galway Students’ Union on a fixed-term part-time contract (3 days per week).
Contract duration: Mid-August 2019 – Late April 2020
Working days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (7 hours per day)
- Handle day-to-day tasks to ensure the smooth running of CÉIM.
- Provide general programme and administrative support.
- Organise materials for student leaders, weekly meetings and training.
- Provide support to individual students and groups of students.
- Attend weekly meetings with students and academic staff.
- Support the CÉIM Director and CÉIM Administrator with various duties as they arise.
- Understanding of the CÉIM programme, and an interest in supporting students to make the most of their time at university.
- Strong organisational and administration skills.
- Experienced Microsoft Office user.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Friendly and professional manner with the ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Highly adaptable with a solution-oriented outlook.
- Excellent work ethic and commitment to deadlines and deliverables.
- The capacity to acquire new skills and apply them to the role.
Applications must include:
- Cover Letter outlining your suitability for the post and why you are interested in the post.
- Curriculum Vitae.
Applications via email to:
NUI Galway Students’ Union
Closing date: 5:00pm, Friday, 24 May 2019
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place on: Wednesday, 12 June 2019
Applications are now OPEN for the vacant positions at the NUI Galway Students’ Union Cloakroom and Engineering Building Information Point for the 2018/19 academic term.
Please send your CV together with cover letter to Joanna Brophy, Assistant Manager, NUI Galway Students’ Union by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5pm on Monday 27th of August.
Full job description is available here: Job Description SU Engineering Desk Staff
Late applications will not be accepted.
The NUI Galway Students’ Union Cloakroom will be open 9am-6pm Thursdays & Fridays during term time. The Engineering Desk will be open 11am-3pm Monday-Friday from Monday 3rd September 2018.
Please only apply if you will be available to work during these hours.
Please note: You must be available for training on Wednesday 29th August and be prepared to start work from Friday 31st August 2018.
Sin Newspaper is the official Student Newspaper of NUI Galway. A fortnightly publication published by the Students’ Union, the paper includes a mix of campus news, features, sport and reviews.
Sin.ie is the online information resource of NUI Galway Students’ Union. The website will include up to date news and features and will be a comprehensive information and resource centre for NUI Galway students with regards to college and local news in particular.
The Sin Editor will be a self starter who works well with others and has particular strengths in working with, and motivating a team of volunteers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, direct and motivate a team of voluntary sub editors and writers.
- Overall responsibility for sourcing newspaper and website content
- Maintain a high standard of writing in both Sin Newspaper and Sin Website
- Edit 12 issues of Sin Newspaper in conjunction with the Students’ Union
- Update Sin.ie website and social media platforms regularly with news, features etc
- Work with the Graphic Designer to ensure consistent design and layout.
- Develop links with other student publications to facilitate sharing of information and resources
- Oversee distribution of Sin Newspaper across campus
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time
€500 stipend per issue.
Applications by cover letter and CV to:
Closing date: 5:00pm Monday 17th July 2017
Interviews: Friday 28th July
APPLICATIONS NOW CLOSED
NUI GALWAY STUDENTS’ UNION COMMERCIAL SERVICES LTD.
As part of an exciting strategic refurbishment of the NUIG campus Bar venue, the position of Bar Operations Manager is being recruited for. The rebranded venue will have several new food concepts and corporate event business. The College Bar is the main social and entertainments venue on the NUI Galway campus, playing host to clubs, societies and class parties in a safe and friendly environment. It also has a substantial Restaurant and Café business. It is operated by the NUI Galway Students’ Union Commercial Services Ltd and comprises one part of the company’s wider operations.
Job Title: Bar Operations Manager
Purpose of Job:
The Manager will be responsible for maximizing the performance of the unit and those employed therein, including event management, customer satisfaction, employee engagement, sales and financial performance.
Main Responsibilities & Duties:
- Manage the operation of the bar to ensure consistent positive customer experiences through the implementation of service standards and KPIs.
- Effectively lead, motivate, develop and manage the team, aligning individuals’ goals and objectives to those strategic to the success of the organisation.
- Maintain and develop policies, systems and procedures to ensure the smooth operation of the business.
- Oversee the development and consistent delivery of the food and beverage offering.
- Promote, sell and deliver student and corporate events at this iconic campus venue.
- Work closely with the accounts department to ensure set budgets and financial targets are achieved.
- Manage a calendar of marketing and promotions activities to maximise the venues sales and profile.
- Regular reporting to senior management on College Bar operations and performance.
Required Skills & Experience:
This operational role requires the ideal candidate to have a minimum of 5 years previous management experience in both busy Bar & Restaurant environments. Excellent interpersonal, organisational, leadership and management skills are essential.
- Event Management experience, in both sales and event delivery, minimum 2 years.
- A passion for food and extensive experience in current food trends.
- Good ability to manage pressurised situations and busy periods.
- Demonstrates success and leadership in operational excellence, customer satisfaction and employee development.
- Experience of managing budgets, cost controls and profitability.
- Excellent customer care skills and a commitment to providing excellent standards of customer service.
- Computer literacy, excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
- Workable knowledge of or willingness to learn Irish
To apply, please submit a letter of application, along with your current CV and at least two referees to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications is the 24th of June 2016.
NUI Galway Students’ Union Commercial Services Ltd.is an equal opportunities employer.
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Here’s our top 10 tips for the exams next week
1. Check, double check and triple check your timetable NOW! Every year we have students who read their timetable wrong and end up missing an exam – don’t be that guy!
2. Find your College ID and bring it with you to every exam. If you have lost it call to NUIG – Student Information Desk to get a new one for €20. You will be fined €30 if you don’t have your ID with you.
3. Plan how you are getting to the exams NOW and set all your alarms. And your housemates alarms. You need to be there 20 minutes prior to the start of the examination so that’s: 09:10 for a 09:30 exam, 12:40 for a 13:00 exam and 16:10 for a 16:30 exam.
4. Leave your phone at home – it’s a €20 fine for bringing your phone to the exam AND other penalties can include mark reduction and getting zero marks for the module.
5. WASH! If you even have your shopping list written on your hand scrub it off. If you have any writing on your body, no matter how unrelated to the exam, you’ll fail the exam and have to repeat.
6. Follow the directions of the Exam Invigilators at all times.
7. If you need advice on deferring your exams please contact the SU Education Officer, Rebecca Melvin or your College Office.
8. You can’t bring in pencil cases, glasses cases or calculator covers to the exam.
9. You can’t leave the Exam Venue for the first hour or the last 30 mins of the exam
10. Relax – you got this!
Vote for us AGAIN! (Pretty Please!)
We are now through to the FINAL of the People’s Choice Award for the Online Marketing in Galway Awards thanks to your votes! So we need you to please vote for us one more time as we are up against some stiff competition and voting has now reopened. It’s one vote per IP address again with no messy registration. Voting deadline 5pm Friday 29th April.
We also made it to the Semi-Final for the Social Media award category. Fingers crossed we scoop something on the night and make ye proud!
We Are Hiring!
We are looking for enthusiastic people to join our team in the College Bar & Smokey’s Café. Applications close Sunday 24th April. Online application and more information is available here.
Student Health Unit Exam Emergency Hours
The Student Health Unit will have extended opening hours for exam emergencies effective from Monday 25th April 8.30am-5.30pm daily. Closed for Lunch 1-2pm.
Exam Success/De-Stress Programme Mon 18th April-Fri 29th April
- 11:00-11:30 Relaxation/De-Stress in The Space (upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn)
- 13:00-13:30 Mindfulness in The Space (upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn)
- 17:00-17:30 Relaxation/De-Stress in The Space (upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn)
FREE Physical Activity Programme for Exam Success
- 09:00-09:35 Virtual Spin in the Kingfisher Ground Floor Studio D
- 13:00-14:00 Mon & Thurs 5k Walk/Run meet outside Kingfisher
- 13:00-15:00 Corrib Village Cages available for a kick about
- 16:00-16:35 Virtual Body Balance in Kingfisher Upstairs Studio C
The Student Counselling Service will also have extra staff for drop in service 14:00-16:00 each day – no appointment necessary.
NUI Galway Alumni Association Writing Competition 2016 – Deadline 5pm TOMORROW
- Essay Title: University College Galway and the 1916 Rising
- Closing Date: 5pm Friday 22nd April 2016
- Submission length and format: 600 words sent via Word Document to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entrants: Open to current NUI Galway students only. Please include your NUIG Student ID number.
- How to Enter: Via email only to email@example.com
- Prize: One prize of €1,000 and the winner will also appear in Cois Coribe magazine and Sin newspaper.
In conjunction with Sin Newspaper, NUI Galway Students’ Union, the Galway University Foundation and the NUI Galway College of Arts, Social Sciences & Celtic Studies.
Extra Study Space for Summer Exams 2016
Sunday 17th April – Wednesday 11th May 08:00-22:00
Tyndall, O’Flaherty, D’Arcy Thompson, Kirwan, Larmor & Dillon Theatres
ENG-G018 & ENG-G047
Please note all lockers must be cleared out by Friday 13th May 2016
Please remember to drop your locker keys back to the Students’ Union Office by 5pm on Friday the 13th May 2016. Any items left in your locker after that will be disposed of.
SU Card Reminder
Remember to cash in any points on your SU Card and spend any balances before you leave for summer. You can access your SU Card account through the SU Website: https://www.su.nuigalway.ie/su-card
Although your card will still work in September, points cannot be carried forward to next year. Cash balances will be unaffected. If you have any queries, please contact us.
Alive Certs Collection in SU
Alive Certificates are now available for collection from the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn.
NUIG Pre-Departure Training Day
NUI Galway’s FREE Pre-Departure Training Day is on 9am-5pm Wednesday 18th May in Áras Moyola. Includes speakers on safety, security, culture, global development, child protection, health and wellbeing. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Give Blood in Galway Next Week
5pm-8.30pm Tuesday 26th-Thursday 28th April in the Menlo Park Hotel, Terryland.
NUIG 5k Colour Dash
The Irish Cancer Society 5k Colour Dash is coming back to NUI Galway on Sunday 12th of June. Register online here.
Suffering from Chronic Pain and/or Fatigue?
A new online informal support group for Galway students who are living with chronic pain and/or fatigue to come together has been set up by NUI Galway students. Find out more https://www.facebook.com/groups/780644568729905/
Census 2016 this Sunday
Make sure you fill out your Census 2016 form this Sunday 24th April. Wherever you sleep overnight on Sunday is where you should be included on a census form, whether that’s in your family home, your apartment or even if you stay with a friend.
All details are 100% confidential and provides essential information about Ireland today to help us plan for the future. Your enumerator will call to collect your form next week. www.census.ie
Heading somewhere exotic this summer?
We sell the ISIC Card in the SU Office for €15 and it gives you student discounts in 124 countries! https://www.isiccard.ie/
Free Diabetes Information Evening
FREE Type 1 Diabetes Patient Education Evening, Monday 16th May 6pm in Croí Heart & Stroke Charity in conjunction with Diabetes Ireland and the diabetes team from University Hospital Galway. Please call 091-544310 to reserve your place!
Have an idea for a social or environmental action project?
The Ideas Collective is a part-time programme run by Suas for motivated individuals and groups with an idea for a social or environmental action project. Over the course of 100 days from June-August you will be supported in bringing your idea for change to life. We are looking for applicants who wish to learn about how change happens and who have the desire to create change. If you have ideas for projects, we want to support you to develop and implement these through The Ideas Collective in summer 2016.
For more information see https://www.stand.ie/ideas/
Fuelling Ambition Roadshow
Encouraging Female entrepreneurs to maximise their full potential – Wednesday 4th May in The G Hotel Galway. FREE Event REGISTER HERE:
Undergraduate Awards – Application Deadline 31st May
Submit your coursework now and get awarded for your efforts.
Darkness Into Light 2016 4.15am Saturday 7th May
Registration is now open https://dil.pieta.ie/ Raising funds for Pieta House
Complete this survey about Facebook for your chance to win an iPad mini 2!
This link below is to a survey about people’s use of Facebook, and their attitudes about products and brands. The survey takes approximately 15 minutes to complete, and your input would be invaluable.
If you have not already done so, and if you would like to participate, please click on the link and complete the survey to be in with a chance to win an iPad mini 2. If you wish to be included in the draw, please include your student ID number, and complete the questionnaire in full.
For more information about the survey, please contact Dr Elaine Wallace, Marketing Discipline, J. E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics, NUI Galway: email@example.com
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday-Friday 11am-3pm.
Táímid ag lorg daoine díograise dár bhfoireann!
Are you an enthusiastic, fun and customer service focused person? Are you professional and take pride in your work? Would you like to earn some money during the University year?
The College Bar & Smokey’s Café will undergo an exciting refurbishment over the summer with a new food concept ready for the beginning of next term. We are interviewing now, for both part-time and full time positions to join our team in August 2016.
To apply you need to have either:
Previous restaurant/retail work experience
Previous bar work experience
If you have either of these and you want to be part of a busy team fill out the online application form at this link https://sunuig.typeform.com/to/mnOtlw.
Closing date for applications is the 24th of April.
Do Chomhaltas, Do Sheirbhísí
Applications are now CLOSED for the vacant positions at the NUI Galway Students’ Union Cloakroom and Engineering Building Information Point for the 2014/15 academic term.
Please send your CV together with cover letter to Joanna Brophy, Assistant Manager, NUI Galway Students’ Union by email only to firstname.lastname@example.org before 1pm on Thursday 21st of August 2014.
Full job description is available here. Late applications will not be accepted.
The NUI Galway Students’ Union Cloakroom will be open 9am-6.30pm Monday – Friday during term time. The Engineering Desk will be open 11am-3pm Monday-Friday during term time. Please only apply if you will be free to work during these hours.
Please note: You must be available for training on Thursday 28th August and be prepared to start work on Tuesday 2nd of September 2014.