Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Vote Today 10am-5pm
Your final #NUIGSU19 Candidates are:
Postgraduate Research Officer
- Tock, Emily
International Students Officer
- Fenton, Avery
Ethnic Minorities Officer
- Chihumura, Victoria
- McNicholas, Katelyn
Voting takes place 10am-5pm TODAY on the Concourse beside Smokey’s Café – bring NUIG ID to vote. If you have registered for a Remote Vote log on to the SU Website 10am-5pm to vote.
Mon 1st April
- 9am-10am Learn How to Yoga Class in The View. Free Tickets on Eventbrite.
- 11am-12pm Learn How To Hula Hoop and more in The View (Fully Accessible Class). Free Tickets on Eventbrite.
- 1pm-2pm Learn How to Drum in The Large Acoustic Room. Free Tickets on Eventbrite.
Tues 2nd April
- 8.10am-8.50am Mindfulness for Beginners Class in AC201
- 12pm ALIVE Volunteering Awards Ceremony with tea and cake!
- 7pm NUIG 5k in aid of Jigsaw Galway
Weds 3rd April
- 11am-4pm La Roche Posay Promo with freebies in Áras na Mac Léinn
- 1pm-2pm Arts in Action “Staging the Archive” Free performance in O’Donoghue Centre
- 1.10pm-1.50pm Mindfulness Shared Practice in AC201
- 8pm-9.30pm Free Outdoor Cinema at the Engineering Building. Vote on the Facebook Event page for the movie we show!
Thurs 4th April
- 2pm-5pm Soothing Scales meet the animals in Áras na Mac Léinn with Animal Ambassadors
- 9pm-10.30pm King Kong Company Free Gig at Sult
Fri 5th/Sat 6th April
- Writing and Well-Being: The Academic Writing Centre Annual Conference
More information from firstname.lastname@example.org
Marchathon Ends TOMORROW!
We are in to the last week of the Marchathon Challenge which ends this Friday and our 48 NUI Galway teams have been making amazing progress! Keep up the great work and here’s this week’s competitions:
- Team Photo Competition: As usual we will be running our weekly Team Photo Competition during the last week of the Challenge! This week we want to see photos of your team ‘crossing the finish line’ as we near the end of the Challenge…most creative interpretation of the theme will win Smarter Travel Goodie Packs for the team. All photos must be submitted by 1pm on Friday 29th March at this link
- ‘Go the Distance’ Competition – Climb Kilimanjaro: During the final week we want you and your team to really go the distance to climb the Machame Route of Mount Kilimanjaro! Teams who achieve an average of 80,000 steps this week will not only have reached the top of Mount Kilimanjaro, but will also be in with the chance of winning Smarter Travel Goodie Packs and Me2You Gift Cards for the team!
Imagine NUI Galway Today
Join the conversation about the future of NUI Galway online today HERE.
This is your chance to have an input and make real changes to life at NUI Galway.
Library Study Break Policy Starts Monday
The Library study break policy is back from Monday 1st of April until Friday 10th of May. Pick up a study break form on your way in to the library. You can have a break of up to 60 minutes but don’t forget to fill out the form and leave it on your desk or another student can take your place.
Want to be in a Short Film?
FilmSoc are searching for a lady to play the mother of our protagonist in our next short film. Our protagonist is in their 20s so our mother ideally would be in the age bracket of 40s+. No experience necessary and the script is available on demand. We hope to shoot on the week of April 6th so if anyone is interested or knows someone who would be interested, please email: email@example.com
Focus Group Participants Required
We are running focus groups over the next few weeks to get student opinions on some short YouTube films that highlight issues around sexual consent. We want to find out what students think of the films, and ask for ideas for how to best promote them to other students. The focus groups last one hour. Depending on the time of the group we will provide snacks / lunch. Everyone who takes part will get a €20 voucher to acknowledge your contribution to our project. If you are interested in finding out more please click here
National Conference for Students Living With Disabilities: Registration Open
The Conference takes place 10am-5.30pm Weds 10th April in the Irish Human Rights & Equality Commission, 16-22 Green St. Rotunda, Dublin 7. Join us for this event if you are a USI affiliated student who identifies as living with a disability. Through a variety of workshops and speakers, the conference will discuss how to remove barriers and increase opportunities in the student and life experience of people living with disabilities. If anyone from NUI Galway is registering to go please contact Megan on firstname.lastname@example.org
La Roche-Posay Roadshow on Wednesday
The skin care experts at La Roche-Posay understand that stress, particularly for students, can have a negative impact on the skin. That’s why they’re coming to NUIG to give FREE skin consultations, samples and advice on how to manage all skin concerns. There will also be La Roche-Posay hamper worth over €100 to win on the day. They’ll be on campus 10am-4pm Wednesday 3rd April so keep an eye out, especially for the bicycles handing out FREE product samples.
Talk To Your Politicians Climate Workshop
Come and gain the skills you need to talk about climate change and make your voice heard. 12pm-2pm Thursday 11th of April in AC202. Register here – spaces are limited. More info from email@example.com
Every week during term there are FREE Mindfulness classes at NUI Galway. Feel free to drop in – all are welcome.
- 8.10am-8.50am Tuesdays Mindfulness for Beginners Class in AC201
- 1.10pm-1.50pm Wednesdays Mindfulness Shared Practice in AC201
Taxi Safety Tips
- Try not to travel alone; particularly at night
- Use the Transport Ireland’s Free Driver Check App
- When hailing a taxi on the street do the MPS check – does it have a meter, a registration plate and a registration sticker? Registered taxis must have all 3.
- Note the registration number on the roof. Make sure this matches the taxi door number and the number in the taxi itself. Note the driver’s name.
- Make a quick call to friends or family, stating the registration number and name of the taxi driver, ensuring the driver hears you
- Share your live location with Facebook Messenger or Google Maps
How to make a complaint:
If you wish to make a complaint about a taxi or hackney driver concerning a criminal offence you should contact your local Garda Station immediately and fill in an incident report. In an emergency situation, you should telephone 112 to be put through to the Gardaí.
The National Transport Authority operates a national complaints and enforcement system for taxis and hackneys.
Council Chair Election Results
Congratulations to Scott Green who was elected as your SU Council Chairperson for 2019/20 on Monday.
Explore Student Innovation Awards Open
Applications are open for the Explore Student Innovation Awards. €10,000 Prize fund available for innovative ideas. Deadline Tues 2nd April. Further details at http://www.nuigalway.ie/explore/
Darkness Into Light Early Bird Deadline Sunday
Sign up for the Darkness Into Light 5k walk/run here and help raise funds for Pieta House on Saturday 11th of May.
The deadline to register to vote or to change your address to make sure you can vote on 24th of May in the Local Elections and European Elections is Tuesday 7th of May. You can pick up the paperwork to register to vote or to change your address details in the Students’ Union Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm. We will have the Gardaí at our Voter Registration Drives at Smokey’s Café 12pm-2pm Weds 24th April to stamp your paperwork – just bring your passport or driving licence!
With Maths – SUMS
With Programming – Computer DISC
With Academic Skills – Academic Skills Hub
With Anything – SU Grinds Register
FREE STI Clinics
The free STI Clinic in the Student Health Unit in Áras na Mac Léinn is by appointment only phone 091 492 604 to book. Remember you can pick up FREE condoms from the SU Office or the SU Engineering Desk all year long.
- 15:00 Saturday 13th April Connacht vs Cardiff: NUIG-Car-1819
Buy your tickets on the Connacht Rugby website and use the codes above to get the reduced rate NUIG student price. Valid for 50 tickets per match. NUIG student ID required. Bohermore Terrace only.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.