Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Nomination forms are available from the SU Office and the SU Website now for the following positions:
- Oifigeach na Gaeilge
- Mature Students’ Officer
- Postgraduate Taught Officer
- Postgraduate Research Officer
- Societies Chairperson
- Clubs Captain
- Convenor of the College of Arts, Social Sciences & Celtic Studies
- Convenor of the College of Science
- Convenor of the College of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences
- Convenor of the College of Business, Public Policy & Law
- Convenor of the College of Engineering & Informatics
- International Students Officer
- Gender and LGBT+ Rights Officer
- Disability Rights Officer
- Ethnic Minorities Officer
Call up to the Students’ Union Office tomorrow Friday 1st March 10am-11am to register your team for the Marchathon Challenge which starts on Monday. We will have (limited) freebies including 10 goodie bags with memory sticks, pedometers and high vis stuff! Just let us know your team name.
How to take part:
- Get into a team of 3 – 6 people
- Sign up online at www.activetravellogger.ie
- Get a Step Counter — download an app (e.g. Free Smarter Travel Step Counter), buy a pedometer, use a Fit Bit, or other step tracking device
- From 4th March to 29th March get walking where possible, aiming to increase your steps throughout the challenge
- Have Fun and Get Competitive!
There’s another chance at 7pm tonight to meet your candidates who are running for election and hear what they have to say. Hustings for President, VP/Education and VP/Welfare & Equality hosted by Lit & Deb takes place in the Kirwan Theatre. Come along to listen, question and decide who to vote for on the 7th of March!
Sin Issue 10
Read the latest issue of Sin online HERE
SU Class Reps Council meeting 6pm Monday 4th of March in the O’Flaherty Theatre. This meeting includes hustings for Union of Students in Ireland (USI) Elections.
All Class Reps must attend.
#NUIGSU19 Vote on Thursday 7th of March 10am-8pm
Election Polling will take place in the following locations next Thursday to elect your new President, VP/Education Officer and VP/Welfare Officer – Bring NUIG ID!
- 10am-8pm on The Concourse
- 11am-8pm in Áras na Mac Léinn
- 12pm-5pm in the Engineering Building
Not on campus to vote in #NUISU19 on Thurs 7th March?
- Register for your Remote Vote by logging on to the SU Website before midnight Weds 6th March.
2. Log on to the website 10am-8pm Thurs 7th March and Vote!
7pm-8.30pm Tuesday 5th of March Exam Preparation Workshop in Library Lobby G010. Admission Free. Plan your study. Answer Strategies. Study Techniques. Pomodoro study method.
Table Quiz this Tuesday
The NUIG Women’s Rugby team are having a Table Quiz at Sult at 7pm on Tuesday 5th of March. There are lots of great prizes to win on the night and it’s only €5 per person with 4/5 people per table.
Mentor Recruitment is Open
Student Connect are beginning to recruit mentors for next year’s first year students. If anyone is interested they should apply online here: here. Applicants should be from any of the following colleges: Arts, Science, Medicine and Health Science, and Law. Mentoring is an extremely rewarding role. Questions can be directed to email@example.com
International Paintball Group will be on campus 11am-4pm next Thursday 7th of March in Áras na Mac Léinn with great deals on paintballing trips in Ireland and around the world!
Find Your Masters month at NUI Galway
If you’re thinking about postgrad study, then Find Your Masters month should be of interest to you. Events include a Power Brunch, lunchtime presentations, a Mini Open Evening, and more. Full schedule online: check calendar often, events will be added as they present. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
The NUI Galway 5k run in aid of Jigsaw Galway takes place at 7pm on Tuesday 2nd of April. This is a spectacular Run, Jog or Walk around the University Campus along the banks of the river Corrib. Early bird registration rate is €10 for students and €15 for staff/public and includes a free t-shirt! Register here.
CUSP Sustainability Summer Internships on offer at NUI Galway
The Community and University Sustainability Project Team (CUSP) is seeking to offer Sustainability Leadership Awards to up to 4 NUI Galway Students to advance the roll-out of the NUI Galway Sustainability Strategy 2017-2020. The Awards are being offered in 4 project theme areas namely Energy; Water; Nature & Ecosystems; and Communications & Engagement. The awards are open to NUI Galway Students and successful applicants will be awarded an 8 week scholarship (June-August 2018) funded by the NUI Galway Students’ Union through the Student Project Fund. Log onto our CUSP website to find out more information. Closing date for applications is Tuesday 19th March.
Lower Back Pain Study – Participants Needed
Undergraduate students are needed to complete a questionnaire on the prevalence and factors associated with low back pain among undergraduate students at NUI Galway. Complete the questionnaire HERE.
Table Quiz in aid of Maths & Education Final Year Symposium
There will be a fun Pub Quiz at 8pm on Thursday 7th of March at Sult. It’s just €20 per table, max of 4 people per team with lots of spot prizes up for grabs.
The Student Connect Mentoring team are having a Casino Night in DNA on Wednesday the 20th March. Early bird tickets are €15 and €20 thereafter. There will be a lot of amazing prizes given away on the night including an iPad bundle for someone who buys a ticket to the event.
USA J1 Info
Fancy spending your summer in America doing something you love, travelling and exploring everything the USA has to offer? USA Summer Camp will be in Áras na Mac Léinn next Thursday the 7th of March to tell you about your J1 options and opportunities! More Info.
- 14:45 Saturday 2nd March Connacht vs Ospreys: NUIG-Osp-1819
- 19:35 Friday 22nd March Connacht vs Benetton: NUIG-Ben-1819
- 15:00 Saturday 13th April Connacht vs Cardiff: NUIG-Car-1819
Buy your tickets on the Connacht Rugby website and use the codes above to get the reduced rate NUIG student price. Valid for 50 tickets per match. NUIG student ID required. Bohermore Terrace only.
Our annual Great Carnival Party is back again, this time at Electric Theatre and Garden on March the 3rd from 2pm with live bands, DJs, dance classes, capoeira performances, and loads of food in our food market. Free entry and family friendly event.
- 12pm-3.30pm Tues 5th & Weds 6th March Bailey Allen Hall, NUIG
- 5pm-8.30pm Tues 19th, Weds 20th & Thurs 21st March Clybaun Hotel
- 12pm-3.30pm Sun 24th March Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Tues 26th, Weds 27th and Thurs 28th March Menlo Park Hotel
International Women’s Day Fundraiser
To mark International Women’s Day there will be an Open Mic Fundraiser 9.30am-11.30am Friday 8th of March at the Kitchen Café in Galway City Museum in aid of Domestic Violence Response. Entry is €10 and includes coffee and cake. More details from email@example.com
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.