SU Weekly Email 9 – 23rd October 2019Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Road Safety Authority Interactive Shuttle + Roll-Over Simulator 10am-4pm Tues 29th Oct outside Áras na Mac Léinn
- Practice your driving and hazard perception skills on our simulators (car, motorbike, bicycle)
- Take part in the roll-over simulation which demonstrates how it would feel if you were in a car which turned over in a collision.
- Practice the driver theory test.
- Practice safe cycling skills on our state of the art bicycle simulator
- See how driving environments and speed affect your braking distances on the brake reaction timer.
- FREE High Vis Items
Tues 29th Oct
- 11am-2pm: Know Your Rights in Hub Central. Drop in and chat about rights in the workplace, college, and public life.
- 6.30pm: Disability and Emergency in the D’arcy Thompson Theatre. Join Emergency Medicine Soc for a talk on best practice in emergency situations
Weds 30th Oct
- All day: The Social Aspect of Disability – an online campaign around the impact inaccessibility has on social life and social connections
Thurs 31st Oct
- All day: What Is an Accessible Campus? Online/in various locations. Keep up with us on the SU social media platforms to tell us and the University what an accessible campus is to you
- 6pm-8pm Murder Mystery with ISL, location TBC. Join the Irish Sign Language Society for their Halloween event with games and refreshments.
More info from email@example.com
Sin Issue 4
You can read the latest issue of Sin Newspaper HERE – it includes your chance to win SU Card credit!
Limited spaces left on following Life Skills courses:
Sign up in the SU Office or call 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card.
Free Talk on Resistance Training and Nutrition 7pm-8pm Weds 6th Nov in O’Flaherty Theatre. Speaker: Barry McGuire – Qualified Nutritionist & Personal Trainer. Covering nutrition and training in relation to muscle gain/fat loss/toning up. FREE Tickets available on Eventbrite
What We Are Doing For You?
You can catch up on the work your SU Officers are doing for you by reading through the minutes of their meetings here.
Are you registered to vote? Call down and pick up a form in the SU Office. The deadline to register to vote is this Friday the 25th of October
We have free condoms and free tampons/pads at the SU Office and the SU Engineering Desk. If you need them just ask.
The deadline to pay the Student Levy + the first instalment of your fees is Thurs 31st Oct. More Info.
JCI Galway are running a Spooky Table Quiz at 7pm this Friday in Sult with some great prizes. Entry fee €5 per person.
The NUI Galway Postgraduate Open Day will take place 12pm-3pm Tues 5th Nov in the Bailey Allen Hall. There will be over 100 stands on display along with short presentations covering topics such as funding opportunities, applications, and research. This is your chance to meet lecturers and postgraduate students, see what postgraduate programmes are on offer, and to meet staff from Postgraduate Admissions, Career Development Centre, Graduate Studies, Fees Office, and other student support services.
Stress Control’ is a six session class which teaches people to ‘become their own therapist’. Each session lasts for 90 minutes (including a break). Stress Control combines Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Positive Psychology and Mindfulness.
USI Mature Students’ Seminar
The annual USI Mature Students’ Seminar will be taking place at Maynooth University 9.30am-5pm Friday the 8th of November. This event is open to all Mature Students. More info and registration here.
Take the Irish National Digital Experience (INDEx) Survey win €300!
You are invited to take part in NUI Galway’s INDEx survey – a national survey to find out more about how you use digital technologies and how this affects your experience of learning. Your voice will contribute to important decision-making around digital teaching and learning within NUI Galway. The INDEx survey takes only 5 minutes to complete. It is open to NUI Galway students until the 3rd of November. Participation is anonymous and entirely voluntary. There are €300 All4One vouchers to be won each week by NUI Galway students!
Take the survey HERE
Upcoming Class Rep Meetings
|Thurs 24th Oct||6pm-7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Science Council|
|Tues 29th Oct||6pm-7pm||ENG2003 Lecture Room 2||Engineering Building||Engineering Council|
|Weds 30th Oct||2pm–3pm||Students’ Union Exec Office||Áras na Mac Léinn||Postgrad Council|
NUI Galway Arrangements for Bank Holiday Mon 28th Oct
- There are no classes on Mon 28th of Oct
- The Students’ Union Office will CLOSE 5pm Fri 25th Oct and reopen 10am Tues 29th of Oct
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will CLOSE 3pm Fri 25th Oct and reopen 11am Tues 29th Oct
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will CLOSE 6pm Fri 25th Oct and reopen 9am Thurs 31st Oct
- The James Hardiman Library will be open 08:30-17:30 Sat 26th, 10:00-17:30 Sun 27th and CLOSED Mon 28th Oct
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Students’ Union Shop will be open Sat 26th Oct, closed Sun 27th & Mon 28th Oct, open Tues 29th Oct
- Sult will be CLOSED Sat 26th, Sun 27th & Mon 28th Oct. Reopening 8.30am Tues 29th Oct.
- Smokey’s Café will be open Sat 26th and Sun 27th, closed Mon 28th and open Tues 29th Oct.
- The Wall Café will be open Sat 26th and Sun 27th and open Mon 28th 11am-3pm
- The Student Health Unit will be CLOSED Mon 28th Oct.
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Mon-Fri 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Mon–Fri 11am-3pm.