SU Weekly Email 8 – 18th October 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Mon 22nd Oct
- 6.30pm-8.30pm Screening of “Through our Eyes” with Fáilte Refugees Society in Kirwan Theatre
- 7.30pm-9.30pm “A Stevening” in the O’Flaherty Theatre. Two of Galway’s favourite bearded wonders: Steve Bennett + Steven Sharpe, doing a funny, musical, weird-ass show like only they can!
Tues 23rd Oct
- 6pm-8pm Poetry Slam/Flash Fiction with Writers Soc in the Dillon Theatre
- 7pm-8pm Global Women’s Empowerment Talk with Marie-Anne Michel from Trócaire and FemSoc in AC201
Weds 24th Oct
- 10.15am-1.30pm SU Anti-Racism Course with Galway One World Centre in The View. Limited Spaces. €5 Register in the SU in advance.
- 12pm-4pm Cultural Trade Fair in The Cube
- 6pm-7pm Panel Discussion on Direct Provision in Ireland in AC204
Thurs 25th Oct
- 7pm-9pm Screening of “Free CeCe” with GigSoc in the Áras Uí Chathail Lecture Theatre
ALL WEEK: STAND 8×8 Festival Outdoor Photo Exhibition outside the Library.
More information from email@example.com
Want to know more about your rights as an employee?
Call to SIPTU’s Workers Rights stand 10am-3pm Tuesday 23rd October at Smokey’s Café. As a member of the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) you can avail of free legal advice from SIPTU.
This workshop will take participants through a lively, engaged process looking at how racism functions, where it came from and what we can do to build a more equal society, locally and globally. Previous participants have described the workshop as “thought provoking” “a total eye-opener” and “inspiring”. Register in the SU Office now for just €5. Spaces are limited.
Win a Month’s Free Rent!
Sult are having a Halloween Fancy Dress Competition at 8pm on Thursday 25th of October and you could win a month’s free rent! More details from their page here.
Road Safety Authority Interactive Shuttle + Roll-Over Simulator
- Practice your driving and hazard perception skills on our simulators (car, motorbike, bicycle)
- Take part in the roll-over simulation which demonstrates how it would feel if you were in a car which turned over in a collision.
- Practice the driver theory test.
- Practice safe cycling skills on our state of the art bicycle simulator
- See how driving environments and speed affect your braking distances on the brake reaction timer.
- Free High Vis Items
Connacht Rugby vs Dragons Tickets
Use the Code “NUIG-Dra-1819” to get discounted tickets online for the Connacht Rugby vs Dragons match 5.15pm Saturday 3rd of November. Limited to first 50 NUIG Students.
Please note we won’t be getting discount codes for Leinster, Munster or Ulster matches.
Mental Health Mondays
1pm-3pm Each Monday at Smokey’s Café we will have freebies and advice on Mental Health Issues. You can also check online here for help and support.
Don’t forget to fill out your registration form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org or just call in to the SU Office to register.
Volunteers urgently needed for NUIG 8×8 Festival events next week on campus as part of Global Week. If you’re interested please contact email@example.com
If a friend told you they’d been sexually assaulted would you know what to do?
Our Disclosure Training course with Galway Rape Crisis Centre gives you the skills and knowledge to deal appropriately with a disclosure of sexual violence. Sign up in the SU Office or phone 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card.
FREE Mindfulness Classes
- 8:10am-8:50pm Tuesdays in AC201 on the Concourse: Mindfulness for Beginners Class
- 1:10pm-1.50pm Wednesdays in AC202 on the Concourse: Mindfulness Shared Practice
All are welcome see: www.nuigalway.ie/mindfulway for more information.
Need Study Space?
There are 5 Group Study Rooms available and 1 Mini-Studio (video recording) to book during Library opening hours Book Here.
5.30pm-7pm Tues 23rd Oct ‘Troubled by Procrastination?’ workshop in Library Lobby Room G011.
- Develop tools and skills to resist the influence of procrastination
- A playful way to deal with a difficult problem
7pm-8.30pm Weds 24th Oct Assignment Preparation workshop in Library Lobby Room G011.
- Top most important assignment tips
- Take the fear out of getting started and completing tasks
Dates For Your Diary
- Weds 31st Oct Deadline for Semester 1 Fees
- Thurs 15th Nov Semester 1 Exam Timetable Released
- Sat 1st Dec Teaching Ends
- Mon 3rd – Sat 8th Dec Study Week
- Mon 10th – Fri 21st Dec Exams
- First Aid Responder 3 Day Course – 2 spaces left
- Disclosure Training – 8 spaces left
- Cardiac First Responder Course – 10 spaces left
- Anti-Racism Training Course – 12 spaces left
- Child Protection Training Course – 15 spaces left
Does Your Research Make An Impact?
Would You Like to Win €2,500 by Proving it Does? The HEA/Irish Independent ‘Making an Impact’ competition for 2018 is now open for entries. Closing Date is 10am on Wednesday 7 November.
Don’t forget to get your FREE Irish Times online subscription – it’s available to all full time third level students!
Contract cheating, sometimes known as ghost-writing, is the practice of engaging someone else to complete your assignment for you. As part of the Students Against Contract Cheating Campaign Turnitin are running a competition with a £1,000 prize that’s open to students in Ireland and the UK. Tell your story, make a statement, and explore new and creative ways to make other students aware of contract cheating, why it’s not acceptable, and highlight the risks involved. You can do this in any creative format you choose. Deadline Friday 2nd November.
Applications are Open for Google Scholarships:
- Scholarship for Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD students studying Computer Science or a closely related technical field and we strongly encourage people who identify as female to apply
- Recipients will be invited to attend an all-expense paid retreat at a Google office in 2019 and will also gain access to a global community of scholars
- Deadline to apply: 6th December 2018
- Scholarship for Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD students with a disability studying Computer Science or a closely related technical field
- Deadline to apply: 6th December 2018
The SU 2018/19 Nominated Charities are Galway Rape Crisis Centre and Cope Galway. If you want to volunteer to help out with our fundraising events or have an idea for an event please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Galway Rape Crisis Centre is dedicated to providing a professional, caring and confidential counselling and support service for those in our community affected by sexual abuse and sexual violence.
Cope Galway’s vision is for an improved quality of life in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women and children experiencing domestic abuse, and older people.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.