SU Weekly Email 7 – 11th October 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
- 10am-11am Homesickness and How To Combat It Talk in the Art Room, Áras na Mac Léinn
- 11am-1pm Gig Soc Coming Out Day Coffee Morning in the Art Room, Áras na Mac Léinn
- 7pm Writer’s Soc Night inspired by how to handle a panic attack in AC215
- 8pm NUIG Comedy Soc Gig in the Bank of Ireland Theatre. FREE event includes Free Pizza & Refreshments
- More information from email@example.com
There is an orange weather warning in place for 13 counties, including Galway, Donegal and Clare, from 22:00 Tonight Thurs 11th Oct to 12:00 Fri 12th Oct. As such, all University services are running as normal and we expect them to continue to do so. Any updates will be posted HERE.
The SU 2018/19 Nominated Charities are Galway Rape Crisis Centre and Cope Galway. If you want to volunteer to help out with our fundraising events or have an idea for an event please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Galway Rape Crisis Centre is dedicated to providing a professional, caring and confidential counselling and support service for those in our community affected by sexual abuse and sexual violence.
Cope Galway’s vision is for an improved quality of life in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women and children experiencing domestic abuse, and older people.
- First Aid Responder 3 Day Course – 2 spaces left
- Disclosure Training – 8 spaces left
- Cardiac First Responder Course – 10 spaces left
- Anti-Racism Training Course – 12 spaces left
- Child Protection Training Course – 15 spaces left
Sin Issue 3
Read issue 3 of Sin online HERE!
Learn how to communicate your research clearly and concisely, using just three slides in under 3 minutes. There is training along the way and a competition with €1,500 in prizes for the winners! Threesis is open to NUI Galway postgraduate research students and postdoctoral researchers. Register by 19th October to avail of training (on 23rd and 24th October).
As the days are getting shorter here’s some tips for staying safe on and off campus:
- Save the number for the NUIG Security Office in your phone it’s 091 493 333. If you ever feel unsafe on campus give them a shout – they are here to help.
- Panic Alarms are on sale in the SU Shop for €3.50 – get one and carry it. The Shop also sells bike lights for €2.
- Avoid walking home alone but if this is unavoidable let a friend or housemate know what time you expect to be home and the route you are taking.
- Avoid isolated and darkened areas – take the busy routes.
- Walk facing traffic and get a free high-vis vest from the SU Office while stocks last.
- Trust your instincts.
Taking part in the NUI Galway Commuter Challenge?
Don’t forget to enter the week 2 competitions by 12pm midday TOMORROW Friday 12th October
- Share your ‘Overheard on public transport’ stories – post on Smarter Travel Campus or email email@example.com Leap card credit to be won
- Submit your Team Photo. This week’s theme is “We can do this!” Win €10 shopping vouchers & goodie packs for your team. Enter Here.
7pm Tuesday 16th October, Library Lobby 1st floor, Bridge room (1001)
- Connect with your values
- Develop Life-time goals
- Stay motivated
Volunteer for Akumakon 2019
Akumakon is an Anime and Manga convention taking place from the 18th – 20th of January in NUI Galway; it is run for charity and raises money through many events. We wouldn’t be able to run the event without volunteers, we invite anyone and everyone to volunteer for the coming convention! Volunteers get free access to the convention and will have free time to check out the convention as a whole. To apply, fill in this form.
NUIG Final Year Business Information System students need your help!
Please complete a quick online survey based on the payment method you currently use at the gym No personal data is used – all results are confidential
Do You Have What It Takes to be a European Correspondent?
Free Workshop for the European Commission Student Media Awards (SMEDIAS) 10.30am-2.30pm Wednesday 31st October 2018 in Europe House, Dublin 2. Application Deadline: Friday 26th October. Apply online HERE.
Career Development Centre Free Events next week include
- Analog Devices Workshop– Using LinkedIn and other Social Media in Job Searches.
- Job Market for Management, Marketing, HR, Retail and opportunities using Languages
- Careers with Arts and Languages Fair
- Aldi Workshop – Job Hunting/Interview Skills
- GLG Workshop – Branding yourself/Building your Brand
- Teaching Applications and Courses
- Employability Workshop
For more information and to register visit www.nuigalway.ie/careers
NUIG PhD Thesis Boot Camp – Applications Now Open
- Are you a PhD student struggling with the writing-up battle?
- Do you put off writing tasks until ‘tomorrow’?
- Are you finding it tough ‘going it alone’?
We have just what you need – Thesis Boot Camp! Dedicated solely to getting words down on paper (or a computer screen), this program is designed to help doctoral students get over that final hurdle, or to kick-start their writing progress if it has stalled. The ultimate aim of Thesis Boot Camp is to write 20,000 words of first draft material. The Boot Camp runs from 4pm Friday 16th November to 8.30pm Sunday 18th November. Applications must be received by 5pm Monday 15 October 2018. Sign Up Here.
NUIG Student Connacht Rugby Tickets
Use the discount code “NUIG-Bor-1819” to get reduced rate tickets online for Connacht Rugby vs Bordeaux Begles EU Challenge Cup match 3pm Saturday 13th of October.
Please note we won’t be getting discount codes for Leinster, Munster or Ulster matches.
October Class Reps Meetings
|Mon 15th Oct||6pm-8pm||Kirwan Theatre||Concourse||SU Council|
|Tues 23rd Oct||6pm-7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Arts Council|
|Thurs 18th Oct||6pm-7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Law/Commerce Council|
|Tues 23rd Oct||6pm – 7pm||MY127 Lecture Theatre 3||Áras Moyola||Health Sciences Council|
|Thurs 25th Oct||6pm-7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Science Council|
|Tues 30th Oct||6pm-7pm||ENG2003 Lecture Room 2||Engineering Building||Engineering Council|
|Weds 31st Oct||2pm–3pm||Students’ Union Exec Office||Áras na Mac Léinn||Postgrad Council|
Every class is entitled to a Class Representative to represent their class. If you have any questions on the roles and responsibilities of a Class Rep contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Creating Inclusion Event
The launch of Social Inclusion Week in Galway is happening 11am-1pm this Monday 15th October in Tribeton on Merchants Road. This showcase event is open to all and will feature a range of creative projects that demonstrate best practice in disability inclusion.
The Socs Box are selling cheap tickets for the Vodafone Comedy Carnival 23rd-29th October – just bring your NUIG ID. If you want to see some of the acts for FREE the festival is looking for volunteers so email email@example.com to get involved.
100minds is Ireland’s most unique and exciting student fundraiser that brings together third-level students with young professional mentors to achieve something really special for Temple Street Children’s University Hospital. Each of the 100 students is challenged to exercise their entrepreneurial muscles and come up with a unique fundraising project, activity or event and raise €1,000 – or more! The 100minds programme aims to create a positive impact in Temple Street while giving students the opportunity to develop vital career skills through real, practical work experience and project management. Apply today at www.100minds.org applications close on the 19th of October. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.