SU Weekly Email 32 – 27th April 2017Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
WIN A €200 CASH PRIZE!
All you have to do is complete our survey’s in the links below. Remember you must complete both surveys to be in with a chance to win the cask prize, best of luck!
Connacht Tickets LAST HOME GAME THIS YEAR
We now have €15 NUIG student tickets on sale for the final Connacht Rugby home match this season against Scarlets at 19:35 on Saturday the 29th of April. On sale in the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm.
SU 8 Week Yoga Course €40
We are now taking sign-ups for our 8 week Ashtanga yoga course during the summer. You can register in the SU Office or phone 091 524810 to pay by credit card. The course cost is €40.
- Beginners/Improvers 6pm-7.30pm Thurs 11th May-Thurs 6th July 2017 (no class Thurs 18th May)
- Intermediate 7.30pm-9pm Thurs 11th May-Thurs 6th July 2017 (no class Thurs 18th May)
Applications are invited for funding from the NUI Galway Student Project Fund for projects beginning in September 2017
In order to be considered for funding the project must support the strategic priorities identified in the Student Project Fund Strategic Priority document and must fall into any one, or a combination, of the following categories:
- Web-based development
Proposals may be made by individual people/groups/groups in collaboration. Projects involving collaborations/partnerships are encouraged.
A project must cost a minimum of €5,000 to be eligible for consideration. The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm Thursday 11th May, 2017. Application form and more information.
The Dog-Tor will See You!
We are now taking bookings for 15 minutes slot appointments with Max the SU Puppy (although he’s looking a bit bigger than puppy size now!) 10am-12pm Wednesday 10th May.
NUI Galway students can get free Porridge in Sult and Smokey’s Café 9am-10am/while stocks last each morning.
NUI Galway Students’ Union supports the Public Health (Alcohol) Bill as a means of tackling our society’s harmful relationship with alcohol.
Did you know?
- According to the Health Research Board, at least 75% of alcohol consumed in Ireland is as part of a binge.
- 88 people die every month as a direct result of alcohol in Ireland.
- In Ireland alcohol is a factor in 50% of completed suicides.
- Alcohol harm costs the Irish Taxpayer an estimated €3.7 billion in health, crime and public order.
- 78% of Irish people believe that the Irish Government has a responsibility to implement measures to protect the public from high levels of alcohol consumption.
We ask you show your support by Liking and Sharing the ‘Hands off our Health’ Facebook page:
On Thursday the 4th of May four cases of gender discrimination in NUI Galway will come before the High Court in Dublin. A demonstration will take place in support of the four women. The Students’ Union is organising a bus for students who wish to attend. Bus departs Galway at 9am on Thursday 4th May and will be back in Galway at approximately 4pm.
Tickets are €2, and are available from the Students’ Union Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm. NUI Galway Student ID Required.
Return your locker keys!
Just a quick reminder that your locker must be cleared out before 5pm on Tuesday 16th May 2017. We have over 3,200 lockers so we can’t “mind” your property until you get back from your holidays. Everything will be dumped, recycled or donated to charity. All keys must be dropped up to the Students’ Union Office in Áras na Mac Léinn.
Lockers will be available to purchase on our website from 10am on Monday 28th August 2017 for the 2017/18 term.
Student Health Unit during Exams
During the exams the Student Health Unit will be open for exam emergencies daily 8.30am-5.30pm (Closed for lunch 1pm-2pm) Monday-Friday.
Regular hours for non-emergencies are from 9.15am-12.30pm and 2.30pm-4.30pm Monday-Friday.
Closed Monday 1st May for Bank Holiday.
Grant Applications Open
SUSI is NOW OPEN for applications for the 2017-18 academic year for new and renewal students. Apply online here.
PC Suites Unavailable during Exams
The following PC Suites will be unavailable from 17:00 on Friday, April 21st until 17:30 on Wednesday, May 10th as they are being used for exams:
– Arts Millennium
SU Card Reminder
Remember to cash in any points on your SU Card and spend any balances before you leave for summer. You can access your SU Card account through the SU Website: https://www.su.nuigalway.ie/su-card
Although your card will still work in September, points cannot be carried forward to next year. Cash balances will be unaffected. If you have any queries, please contact us.
Exam Results and Repeats
Exam Results will be released online between Tuesday 15th and Friday 23rd of June. Autumn exams are scheduled to take place from Tuesday 8th and Friday 18th of August.
The Online Marketing in Galway Digital Marketing Awards are open to students this year for the first time ever!
As it is the first year, there are no strict rules but the application deadline is this FRIDAY 28th of April!
If you did a presentation related to Digital Marketing, Media, e-commerce, or Web Development you can upload that in PDF format or Word format. We are conscious that some might be very long, for that reason there is an open ended question on the application that asks students to enter up to 200 words to describe the project, top level statistics, objectives and findings. The application should be painless, and the awards night is always a night for all to enjoy! Apply here – https://www.galwaymarketing.ie/awards/
SU Second-hand Bookstore Clear-out
Just a quick reminder that you must collect any book belonging to you which are still in the SU Second-hand Bookstore before 5pm Friday 12th May. We cannot keep the books for you over the summer and any books which have not been collected by this date will be given away for free. We will be accepting books again at the end of August.
#MondayMassage changed to Wednesday next week due to Bank Holiday
#MondayMassage offers treatments at an affordable rate to NUI Galway staff and students. Choose from acupuncture, massage, physical therapy and shiatsu. Book yourself in for a treatment, your body will thank you for it! Student rate 30 min €20, 1 hour €30/Staff rate 30 min €30, 1 hour €50
Every Monday in “The Space” while the wellness room is being renovated. Keep an eye out for some extra dates during exam time #ExamDeStress Call or txt Mick on 086 837 8589 to book.
OMiG Awards – 50 Student Tickets available – FIRST COME FIRST SERVED
Students can fill out this VERY short form!! A discount code will be sent to the students for 60% off (first come, first served).
Do You Want to Change the World?
The 8×8 Festival is coming to campuses around Ireland again this autumn and is looking for coordinators. Learn how to design, develop and deliver a film and photography festival on your campus. The 8×8 Festival is a great way for you to meet new people, gain new skills and find out more about important global issues.
- Deadline for applications is May 1st (midnight) and successful candidates will be notified by mid-May.
- A training weekend for all coordinators takes place in May, followed by three monthly meet-ups in June, July and August.
- The 8×8 Festival will be launched at end of September/start of October, spending a week at each campus.
Galway Lifeboat Station needs Volunteers
Galway Lifeboat Station are looking for volunteers to sell their Yellow Welly pins. If you have an hour or two to spare over the next 2 weekends they would love your help!
Please contact Anthony_hiney@rnli.org.uk
- Friday 28 April Orantown Centre
- Saturday 29 April Galway Shopping Centre
- Friday 5 May Eyre Square Centre
- Saturday 6 May Eyre Square Centre
- Saturday 6 May Tesco Oranmore
- Monday 7th May Aldi Stores in Knocknacarra, Westside, Headford Road & Oranmore.
The Year Ahead
The Academic Calendar for 2017/18 is available here https://www.nuigalway.ie/academic_dates/academic_term_dates.html
Darkness Into Light Registration
Don’t forget there are two ways you can register:
1) online at: https://dil.pieta.ie/event-information/venues/galway-city
2) At the Galway pop-up shop, where you can register and collect your t-shirt 12pm-6pm this Friday 28th and Saturday 29th April upstairs in the Eyre Square Shopping Centre.
€500 Blockchain Essay Competition
Compose an essay on the social, civil or governmental implications of Blockchain in Ireland to be in with a chance to win €500, get published on all BAI social channels, and make a striking addition to your CV!
Competition is at https://blockchainireland.org/socialcomp/
Youth Leaders Network – Ireland and Northern Ireland. Future of Work Conference, Malaga, 14-17 September 2017
Application deadline: 12 noon on Monday, 8th May
NUI Galway May Bank Holiday Arrangements
- The SU Office will be closed Mon 1st May and will reopen 10am Tues 2nd May.
- The SU Engineering Desk will be closed Mon 1st May and will reopen 11am Tues 2nd May.
- The Library will be open 8.30am-5.30pm Sat 29th April, 10am-5.30pm Sun 30th April & 8.30am-10pm Mon 1st May (no Desk Service).
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will be closed Mon 1st May.
- SUMS, Computer DISC and The Academic Writing Centre are now closed until September.
- Sult will be closed Mon 1st May and will reopen at 8.30am Tues 2nd May.
- The SU Shop will be open 10am-4pm Sat 29th April, 10am-4pm Sun 30th April & 10am-5pm Mon 1st May.
- Smokey’s Café will be open 9am-5pm Sat 29th April, 10am-5pm Sun 30th April & 10am-5pm Mon 1st May.
- The Wall Café will be open 9am-3pm Sat 29th April, 11am-3pm Sun 30th April & 11am-3pm Mon 1st May.
- Caife na Gaeilge will be closed on Mon 1st May and will reopen on Tues 2nd May.
Our office is upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Thursday 11am-3pm and Friday 11am-2pm.