SU Weekly Email 31 21st of April 2016Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Here’s our top 10 tips for the exams next week
1. Check, double check and triple check your timetable NOW! Every year we have students who read their timetable wrong and end up missing an exam – don’t be that guy!
2. Find your College ID and bring it with you to every exam. If you have lost it call to NUIG – Student Information Desk to get a new one for €20. You will be fined €30 if you don’t have your ID with you.
3. Plan how you are getting to the exams NOW and set all your alarms. And your housemates alarms. You need to be there 20 minutes prior to the start of the examination so that’s: 09:10 for a 09:30 exam, 12:40 for a 13:00 exam and 16:10 for a 16:30 exam.
4. Leave your phone at home – it’s a €20 fine for bringing your phone to the exam AND other penalties can include mark reduction and getting zero marks for the module.
5. WASH! If you even have your shopping list written on your hand scrub it off. If you have any writing on your body, no matter how unrelated to the exam, you’ll fail the exam and have to repeat.
6. Follow the directions of the Exam Invigilators at all times.
7. If you need advice on deferring your exams please contact the SU Education Officer, Rebecca Melvin or your College Office.
8. You can’t bring in pencil cases, glasses cases or calculator covers to the exam.
9. You can’t leave the Exam Venue for the first hour or the last 30 mins of the exam
10. Relax – you got this!
Vote for us AGAIN! (Pretty Please!)
We are now through to the FINAL of the People’s Choice Award for the Online Marketing in Galway Awards thanks to your votes! So we need you to please vote for us one more time as we are up against some stiff competition and voting has now reopened. It’s one vote per IP address again with no messy registration. Voting deadline 5pm Friday 29th April.
We also made it to the Semi-Final for the Social Media award category. Fingers crossed we scoop something on the night and make ye proud!
We Are Hiring!
We are looking for enthusiastic people to join our team in the College Bar & Smokey’s Café. Applications close Sunday 24th April. Online application and more information is available here.
Student Health Unit Exam Emergency Hours
The Student Health Unit will have extended opening hours for exam emergencies effective from Monday 25th April 8.30am-5.30pm daily. Closed for Lunch 1-2pm.
Exam Success/De-Stress Programme Mon 18th April-Fri 29th April
- 11:00-11:30 Relaxation/De-Stress in The Space (upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn)
- 13:00-13:30 Mindfulness in The Space (upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn)
- 17:00-17:30 Relaxation/De-Stress in The Space (upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn)
FREE Physical Activity Programme for Exam Success
- 09:00-09:35 Virtual Spin in the Kingfisher Ground Floor Studio D
- 13:00-14:00 Mon & Thurs 5k Walk/Run meet outside Kingfisher
- 13:00-15:00 Corrib Village Cages available for a kick about
- 16:00-16:35 Virtual Body Balance in Kingfisher Upstairs Studio C
The Student Counselling Service will also have extra staff for drop in service 14:00-16:00 each day – no appointment necessary.
NUI Galway Alumni Association Writing Competition 2016 – Deadline 5pm TOMORROW
- Essay Title: University College Galway and the 1916 Rising
- Closing Date: 5pm Friday 22nd April 2016
- Submission length and format: 600 words sent via Word Document to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entrants: Open to current NUI Galway students only. Please include your NUIG Student ID number.
- How to Enter: Via email only to email@example.com
- Prize: One prize of €1,000 and the winner will also appear in Cois Coribe magazine and Sin newspaper.
In conjunction with Sin Newspaper, NUI Galway Students’ Union, the Galway University Foundation and the NUI Galway College of Arts, Social Sciences & Celtic Studies.
Extra Study Space for Summer Exams 2016
Sunday 17th April – Wednesday 11th May 08:00-22:00
Tyndall, O’Flaherty, D’Arcy Thompson, Kirwan, Larmor & Dillon Theatres
ENG-G018 & ENG-G047
Please note all lockers must be cleared out by Friday 13th May 2016
Please remember to drop your locker keys back to the Students’ Union Office by 5pm on Friday the 13th May 2016. Any items left in your locker after that will be disposed of.
SU Card Reminder
Remember to cash in any points on your SU Card and spend any balances before you leave for summer. You can access your SU Card account through the SU Website: https://www.su.nuigalway.ie/su-card
Although your card will still work in September, points cannot be carried forward to next year. Cash balances will be unaffected. If you have any queries, please contact us.
Alive Certs Collection in SU
Alive Certificates are now available for collection from the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn.
NUIG Pre-Departure Training Day
NUI Galway’s FREE Pre-Departure Training Day is on 9am-5pm Wednesday 18th May in Áras Moyola. Includes speakers on safety, security, culture, global development, child protection, health and wellbeing. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Give Blood in Galway Next Week
5pm-8.30pm Tuesday 26th-Thursday 28th April in the Menlo Park Hotel, Terryland.
NUIG 5k Colour Dash
The Irish Cancer Society 5k Colour Dash is coming back to NUI Galway on Sunday 12th of June. Register online here.
Suffering from Chronic Pain and/or Fatigue?
A new online informal support group for Galway students who are living with chronic pain and/or fatigue to come together has been set up by NUI Galway students. Find out more https://www.facebook.com/groups/780644568729905/
Census 2016 this Sunday
Make sure you fill out your Census 2016 form this Sunday 24th April. Wherever you sleep overnight on Sunday is where you should be included on a census form, whether that’s in your family home, your apartment or even if you stay with a friend.
All details are 100% confidential and provides essential information about Ireland today to help us plan for the future. Your enumerator will call to collect your form next week. www.census.ie
Heading somewhere exotic this summer?
We sell the ISIC Card in the SU Office for €15 and it gives you student discounts in 124 countries! https://www.isiccard.ie/
Free Diabetes Information Evening
FREE Type 1 Diabetes Patient Education Evening, Monday 16th May 6pm in Croí Heart & Stroke Charity in conjunction with Diabetes Ireland and the diabetes team from University Hospital Galway. Please call 091-544310 to reserve your place!
Have an idea for a social or environmental action project?
The Ideas Collective is a part-time programme run by Suas for motivated individuals and groups with an idea for a social or environmental action project. Over the course of 100 days from June-August you will be supported in bringing your idea for change to life. We are looking for applicants who wish to learn about how change happens and who have the desire to create change. If you have ideas for projects, we want to support you to develop and implement these through The Ideas Collective in summer 2016.
For more information see https://www.stand.ie/ideas/
Fuelling Ambition Roadshow
Encouraging Female entrepreneurs to maximise their full potential – Wednesday 4th May in The G Hotel Galway. FREE Event REGISTER HERE:
Undergraduate Awards – Application Deadline 31st May
Submit your coursework now and get awarded for your efforts.
Darkness Into Light 2016 4.15am Saturday 7th May
Registration is now open https://dil.pieta.ie/ Raising funds for Pieta House
Complete this survey about Facebook for your chance to win an iPad mini 2!
This link below is to a survey about people’s use of Facebook, and their attitudes about products and brands. The survey takes approximately 15 minutes to complete, and your input would be invaluable.
If you have not already done so, and if you would like to participate, please click on the link and complete the survey to be in with a chance to win an iPad mini 2. If you wish to be included in the draw, please include your student ID number, and complete the questionnaire in full.
For more information about the survey, please contact Dr Elaine Wallace, Marketing Discipline, J. E. Cairnes School of Business and Economics, NUI Galway: email@example.com
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday-Friday 11am-3pm.