SU Weekly Email 3 – 13th September 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Nominations will open to fill the vacant paid position of SU Vice President/Education Officer at 10am TODAY – nomination forms will be available from the SU Office and Website. Nominations will close at 5pm on Wednesday 19th of September 2018 at which point completed nomination forms must be returned to the box in the SU Office. The election will take place on Thursday 27th of September 2018. For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Nominations also open at 10am today for the voluntary position of SU Ethnic Minorities Officer.
The NUI Galway Students’ Union Freshers’ Fair is back with ALL THE FREEBIES! Call down to Áras na Mac Léinn 11am-4pm Tuesday 18th of September for giant inflatable games, food, freebies, tunes and competitions.
Win FREE Comedy Tickets!
Win a pair of tickets to see Kevin McGahern and Alison Spittle on Monday 24th of September. To enter just email email@example.com and tell us the name of your Students’ Union President. We will announce the winner in the SU Weekly Email next week.
Cloakroom Back Open Today
The FREE SU Cloakroom is back open today in the Library basement near the SU XL Shop. This free service is open 9am-6pm every Thursday and Friday during term so make sure you use it!
Sin Issue 1
You can read the first issue of Sin newspaper online HERE. The Sin newspaper editor Áine is still looking for volunteers so if you are interested in helping drop her a line to firstname.lastname@example.org or message her via the Sin Facebook page here. Follow Sin on Twitter – their new account is here!
Some Important Deadlines
- Mon 17th Sept: Online Registration closing for Undergraduates & Postgraduate Taught Students
- Mon 24th Sept: Module Registration Closing for Undergraduates & Postgraduate Taught Students
- Fri 28th Sept: Online Registration closing for Postgraduate Research Students
- Sun 30th Sept: Deadline to withdraw from your course without incurring fees
- Weds 31st Oct: Deadline to pay student levy in full + first instalment of student contribution charge
- Weds 31st Oct: Module Registration closing for Postgraduate Research Students
Apply online now for your shiny new Student Leap Card and upload your photo. You can then call to the Students’ Union office upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn between 10am and 5pm Monday to Friday with your code, your ID and €10 to collect your card. These are valid until the 31st of December 2019.
- Tuesday 12pm-1pm
- Tuesday 1pm-2pm COURSE FULL
- Wednesday 6pm-7pm COURSE FULL
- Thursday 6pm-7pm 1 Space Left
Sign up in the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm or phone 091 493 570 to register with credit card.
Get your free SU Card and earn points or free products every time you shop with us. Your SU Card can be used in any Students’ Unions outlet: Sult, Students’ Union Shop, Smokey’s Café, The Wall Café, Caifé na Gaeilge. Students’ Union outlets are open longer than other outlets, have the best prices and sell a huge range of products, so you will quickly start to earn benefits.
Also, when you spend money in SU outlets, that money stays on campus supporting student jobs and students’ union services. No other campus operator can say that!
Every class is entitled to a Class Representative to represent their class. If your class does not have a Class Rep your voice will not be heard. If you have any questions on the roles and responsibilities of a Class Rep contact the SU on email@example.com . Further information regarding the role of Class Reps is also available in the SU Council section of our website here.
Call to the SU Office to get yourself registered to vote in the upcoming Irish Presidential Election.
ComputerDISC is a FREE Computer Programming Drop-In Support Centre for all NUI Galway students who are taking any programming/software development courses. The DISC is a free service that supports all students with their self-directed learning in computing topics at all years and levels in NUI Galway.
- FREE 7 Week Mindfulness Based Living Course
- Starts Tues 25th Sept 4.30pm-6.30pm or 6pm-7.30pm MY127 Áras Moyola
- Learn skills to address anxiety and stress
- Have better focus and concentration for study
- Promotes a better relationship with yourself and others
- FREE Managing Your Time and Workload Course
- 7pm-8.30pm Weds 26th Sept Library Lobby, 1st Floor, Bridge Room 1001.
- Gain control and balance of your time and life
- Practical tools to work smarter – not harder
- Have more time for the people and things you enjoy
Commuter Challenge 2018: Get moving, get active & win – Sign up now activetravellogger.ie
- From Monday 1st October to Sunday 11th November we are challenging staff and students to ‘Reboot Their Commute’. Choose from walking, running, cycling, public transport or carpooling, or mix it up throughout the challenge.
- Get Active & Win – Additional prizes each week for clocking up steps or KMs cycled.
- Refer a friend and be in with a chance of winning a €50 shopping voucher & goodie pack. Enter Here.
The NUI Galway Employability Award is a recognition of learning and skills developed through work experience and extra-curricular activities. It is designed to support you by engaging in employability enhancement activities beyond your degree. There will be Information Sessions on the Employability Award 5pm-6pm on Weds 19th Sept, Weds 26th Sept & Weds 3rd Oct in Áras Na Mac Léinn Meeting Rooms 1 & 2. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fair of Voluntary community organizations who are looking for new volunteers. Come, chat with organizations´ representatives and choose your favourite volunteering role for the new year!
NUI Galway are hosting a sustainability showcase event in the O’Donoghue Theatre on Wednesday September 26th called Our Sustainability Journey. The event will share sustainability related research taking place on the NUI Galway campus in a relevant and accessible way and demonstrate the relevance of sustainability in everyday living. This is a free event but booking is essential so please book your ticket here
The NUI Galway Library offers an exciting programme of Information and Digital Skills workshops throughout the semester. Their workshops have already begun so get registered!
- 3pm-4pm TODAY Thurs 13th Sept PowerPoint Workshop Register Here.
- 9.30am TOMORROW Fri 14th Sept Smart Searching for your Master’s Work Workshop Register Here.
Coming Next Week:
- Critical Thinking & Information Workshop
- Avoiding Plagiarism Workshop
- Citation & Referencing Workshop
Spaces are filling up fast for our Life Skills Courses for this year. You can sign up in the SU Office or phone 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card for:
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills (ASIST)
- Sign Language
- Mixed Martial Arts for Self Defence
- Cardiac First Responder Course
- Child Protection Training
- Anti-Racism Training
- Disclosure Training
- First Aid Responder Course
Books – Buy & Sell
Remember we sell second-hand books to save you a bit of cash and we can also sell them on your behalf to make you some cash! Have a look at our second-hand bookshop for more information on buying or selling here.
NUIG Free STI Clinic
The free STI Clinic in the Student Health Unit in Áras na Mac Léinn is by appointment only phone 091 492 604 to book. Remember you can pick up FREE condoms from the SU Office or the SU Engineering Desk all year long.
Connacht Rugby Tickets Discount Code
There are 50 reduced rate NUIG Student tickets available online using the following code for the Connacht vs Scarlets match NUIG-Scarlets-1819
Please note that all purchasers will have to show valid student ID on the night to gain entry to the match at the Sportsground on College Road, failure to do this will result in payment of the difference.
Applications open at 10am on Thursday 13th of September for the new SU Officer position of Ethnic Minorities Officer. Application forms will be available from the SU Office and SU Website and must be returned before 5pm on Wednesday 19th of September to the box in the SU Office. The election will take place on Thursday 27th of September.
NUI Galway Students’ Union presents Alison Spittle and Kevin McGahern at 8pm on Monday 24th of September in the O’Flaherty Theatre. Tickets are €5 and are on sale now from the SU Office (Mon-Fri 10am-5pm) and the SU Engineering Desk (Mon-Fri 11am-3pm).
Don’t forget to register for your vote in the Seanad Éireann elections. Register Here.
Win a €1,100 Book Token
Enter at the link here. The prize draw ends on Sunday 21st October.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.