SU Weekly Email 28th Nov 2013Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union!
Extra Study Space Semester 1 2013
Larmor Theatre Sunday 1 Dec – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08-00 until 22.00)
Tyndall Theatre Friday 29 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
O’Flaherty Theatre Friday 29 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Cairnes Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Darcy Thompson Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Kirwan Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Dillon Theatre Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
McMunn Saturday 30 Nov – Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
AC216 Friday 29 Nov – Thursday 5 Dec 2013 (08.00 until 22.00)
Aras Uí Chathail Theatre Sat 30 Nov – Tuesday 10 Dec (08.00 until 22.00)
24 Hour Reading Room Monday 25 Nov- Friday 13 Dec
Christmas Exam Buses Monday 2nd December – Monday 16th December 2013
NUI Galway Students’ Union in partnership with City Direct Bus has organised a Christmas Exam Bus service from NUI Galway to the Salthill Exam Venues of Leisureland and the Galway Bay Hotel. Buses will leave University Road bus stop 30 minutes before the exam starts and will provide a non-stop service to Leisureland. Return buses will leave from Leisureland 10 minutes after the exam finishes and drop students back to University Road.
Cost: €2 per journey.
SU Enterprise Awards 2014 €23,000 Prize Fund
The NUI Galway Students’ Union Enterprise Awards aim to unlock the potential of the students of NUI Galway to invest in their own futures today.
If you have an idea for a new business or a social enterprise then this can be the competition that can allow you to realise your goal. Students are invited to sketch out the initial proposals for their project or business and to draw up the plans they hope will make their idea a reality. The finalists will be given the chance to take their ideas forward and to set about implementing their projects with the assistance of a financial allowance, workshops and clinics.
The overall winner will receive a direct investment of €10,000 in their project to really help get it off the ground in addition to further guidance and mentoring to help bring the project forward, while two runners up prizes, each valued at €5,000 will also be awarded. The six final projects going through to the second stage of the competition will each receive a €500 bursary.
Closing Date for Submissions is 5pm Friday 17th January 2014. More information, submission template and competition rules are available here.
Exams & ID Cards
Make sure you bring your ID card with you and place it on your desk during your exam for inspection. If you do not present your current ID card you will be fined €30. If you have misplaced or lost your ID card, you can get it replaced at the Student Information Desk, Áras Uí Chathail for a fee of €30. During the Exam period the Student Information Desk will be open 09:00-12:30 and 14:00-16:00 Monday to Friday.
No Mobile Phones in Exams
Mobile phones will not be tolerated inside exam halls during exams. The best option is to leave it at home before you come in for your exam. If it is left with your belongings outside of the exam hall the University holds no responsibility for items stolen. Students found to have mobile phones in the exam will have them confiscated and be fined €20. More information on exam rules and regulations is available here.
Operation Santa – Christmas Toy Appeal
You are invited to contribute to this year’s Christmas Toy Appeal. If you have any unused toys please drop them off at the Students’ Union office, upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn. They will be donated to St Vincent de Paul’s ‘Operation Santa’, which assists Irish families struggling this Christmas. The deadline for donation is Monday, 9 December.
Naked Calendar on Sale NOW €5
The NUI Galway Students’ Union 2014 Naked Calendar is on sale across campus now. 63 brave NUI Galway students revealed all for the calendar and you can get an eyeful for only €5! Calendars are on sale from the Students’ Union Office, the SU Shop, the SocsBox, the Hub, Smokey’s and the SU desk in the Engineering Building. All proceeds go to the SU Charities: Galway Rape Crisis Centre and ISPCC/Childline.
Connacht v Toulouse Tickets
We now have NUI Galway Student €15 tickets on sale for the next Connacht Rugby Heineken Cup home match v Toulouse Sat 14th December KO 18:00
Learn Sign Language in 2014
10 Week Basic Sign Language Course just €40 for NUI Galway students. Course A: Tuesday 28th January – Tuesday 1st April 12pm-1pm. Course B: Tuesday 28th January – Tuesday 1st April 1pm-2pm. Course C: Wednesday 29th January – Wednesday 2nd April 6pm-7pm. Sign up now in the SU Office.
World AIDS Day This Sunday
Annual World AIDS Day Candlelit Memorial Service in St. Nicholas’ Collegiate Church at 8.00 pm on Sunday 1st December.
Google is delighted to announce the launch of three opportunities for students:
- Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship. Female Bachelor, Master and PhD students studying Computer Science and related fields in the 2014-2015 academic year can apply to win a €7,000 scholarship. The deadline for applications is 17 February 2014 and you can find more information and apply online at: https://www.google.com/anitaborg/emea/.
- Google Europe Scholarship for Students with Disabilities. Students with a disability studying a Bachelors, Masters or PhD in Computer Science and related fields in the 2014-2015 academic year can apply to win a €7,000 scholarship. The deadline for applications is 17 February 2014 and you can find more information and apply online at: www.google.com/studentswithdisabilities-europe/
- Google Summer Trainee Engineering Program. STEP is a summer internship open to students who have completed the first year of their university studies by summer 2014 and are studying Computer Science or related subjects at a university in Europe. Learn more about the program from our blog post: https://goo.gl/UHG6JR. The deadline for applications is 31 January 2014 and you can find more information and apply online on our student job site: https://goo.gl/JztbdC.
Exam De-Stress Programme
Exam De-stress Programme in the Wellness Centre in the Hub, Áras na MacLéinn runs until the 13th of December, offering massage, acupuncture, craniosacral therapy, shiatsu, and more at subsidised prices. See all the details here: here.
Exams – Need help?
- The Grinds Registeris on our website
- Past Exam Papers are all available online through the Library database
- We also stock a wide range of second-hand books and you can search our databaseto see if the book you want is in stock
- The Academic Writing Centre is open. Make use of their FREE one-on-one writing sessions in the Library.
- Support for Undergraduate Maths Students SUMS offers FREE mathematics support to students.
- Computer DISC FREE Support for programming and software development students.
- More exams tips and advice here.
Could you face the Dragons?
The 6th series of RTÉ’s Dragons’ Den begins in the new year. This series will include a new strand aimed specifically at entrepreneurs in the third level sector. The show is offering campus companies, 3rd level start-ups and students the opportunity to pitch their business idea to the Dragons. If you have a lucrative business idea or are already operating successfully and looking to expand, and could use the financial backing then this is the show for you. The deadline for first stage applications is December 20th. https://www.allaboutbusiness.ie/denlive
CARI Foundation seeks volunteers
The CARI Foundation is recruiting volunteers for the Galway Child and Adolescent Sexual Assault Unit, to accompany the child and family to the child forensic examination. If you are interested in volunteering please contact Eve Farrelly at 01 8308529 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. CARI provide therapy and support for children affected by child sexual abuse.
Why Not Adventure Film Festival this Saturday 30th November in Galway. Student tickets just €8.
Free arts events on campus every week during term time.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our new reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.