SU Weekly Email 28 – 1st April 2015Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Vote for us again please!
NUI Galway Students’ Union is now through to the final 10 in the People’s Choice Award in the Online Marketing in Galway Awards thanks to your votes. We need you to vote one more time before 12pm on Sunday 5th April so we can hopefully win this award against some very tough competition! It only takes two clicks to vote here: https://www.galwaymarketing.ie/peoples-choice/
Al Porter Tickets on Sale Now!
Our last comedy gig of the year is Al Porter at 8pm on Monday 13th April in the O’Flaherty Theatre. Tickets are just €5 and are on sale now from the SU Office. Al Porter just sold out 3 nights in Vicar Street so make sure you get your tickets quick! Please note that this is a replacement gig for our earlier advertised David O’Doherty gig.
Exam Timetables now available online HERE.
Semester 2 exams are scheduled for Monday, 27th April to Wednesday, 13th May 2015 (inclusive). Students are expected to be available for exams for the entire duration of the exam session.
1. Check your personal exam timetable online
2. Also check the Amendments webpage regularly as examination dates/times may change up to the day of your exam.
3. If your timetable is incorrect or you do not have a timetable, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions online before visiting the Student Information Desk in Áras Uí Chathail (Ground Floor).
If you have accessed your Timetable & you experience the following (1) cannot see your modules (2) some modules showing and other modules missing, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your missing modules I.e. course instance code, module code and student ID and we can schedule you for late entry seating or alternatively call in to SID Aras Ui Chathail between 9am-12:30pm & 2pm- 4 pm to be scheduled.
Congratulations to Sean Mc Garry, a 3rd year NUI Galway student studying Physics with Advanced French for Science from Westport Co. Mayo, who has won the top prize of €10,000 in this year’s NUI Galway Students’ Union Enterprise Awards. His company, “The TidyShower Co.”, has designed a range of contemporary bathroom accessories which solely focus on minimizing clutter and maximizing experience, thereby helping to breathe joy back into your shower time.
The two runner-up prizes of €5,000 each were awarded to “The Creative Native” and “Safe Farming Solutions”.
“The Creative Native” is a business development idea to create innovative digital educational resources for the modern learner. “The Creative Native” team consists of two final year PhD students, Eilis Flanagan from Donegal and Ali Mc Namara from Limerick.
“Safe Farming Solutions” consists of a newly designed bolt that aims to improve farm safety and convenience when attaching machinery onto tractors. Aaron Duignan a 4th year student studying Corporate Law (International) from Carrick on Shannon in County Leitrim is the creator of “Safe Farming Solutions”.
Well done to everyone who took part in the competition this year!
We need 3 more SU Officers – Nominations close Weds 8th April.
We are still looking for a Mature Students Officer, a Convenor of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences and a Clubs’ Captain to join the Students’ Union team for 2015/16. Nominations for these 3 positions are now open and close at 5pm on Wednesday 8th April. The election will take place on Thursday 16th April.
Last Issue of Sin newspaper
The last issue of Sin newspaper for this year is now available online here. Well done to Jess and all the team at Sin on a great year of news
Canvassing Training, Wednesday 8th April 7pm, The View (Áras na Mac Léinn)
GiG Soc in conjunction with the NUIG Marriage Equality Taskforce are hosting Canvassing Training on Wednesday 8th April in the View. We will have a number of representatives from the Union of Students in Ireland coming down to facilitate the training, including USI Equality & Citizenship Officer Annie Hoey. If you’re interested in playing your part in this historic Referendum, then this event is not to be missed. Here’s a link to More Information.
Connacht Rugby Tickets Ulster Match
Connacht vs Ulster NUIG Student Tickets €15 (College Road Stand) on sale now from the SU Office and Engineering Desk. Kick-off is 14:40 Saturday 11th April.
Nominations are now open for the USI Student Achievement Awards
The Student Achievement Awards is an annual opportunity for the Student Movement in Ireland to recognise the contribution of students to the life of Ireland and the student community. Nomination deadline is 5pm 14th April.https://usi.ie/awards/
Student Leap Card Available in the SU
Join 115,000 students saving every day with Student Leap Card – the official student lifestyle card for travel, entertainment and retail discounts across Ireland. The card is available in the SU office for just €15. https://www.studentleapcard.ie/#about
Save this date, because we’ve got big plans. Radio and dinner and cake and dancing plans… feel free to ask any Flirt Alumni you might be in contact with to join this event. If you have any old promotional material in digital format feel free to send it on to email@example.com
If you have audio files our dropbox is firstname.lastname@example.org
Console Memorial Walk 2pm Sunday 12th April
Join the Console Memorial Walk to walk in memory of our loved ones who have died by suicide at 2pm on Sunday 12th April. Pat Divilly the Console Youth Mental Health Ambassador will start the walk at the Claddagh Hall. For sponsorship cards contact Margaret on 087 9500380. https://console.ie/
The USI Student Summit is Ireland’s largest Entrepreneurship and Innovation event just for students. On the evening of April 14th, student entrepreneurs and Ireland’s finest start-ups and innovative business leaders will converge in the Round Room, Mansion House, for the USI Student Summit 2015.
Get Tickets Here.
Are you an undergraduate student? Over the age of 18? Who experiences anxiety in social situations?
If you are interested in taking part in a confidential 10 minute online survey examining the impact of Social Anxiety on daily living activities and academic activities in undergraduates or would like further information contact email@example.com (4th year Occupational Therapy student) or access the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZNDMHVJ
Women Entrepreneurs Around The World – Free Event
11am-12.30pm Friday 17th April in Room 110 Cairnes Building More Information.
How have events in your life affected your travel patterns?
Take the CONSENSUS Mobility Biography survey to record your travel history and inform policies for sustainable transport. The survey takes just 15 minutes and is available at: surveysoftware.net/hostss/nuigalway.htm
Dublin to Galway Cycle 18th -20th July in aid of Alzheimer Society of Ireland
Leinster Scrum Half Noel Reid and Connaught Fly Half John Cooney took time out of their gruelling training schedules to call on cyclists and fitness enthusiasts to sign up now for the Dublin to Galway cycle which will bring much needed funds to The Alzheimer Society of Ireland’s local services. To sign up today and get your fundraising pack, please go to www.alzheimer.ie. Or call Orla on 012073833
Easter Holidays Update
- Lectures/Teaching: There will be no lectures/teaching on the following dates: Monday 30th March, Tuesday 31st March, Wednesday 1st April, Wednesday 8th April, Thursday 9th April & Friday 10th April. Easter Holidays are Thursday 2nd April to Tuesday 7th April inclusive. Please note that students of the school of Medicine, Nursing & Health Science should consult their school calendar here.
- Field Trips: Field Trips where relevant will take place between Monday 30th March-Wednesday 1st April and Wednesday 8th April-Friday 10th April.
- James Hardiman Library: The Library will be closed Friday 3rd April-Monday 6th April inclusive.
- The Reading Room: The Reading Room will be open as usual over the Easter.
- Student Health Unit: The Health Unit will be closed Thursday 2nd April-Tuesday 7th April inclusive.
- Students’ Union Office: The Students’ Union Office will be closed Thursday 2nd April-Tuesday 7th April inclusive.
- Students’ Union Cloakroom: The Cloakroom will close at 18:30 on Friday 27th March and will reopen at 09:00 on Monday 13th of April
- Students’ Union Engineering Desk: The Engineering Desk will close at 15:00 on Friday 27th March and will reopen at 11:00 on Monday 13th of April
- The College Bar: The Bar will be closed Friday 3rd April-Monday 6th April inclusive.
- Smokey’s Café: Weds 1st April 08:30-20:00, Thurs 2nd April 09:00-17:00, Closed Fri 3rd April-Mon 6th April inclusive, Tues 7th April 08:30-20:00
- Caife na Gaeilge: Closed Thursday 2nd April – Tuesday 7th April inclusive
- The Hub: Closed Monday 30th March-Tuesday 7th April inclusive
- The SU Shop: Weds 1st April 08:00-21:00, Thurs 2nd April 08:00-21:00, Closed Fri 3rd April-Mon 6th April inclusive
- The Wall Café: Weds 1st April 08:00-20:00, Thurs 2nd April 08:00-20:00, Fri 3rd April 09:00-17:00, Sat 4th April 09:00-17:00, Mon 5th April 09:00-17:00, Tues 6th April 08:00-21:00
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.