SU Weekly Email 27 – 26th March 2015Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
David O’Doherty gig IMPORTANT UPDATE
So unfortunately David has to go over to America and teach a Zumba class in the White House BUT the show must go on so we have the wonderful Al Porter, who just sold out 3 nights in Vicar Street, in as a very able, funny, David O’Doherty replacement. Anyone who already bought a ticket for the gig can use it for the Al Porter show which will be on same time/date/venue OR you can get a full refund from the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm (up until 1pm on Monday 13th April)
Tickets for Al Porter are just €5 and are on sale now from the SU. Al’s show will be on 8pm Monday 13th April in the O’Flaherty Theatre.
David will be back to us in September to play an apology show.
We need 3 more SU Officers! Nominations close Weds 8th April.
We are still looking for a Mature Students Officer, a Convenor of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences and a Clubs’ Captain to join the Students’ Union team for 2015/16.
Nominations for these 3 positions are now open and close at 5pm on Wednesday 8th April. The election will take place on Thursday 16th April.
Vote for us please!
NUI Galway Students’ Union has been nominated for a few awards in the Online Marketing in Galway awards this year including Best Website, Best Social Media and the People’s Choice Award.
The People’s Choice Award is where we need your help as you can vote with just one click of your mouse if you think we deserve this honour. Please give us a vote at the link below and spread the word as we are up against some very tough competition!
The deadline to vote is 5pm Monday 30th March.
Easter Holidays Update
- Lectures/Teaching: There will be no lectures/teaching on the following dates: Monday 30th March, Tuesday 31st March, Wednesday 1st April, Wednesday 8th April, Thursday 9th April & Friday 10th April. Easter Holidays are Thursday 2nd April to Tuesday 7th April inclusive. Please note that students of the school of Medicine, Nursing & Health Science should consult their school calendar here.
- Field Trips: Field Trips where relevant will take place between Monday 30th March-Wednesday 1st April and Wednesday 8th April-Friday 10th April.
- James Hardiman Library: The Library will be closed Friday 3rd April-Monday 6th April inclusive.
- The Reading Room: The Reading Room will be open as usual over the Easter.
- Student Health Unit: The Health Unit will be closed Thursday 2nd April-Tuesday 7th April inclusive.
- Students’ Union Office: The Students’ Union Office will be closed Thursday 2nd April-Tuesday 7th April inclusive.
- Students’ Union Cloakroom: The Cloakroom will close at 18:30 on Friday 27th March and will reopen at 09:00 on Monday 13th of April
- Students’ Union Engineering Desk: The Engineering Desk will close at 15:00 on Friday 27th March and will reopen at 11:00 on Monday 13th of April
- The College Bar: The Bar will be closed Friday 3rd April-Monday 6th April inclusive. Tues 7th-Fri 10th April 10:30-18:30.
- Smokey’s Café: Weds 1st April 08:30-20:00, Thurs 2nd April 09:00-17:00, Closed Fri 3rd April-Mon 6th April inclusive, Tues 7th April 08:30-20:00
- Caife na Gaeilge: Closed Thursday 2nd April – Friday 10th April inclusive
- The Hub: Closed Monday 30th March-Friday 10th April inclusive
- The SU Shop: Weds 1st April 08:00-21:00, Thurs 2nd April 08:00-21:00, Closed Fri 3rd April-Mon 6th April inclusive
- The Wall Café: Weds 1st April 08:00-20:00, Thurs 2nd April 08:00-20:00, Fri 3rd April 09:00-17:00, Sat 4th April 09:00-17:00, Mon 5th April 09:00-17:00, Tues 6th April 08:00-21:00
ISIC Cards Available in the SU
Heading somewhere exotic this summer? Don’t forget to get your ISIC Card from the SU office for just €15. This gets you piles of student discounts around the world! https://www.isiccard.ie/
Connacht Rugby Tickets Ulster Match
Connacht vs Ulster NUIG Student Tickets €15 (College Road Stand) on sale now from the SU Office and Engineering Desk. Kick-off is 14:40 Saturday 11th April.
Most ALIVE Class Nominations Open!
Has your class been outstanding volunteers this year? Nominations close Monday 30th March at 9am. Prize is a class party in the College Bar, celebrate your community and nominate your class for its volunteering this year! Apply Here.
Student Leap Card Available in the SU
Join 115,000 students saving every day with Student Leap Card – the official student lifestyle card for travel, entertainment and retail discounts across Ireland. The card is available in the SU office for just €15. https://www.studentleapcard.ie/#about
Microsoft FREE Studysmart Sessions Are Back on Monday
Take part in three FREE tutorials on how best to use Microsoft Office for College this Monday 30th March in AC204.
1pm-2pm: Take our Word – everything you need to create the ultimate assignment and thesis document.
2pm-3pm: Pimp my Slides – the ultimate presentation masterclass in 50 minutes.
3pm-4pm: Spreadcheating – everything you need to know about Excel all in one short, free tutorial.
Attention PhD students nearing completion of theses – University Write-up Bursaries
A limited number of write-up bursaries are being offered to address the problems being encountered by PhD students who are near to completing their theses yet who find themselves, for whatever reason, without funding. These write-up bursaries will be tenable for up to a three-month period and will be worth €1,000 per month. Completed applications (application form and form B) must be received by the College office on or before 17:00 Friday, 1st May 2015.
The application form & Terms and Conditions are now available on webpage here.
Galway’s bid for European Capital of Culture requires that we re-imagine our future. How can we transform Galway? Share your ideas!
HOW: Register to speak for three minutes about your ideas for Galway’s future. Bring up to three slides or just your words. Let’s discuss!
WHERE: Upstairs in the Róisín Dubh on Dominick Street.
WHEN: Monday, March 30th, 2015, from 7pm – 8:15pm
Register at: email@example.com Tweet: @galway2020 More Information.
Congratulations to the winner of this year’s Academic Writing Centre Writing Competition, Esther Woods.
You can read her piece in the next issue of Sin and on the AWC Website.
The AWC will close for Easter on 27 March and re-open on 13 April.
Limited number of 20% student discount tickets now available for Online Marketing in Galway Awards night and panel discussion on Wednesday 8th April in Town Hall Theatre Galway
The Awards night itself, is not just a night for finalists and winners, it is a night to celebrate the great Digital Story’s in Galway at the moment. There will be a special panel discussion with Catriona O’Kennedy, Head of Marketing and Communications at IDA Ireland, Pauric Lenihan, Head of Digital at Aviva and Joan Mulvihill, CEO of the Irish Internet Association.
To complete the evening there will be an after party in Brasserie on the Corner – with finger food and a DJ!
Fingers crossed NUI Galway Students’ Union will be walking away with an award or two from our three nominations – oh yeah don’t forget to vote for us in the People’s Choice Award!
Are you an undergraduate student? Over the age of 18? Who experiences anxiety in social situations?
If you are interested in taking part in a confidential 10 minute online survey examining the impact of Social Anxiety on daily living activities and academic activities in undergraduates or would like further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org (4th year Occupational Therapy student) or access the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZNDMHVJ
Give it Socks to support Galway’s Homeless
The Cope Galway Give it Socks 5k run or walk to support Galway’s homeless takes place at 11am on Saturday 25th April in Salthill. Entry is just €15 and includes medals, timing chips and refreshments for all entrants. Wear your most horrific, funky socks! Register here.
Bake sale TODAY Thursday 26th March 11am-2pm
Why not get yourselves along to the ILAS building and chose from a selection of tasty treats for a reasonable price. Everything must go. All in aid of Nurture Africa.
Volunteers needed for Cúirt Festival of Literature
Cúirt are seeking volunteers from Tuesday 21st to Sunday 27th of April. If interested please fill out this form and return it to email@example.com
Do you want to be part of something new and exciting this MAY?
VOLUNTEER for Galway Theatre Festival!! This year we’re really pushing the envelope with our most varied, unique and exciting programme yet and we’d love enthusiastic folk to join us in making this the best festival we possibly can! For more info e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Support World Autism Awareness Day
Thursday 2nd April was declared World Autism Awareness Day (WAAD) by the United Nations. Please support the World Autism Awareness Day Campaign and donate today to create awareness and also generate funds to improve the lives of people with Autism. Text WAAD to 50300 to donate €2 to The Irish Society for Autism
Semester 2 Exams
The Semester 2 exam timetable will be available online at 4pm on Monday 30th March.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.
Don’t Forget the Clocks Go Forward an Hour on Sunday! #GrandStretch