SU Weekly Email 25 – 14th March 2019Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Vote TODAY! #NUIGSU19
Today is your chance to vote to decide who will be your SU Part Time Officers so make your voice heard! Bring your NUIG ID card and vote:
- 10am-8pm Concourse (old Print That Shop near Smokey’s Café)
- 11am-8pm Áras na Mac Léinn
- 12pm-5pm Engineering Building
- 10am-8pm via Remote Vote on the SU Website
All the information about who is running for election and how you can also run for election is available here.
Please note: Only Society Auditors may vote for Society Chairperson and only Club Captains may vote for Clubs’ Captain 10am-8pm in the Concourse polling station.
At 1pm next Thurs 21st of March 2019 we are asking all NUI Galway students and staff to leave their lectures in a walk out to demand that the Government #FundTheFuture
- We reject the idea of a loan scheme to fund higher education and condemn the current €3,000 contribution fee.
- We believe Education is a public good and should be funded as such.
For more information contact email@example.com
Want to Run for Election?
We have a number of part time officer positions left to fill and nominations open today!
- Postgraduate Taught Officer
- Postgraduate Research Officer
- International Students Officer
- Ethnic Minorities Officer
Nominations for these positions open 10am today Thurs 14th of March (nomination forms available from the SU and SU Website). Nominations close 5pm Thurs 21st of March (nomination forms must be returned to the box in the SU Office). The Election will take place on Thurs 28th March.
SU Council Chair Elections
Nominations are now open for the position of SU Council Chair. Nominations close at 5pm on Tuesday 19th of March. Nomination forms are available from the SU Office/Website. Please note that only registered Class Reps can run for, nominate and vote in this election. The Election will take place at 6pm on Monday 25th of March in the O’Flaherty Theatre.
Vodafone Freebies Today!
Vodafone will be in Áras na Mac Léinn today promoting their Vodafone X offer from 11am-4pm. They will be giving all switching customers free wireless Plantronics headphones when they switch!
Monday 25th March
Tuesday 26th March
- 11am-3pm Bake sale in Smokey’s Café – Treat yourself Tuesday!
- 8pm Sex Toy Bingo in the Corrib Room at Sult – €3 entry includes free mini sex toy! Tickets from EventBrite
Wednesday 27th March
- 12.30pm-4pm Clothes Drive in Áras na Mac Léinn – Take some clothes/leave a donation.
- 11pm Super Club in Electric/FourFour in aid of the SU Charities. Tickets from Uniphi
All events are raising funds for the Galway Rape Crisis Centre and COPE Galway. To volunteer email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sin Issue 11
Read the latest issue of Sin newspaper here: https://issuu.com/fuzzfuzz/docs/volume_20_issue_11
#NUIGSU19 Full Time Officer Election Results
You can read the results from last week’s election HERE.
Join us for a talk and Q&A on “Spotting Toxic Relationships and the Psychology behind Them” at 6.30pm on Wednesday 20th of March. Light refreshments provided on the night! The talk will be given by Christie Tetreault, a PhD candidate at the NUIG School of Psychology and member of the Risky and Extreme Behaviour Research Group.
The Semester 2 Exam Timetable will be available online from 12noon TODAY Thursday 14th of March. Semester 2 exams will begin on Monday 8th April (5MB3 Students Only) and Tuesday 23rd April (All Students). All exams will end on Friday 10th of May. If your timetable is incorrect or you do not have a timetable, please consult the Frequently Asked Questions online before visiting the Student Information Desk in Áras Uí Chathail (Ground Floor).
With Maths – SUMS
With Programming – Computer DISC
With Writing – Academic Writing Centre
With Academic Skills – Academic Skills Hub
With Anything – SU Grinds Register
FREE STI Clinics
The free STI Clinic in the Student Health Unit in Áras na Mac Léinn is by appointment only phone 091 492 604 to book. Remember you can pick up FREE condoms from the SU Office or the SU Engineering Desk all year long.
Marchathon Week 2 Competitions
- Team Photo Competition: St. Patrick’s Day Themed Team Photo Competition the most creative, innovative and hilarious photos will win Smarter Travel Goodie Packs for the team. All photos must be submitted by 1pm Fri 15th March at this link.
- Go the Distance Competition – Machu Picchu Inca Trail: This week we’re challenging your team to complete the Machu Picchu Inca Trail (45km), by achieving a weekly team average of 60,000 steps. Each team that achieves an average of 60,000 steps and above will be entered into a draw for a Smarter Travel Goodie Pack and €10 Me2You Gift Card for each member of the team!
You can still sign up to take part in the Marchathon Challenge and win prizes for walking here.
Daffodil Day Coffee Morning
There will be a Daffodil Day Coffee Morning 10am-12pm on Friday 22nd of March at the Coffee Dock on the 3rd Floor of Áras Moyola. There’ll be a raffle, coffee, goodies and daffodil pins on sale all to raise funds for the Irish Cancer Society. Want to help out? Email email@example.com
Meditation Day – Free Tickets
9am-4pm Thursday 25th of April the School of Education will be hosting a full day of relaxation techniques and meditation. Choose to attend the full day 9am-4pm or the half day 1.15pm-4pm. Get free tickets here.
USIT will be on campus Weds 20th March with information on the J1 Visa, Camp Counsellor Visa, Graduate Visas and lots more 12pm-2pm at Smokey’s and 2pm-3pm in the Large Acoustic Room in Áras na Mac Léinn.
1pm Tomorrow is the Deadline to Apply for the ALIVE Volunteering Award
Finish your application with input of at least 12 hours of volunteering and at least 4 reflective questions on your volunteering experience and be awarded with President’s Award/ALIVE Certificate for your volunteering and Civic Engagement.
Deadline: 1pm Fri 15th March! Ceremony: 12pm Tues 2nd April in Bailey Allen Hall
Are You Registered to Vote?
The deadline to register to vote or to change your address to make sure you can vote on 24th of May in the Local Elections, European Elections and Blasphemy Referendum is Tuesday 7th of May. You can pick up the paperwork to register to vote or to change your address details in the Students’ Union Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm.
The NUI Galway 5k run in aid of Jigsaw Galway takes place at 7pm on Tuesday 2nd of April. This is a spectacular Run, Jog or Walk around the University Campus along the banks of the river Corrib. Early bird registration rate is €10 for students and €15 for staff/public until the 26th of March and includes a free t-shirt! Register here.
- 19:35 Friday 22nd March Connacht vs Benetton: NUIG-Ben-1819
- 15:00 Saturday 13th April Connacht vs Cardiff: NUIG-Car-1819
Buy your tickets on the Connacht Rugby website and use the codes above to get the reduced rate NUIG student price. Valid for 50 tickets per match. NUIG student ID required. Bohermore Terrace only.
Friday’s for Future Galway 1pm Tomorrow
Secondary school students from all over Galway will skip school this Friday to take part in a school strike for the environment and they have invited NUI Galway students to join them. The students will gather in Eyre Square at 1pm this Friday 15th March to protest for the Irish Government to take immediate action on climate change.
CUSP Sustainability Summer Internships Applications Close Tuesday 19th March
The Community and University Sustainability Project Team (CUSP) is seeking to offer Sustainability Leadership Awards to up to 4 NUI Galway Students to advance the roll-out of the NUI Galway Sustainability Strategy 2017-2020. The Awards are being offered in 4 project theme areas namely Energy; Water; Nature & Ecosystems; and Communications & Engagement. The awards are open to NUI Galway Students and successful applicants will be awarded an 8 week scholarship (June-August 2018) funded by the NUI Galway Students’ Union through the Student Project Fund. Log onto our CUSP website to find out more information.
Chronic Pain Research Study
Researchers at the Centre for Pain Research in NUI Galway would like to invite people with chronic pain and at least one other chronic condition to take part in a research study where they will get the opportunity to use a new online psychological programme. To find out more about the study, please email firstname.lastname@example.org – the study will close to new participants soon!
This is an information event for anyone considering postgraduate study in the area of Health Promotion, Workplace Wellness and Cardiovascular Health. It’s an opportunity to meet with our staff, find out more about our programmes and visit our campus. Email for further information: email@example.com
NUI Galway St. Patrick’s Day Bank Holiday Arrangements 2019
- Monday 18th of March is a Bank Holiday so there are no lectures.
- The Students’ Union Office will CLOSE at 5pm on Fri 15th March and will reopen at 10am on Tues 19th March.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will CLOSE at 3pm on Fri 15th of March and reopen at 11am on Tues 19th March.
- The Students’ Union Shop Sat 16th March 10am-4pm, CLOSED Sun 17th & Mon 18th March.
- Sult will be CLOSED Sat 16th, Sun 17th & Mon 18th March. Reopening 8.30am Tues 19th March.
- Caifé na Gaeilge CLOSED Sat 16th, Sun 17th and Mon 18th March.
- Smokey’s Café is open Sat 16th March 9am-5pm, Sun 17th March 11am-4pm, CLOSED Mon 18th March.
- The Wall Café is open Sat 16th March 9am-3pm, Sun 17th & Mon 18th March 11am-3pm
- The James Hardiman Library will be CLOSED on Mon 18th March.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will be CLOSED on Mon 18th March.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with a new issue on Tues 2nd April.
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE
Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh!
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.