SU Weekly Email 22 – 16th February 2017Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
- Nominations are now open for the SU Council Chairperson close at 5pm this Monday 20th of February. The SU Council Chairperson will be elected at the last SU Council meeting of the year at 6pm on Monday 27th of February. Please note that only registered Class Reps can run for, nominate and vote in this election.
- Nominations are now open for the 3 Full Time Paid SU Officer Positions of President, Vice President/Education Officer and Vice President/Welfare Officer and close at 5pm next Wednesday 22nd of February. The election takes place on Thursday 2nd of March.
- Nominations open for the 11 Voluntary SU Officer Positions of Oifigeach na Gaeilge, Equality, Societies, Clubs, Postgrad, Mature Students and the 5 College Convenors at 10am on Thursday 23rd of February and close at 5pm on Wednesday 1st of March. The election takes place on Thursday 9th of March.
Nomination forms are available from the SU Office and the SU Website. Completed nomination forms must be returned to the box in the SU Office by the specified deadline.
Equality Week Events
Tues 21st Feb
All Day: Tompax (time of the month packs): Free pads, tampons, and chocolate across campus.
6pm-8pm: Amnesty Society panel discussion on Repealing the 8th Amendment in IT125.
Weds 22nd Feb
2pm-4pm: Accessibility Audit of the campus with ESN. We’ll be doing a walk around campus to identify things that should be changed; both physically and in terms of facilities, that could improve the campus for Students with Disabilities.
Thurs 23rd Feb
All Day: Tompax (time of the month packs): Free pads, tampons, and chocolate across campus
11am-1pm ICTU Stand at Smokey’s Café
1pm-2pm Do you work? Do you feel that your rights are infringed? Come to the D’arcy Thompson Theatre! We have a wide range of speakers from Employment Relation representatives who will inform us of our rights.
More information from firstname.lastname@example.org
Our last SU Comedy Gig of the year is on at 8pm on Monday 6th of March and features Fred Cooke, Kevin McGahern AND Joanne McNally all for €5. Tickets are on sale now from the SU Office and the SU Engineering desk and all proceeds go to the SU charities: RNLI (Galway Lifeboats) and Threshold.
Complete the National Student Survey – win an iPad
The National Student Survey is your chance to make a difference to the future of students at NUI Galway. Make sure you take part and have your say and you could win an iPad! It only takes 8 minutes and it will make a big difference to life at NUI Galway.
The survey is open to:
- First Year Undergraduates
- Final Year Undergraduates
- Taught Postgraduates
Click on www.studentsurvey.ie to complete the survey before the 26th of February
Connacht Rugby Tickets
We now have Connacht Rugby NUIG student tickets on sale for the following matches:
- 19:35 Sat 18th Feb Connacht vs Dragons €15
- 19:35 Fri 3rd March Connacht vs Zebre €15
- 19:35 Sat 15th April Connacht vs Leinster €20
Tickets on sale in SU Office (Mon-Fri 10am-5pm) and SU Engineering Desk (Mon-Thurs 11am-3pm & Fri 11am-2pm)
Marchathon 2017 – The 10,000 Step Challenge Weds 1st-Fri 31st of March
Win action cameras, shopping vouchers, travel cups, t-shirts, jumpers and lots more!
How to take part
- Free to take part
- Get into a team of 3 – 6 people
- Sign up online at www.activetravellogger.ie
- a) Team captain choose a team name and set up your team online
- b) Then team members sign up online and join this team
- Get a step counter – FREE Step Counters available in SU Office or download an app (e.g. Free Smarter Travel Step Counter), use a fit bit, Ipod or other step tracking device
- From the 1st to 31st of March get walking where possible, aiming to increase your steps throughout the challenge reaching 10,000 steps or more by the 31st of March.
Irish Language Petition
Please sign the following petition in relation to the Irish Language proficiency for the President of NUIG.
We’ll be filling our HUGE VINTAGE SALE, with only the best ON TREND 80s+90s wavy garms at teeny tiny prices! We’ll be stocking; Aztec, Plaid, Cord, Crazy, Pattern, Printed, Cropped, Oversized, Re-worked, USA Vintage, Branded Sportswear, Streetwear, Handmade Jewels, Crystals, Charms, Hats, Pumps, Sweats, Knitwear, 90’s Denim, Suede Bombers, Jackets, Coats, Shirts, Jeans, Dungarees, T’s, Sweaters, Shell, Skirts…. +so much more!
Need Books? Or Want to Sell Books?
Upcoming Class Reps Meetings
|Mon 20th Feb||6pm – 7pm||AC201||Arts Concourse||Science Council|
|Tues 21st Feb||6pm – 7pm||MY123||Áras Moyola||Health Sciences Council|
|Weds 22nd Feb||2pm – 3pm||Students’ Union Exec Office||Áras na Mac Léinn||Postgrad Council|
|Mon 27th Feb||6pm – 9pm||IT250||IT Building||SU Council|
Contact Cathal on email@example.com for more information
Upcoming FREE Workshops at NUI Galway
- Presentation Skills Workshop, 7pm-9pm Tuesday 21st of February, Room G011 Library Lobby (beside soft seating)
- ‘Troubled by Procrastination?’ Workshop, 7pm-8.30pm Tuesday 21st of February, Room G065 Psychology ground floor, corridor on right off lobby
- Transition to Employment, CV and Interview Skills Workshop and How to answer questions relating to disability and mental health in Interviews/CV 1pm-2pm Thurs 23rd of Feb, G010 Library Lobby
Career Development Centre Free Events next week include
- Personal Statement Workshop
- Employer in Residence – Aldi
- Chartered Accountancy Careers Fair (External)
For more information and to register visit www.nuigalway.ie/careers
The Sin Weekly Meetings take place 6pm-7pm every Monday in AC215 and all are welcome. To get involved go to the meeting or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Give Blood at NUIG TODAY 12pm-3.30pm in Bailey Allen Hall
The Brain Café: NUI Galway’s Third Annual Undergraduate Research Conference – Volunteer with us!
The Annual Undergraduate Research Conference takes place this year on the 4th of April and offers an excellent opportunity for students of all faculties to present their research ideas in an academic yet friendly environment. We are looking for volunteers like you to join our team to help organize and make this inspiring event possible! In appreciation for your efforts, digital badges will be awarded to those who attend, present and organise. A perfect touch on your CV while you grow, explore and learn new research skills.
Cáca Dána Theatre Company Presents Eternal Youth by Niamh Ryan
Thurs 23rd-Sat 25th February, 8.30pm in Town Hall Theatre. Tickets €12/€10. Through their energetic rhythm and visceral relationship , teenagers Ashley and Darren will capture you and draw you into their fantastical reality as they struggle through their transition into adulthood.
Everyone’s welcome to join the Galway Swing February Frolic from 8.30pm this Saturday 18th of February. It’s their beginner-friendly night of dancing with a €5 suggested donation, all profits go to Croí.
African Caribbean Society – Take Me Out (Valentines Event)
Take Me Out will take place in the Bailey Allen hall (Áras na Mac Léinn) next Thursday the 23rd of February with a great night of food, fun and romance. Doors open at 6:30 pm with some complimentary photographs and the show begins at 7pm SHARP! €5 tickets available from the Socs Box.
Email : email@example.com for more information.
Survey: The Association between alcohol induced falls, related injuries and occupational dysfunction among Irish university students – a cross sectional study
I am a final year Occupational Therapy student, as part of my final year research I am inviting NUIG students who have experienced a fall or fall-related injury whilst under the influence of alcohol to complete a questionnaire. Anyone over the age 18 who has experienced a fall whilst under the influence of alcohol is invited to take part. Participation is wholly voluntary. The questionnaire should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. https://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/3305155/New-Survey
If you have any questions contact: S.firstname.lastname@example.org
The Academic Writing Centre is Open Again
You can drop in to the AWC to get FREE help with all aspects of essay writing including the writing process (and writer’s block), essay structure, punctuation, using secondary sources and avoiding plagiarism.
Opening hours: 11am-1pm and 6pm-8pm daily (except weekends and Friday nights).
NUI Graduates register for your Seanad Éireann Vote by 26th February
FREE Cloakroom open TOMORROW
The SU FREE Cloakroom will be open on Fridays 9am-5pm during term time. The service is still free but will only be one day per week. Items must be removed at 5pm and we can’t take laptops. The SU Cloakroom is located in the library basement beside the Students’ Union XL Shop.
Hardiman Phd scholarships
Closing Date TOMORROW Friday 17th February https://www.nuigalway.ie/hardiman-scholarships/
Need Grinds?/Want to Give Grinds?
Our office is upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Thursday 11am-3pm and Friday 11am-2pm.