SU Weekly Email 21 – 14th February 2019Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
€5 Tickets for comedians Neil Delamere and Gearoid Farrelly this Monday 18th of February are on sale now from SU Office, SU Engineering Desk or Credit/Debit card bookings on 091 493 570.
- Nominations for the 3 full-time paid officer positions of President, Vice-President/Education Officer and Vice-President/Welfare and Equality Officer will open at 10am TODAY Thursday 14th of February. Nominations close at 5pm on Thursday 21st of February at which point completed nomination forms must be returned to the box in the SU Office. The Election will take place 10am-8pm on Thursday the 7th of March.
- Nominations for the 15 voluntary part-time officer positions will open at 10am on Thursday the 21st of February and will close at 5pm on Thursday 28th of February at which point completed nomination forms must be returned to the box in the SU Office. The Election will take place 10am-8pm Thursday the 14th of March.
- Nominations for the voluntary SU Council Chairperson position will open at 10am on Monday 11th of March and will close at 5pm on Tuesday 19th of March. The Election will take place at the last SU Council meeting of the year at 6pm on Monday 25th of March. Please note that only registered Class Reps can run for, nominate and vote in this election.
Your full guide to running for SU Elections 2019/20 is available HERE
SHAG Week Events TODAY Thurs 14th Feb
- 5pm-7pm FREE STI Clinic in the Student Health Unit. Phone 091 492 604 for appointment.
- 8pm The Dirty Circus at Sult – Comedy, Burlesque, Cabaret and Sauciness! FREE event in the main bar.
- All day free condoms from the SU and SU Engineering Desk
Have you registered for your Seanad Éireann Vote? The deadline to get your completed registration form in is Tuesday the 26th of February so get it on your to-do list! Registration forms are also available in the SU Office upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn. More information here.
- 7pm-8.30pm Tuesday 19th February Managing your Time and Workload. Library Lobby G010. Gain control & balance of your time and life. Work smarter – not harder.
- 5.30pm-7pm Wednesday 20th February Troubled by Procrastination? Library Lobby G010. Skills to resist the influence of procrastination. A playful way to address a difficult problem.
FREE Mindfulness Practice with Buddhist Monk this Monday
The Mindful Way NUI Galway is delighted to welcome Thubten Gelong back to the campus on Monday 18th February. Thubten is a Buddhist Monk and contributed to the Ruby Wax book “How to be Human”. Join us for mindfulness sessions at 8:10am, 1:10pm or 5:10pm on Monday 18th February in Room CA107 Cairnes Building (or come to all three!)
Find Your Masters month at NUI Galway
If you’re thinking about postgrad study, then Find Your Masters month should be of interest to you. Events include a Power Brunch, lunchtime presentations, a Mini Open Evening, and more. Full schedule online: check calendar often, events will be added as they present. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
2019 Chinese New Year Festival (中国新年)
To celebrate the Chinese New Year of the Pig, NUI Galway China Society will hold a Chinese New Year Festival Party in the Hub from 1pm this Saturday 16th of February. We will show some Chinese traditional culture, such as Chinese writing, paper cutting and we will teach you how to cook delicious Chinese dumplings. All students are welcome! Attendance is free but you have to book your place here.
Every week during term there are FREE Mindfulness classes at NUI Galway. Feel free to drop in – all are welcome.
- 8.10am-8.50am Tuesdays Mindfulness for Beginners Class in AC201
- 1.10pm-1.50pm Wednesdays Mindfulness Shared Practice in AC201
Research Study: Factors Affecting Blood Donation Intentions and Behaviours
NUI Galway students are invited to take part in a research study investigating the factors that influence how likely people are to donate blood. Participation involves filling out a 10 minute online survey here.
For more info contact L.HOLDEN3@nuigalway.ie or S.GERAGHTY13@nuigalway.ie. NB: You may not take part in this study if you are aware that you are unable to donate blood, or if you are under 18 years of age.
FameLab Galway Thurs 21st of Feb
At FameLab Competing scientists will be given a total of three minutes each to explain their research, or any scientific concept they like to a public audience and a panel of judges.
Social Inclusion and Public Engagement in Science Workshops
Free practical training on how to run and deliver socially-inclusive public engagement activities in science, targeted at children from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds including children from migrant/refugee backgrounds – 9am-12.30pm Thurs 4th April or 9am-12.30pm Fri 5th April in the O’Donoghue Center for Drama. Open to anyone with an interest in science communication, public engagement and minorities.
Do You Have a Child Aged 18-30 Months?
Part-time working parents/stay at home parents with an 18-30 month old child sought for 2 studies looking into the possible effects of parent and child smartphone use on the development of children.
Study 1: This is a quick, anonymous ten-minute survey looking at the way parents and children communicate in the digital age. Survey Link
Study 2: This is an observational study taking place in a natural setting that would include a visit to your home once a month for 7 months, and one visit to NUIG within the 7 months. Contact K.Ruane3@nuigalway.ie to take part. The benefits to participating in this study are that your family will receive a social skills, language and behavioural assessment at no cost. (*Not medical in nature, for research purposes only. If there are any concerns about your child’s development, please contact your GP).
Registration is now open for Galway Energy Summit, Ireland’s only student inspired energy summit, which takes place at NUI Galway on Tuesday 12th of March.
Media Fund Open for Applications
The Simon Cumbers Media Fund is now seeking applications from third level students interested in travelling to a developing country to report for a national media outlet. The deadline for applications is Friday, 22nd March 2019.
My Thesis in 3 Minutes in French
Registration for the “My Thesis in 3 Minutes in French” competition closes Thursday 28th of February. To take part you have to be a PhD student currently registered in an Irish higher education institution. #MT3F is opened to all disciplines and all nationalities! Register here.
Win a Trip to the European Parliament in Brussels
With less than 100 days until the European Elections this contest is looking for innovative projects which you would like to organise, encouraging your community to go out and vote. Entry details here.
The National Student Survey is your chance to make a difference to the future of students at NUI Galway. The survey is open to: First Year Undergrad, Final Year Undergrad and Taught Postgrad students. There are lots of prizes to be won by filling out the survey too.
Use the following discount codes online to get the reduced NUI Galway student rate for these Connacht Rugby home matches:
- 5pm Saturday 16th February Connacht vs Cheetahs CODE: NUIG-Che-1819
- 2.45pm Saturday 2nd March Connacht vs Ospreys CODE: NUIG-Osp-1819
Limited to 50 tickets per match for the Bohermore Terrace only. NUI Galway Student ID required.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.