SU Weekly Email 16 – 14th December 2017Weekly Email
Welcome to your last weekly email of 2017!
Life Skills Courses Now Enrolling
- Bar Skills Course €20 Donation to Charity (26th Jan or 16th Feb)
- Sign Language 10 week course €40 (starts 30th January)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) 2 Day Course €10 Deposit (8th & 9th Feb)
- Cardiac First Responder ½ Day Course €40 (22nd Feb)
- First Aid Responder 3 Day Course €100 (23rd Feb, 2nd March & 9th March)
Sign up in the SU Office or phone 091 524810 to register by credit card
Orange Student Leap Cards Expiring 31st Dec
Remember the orange Student Leap Cards expire on the 31st of December so make sure you call in to get the new purple card in the SU Office before we close/you head home for Christmas. It costs €10, we take your photo and it’s valid until 31st December 2018.
We are delighted to welcome back David O’Doherty to NUI Galway at 8pm on Monday 22nd of January 2018 in the O’Flaherty Theatre, NUI Galway. Tickets are on sale in the SU now for just €5 and all proceeds to go the SU Charities Domestic Violence Response and AMACH!
Financial Aid Fund Applications Close Friday 12th of January
Online applications are now open for the semester 2 Financial Aid Fund and they close on Friday 12th of January. More information available here.
The year ahead
|Fri 12th Jan||Financial Aid Fund Applications Close|
|Mon 15th Jan||Teaching Begins|
|Weds 17th Jan||Clubs & Socs Day|
|Mon 22nd Jan||SU Council|
|Mon 22nd Jan||SU Charity Comedy with David O’Doherty|
|Weds 24th Jan||SU Working & Traveling Abroad Fair|
|Weds 24th Jan||Commerce Ball|
|Mon 29th Jan – Fri 2nd Feb||SU Mental Health Week|
|Tues 30th Jan||SU Vintage Clothes Fair|
|Weds 31st Jan||Deadline for Fees Payment Semester 2|
|Weds 31st Jan||Engineering & Nursing Ball|
|Sat 3rd Feb||SU Charity Collection Day|
|Weds 7th Feb||Arts Ball|
|Mon 12th – Fri 16th Feb||SU SHAG Week|
|Mon 12th Feb||SU Comedy with Michael McCoy|
|Mon 12th Feb||SU Council|
|Tues 13th – Thurs 15th Feb||Blood Donation Clinic|
|Sat 17th Feb||SU Charity Croagh Patrick Climb|
|Thurs 22nd Feb TBC||SU RSA Shuttle|
|Thurs 22nd Feb||SU Full Time Election Nominations OPEN|
|Mon 26th Feb – Fri 23rd March||SU Marchathon Challenge|
|Thurs 1st March||SU Part Time Nominations OPEN|
|Mon 5th March||SU Council|
|Thurs 8th March||SU Full Time Officer Elections|
|Thurs 15th March||SU Part Time Officer Elections|
|Thurs 22nd March||Societies Awards|
|Sat 24th March||Teaching Ends Before Easter Holidays|
|Mon 26th – Thurs 29th March||Field Trips|
|Mon 2nd – Sat 7th April||Easter Holidays|
|Mon 9th April||Teaching Resumes after Easter Holidays|
|Saturday 21st April||Teaching Ends|
|Mon 23rd – Sat 28th April||Study Week|
|Mon 30th April-Thurs 17th May||Exams|
NUIG Student Connacht Rugby Tickets on Sale now
- Connacht vs Brive 3pm Saturday 16th December €20
- Connacht vs Ulster 7.35pm Saturday 23rd December €20
On sale in the SU Office and the SU Engineering Desk. NUIG Student ID Required. Tickets are for Bohermore Terrace.
Cloakroom Open TODAY
Don’t forget the FREE SU Cloakroom is open every Thursday & Friday 9am-6pm during term if you need to leave your stuff somewhere safe during the exams.
We will be holding another free 2 day ASIST Course 9am-5pm on Thursday 8th and Friday 9th of February 2018. ASIST trains participants to reduce the immediate risk of a suicide and increase the support for a person at risk. It helps them seek a shared understanding of reasons for suicide and reasons for living. If you want to sign up for the course please call to the SU Office to register and pay the €10 refundable deposit. Spaces are limited.
2018 Hardiman PhD Scholarships Scheme for New PhD Students is Open
The Hardiman scholarships are fully funded for four years, with a stipend of €16,000 per annum, plus your fees are paid for the 4 years. These Scholarships offer opportunities for suitably qualified individuals to pursue a Structured PhD focused on the five key areas of research in which the University offers leading expertise.
You will find potential PhD supervisors at Find a Supervisor/ PhD
Applications close at 5pm 16th February 2018. Scholarships begin 1st September 2018.
All information relating to these scholarships will be posted HERE
Our basic introductory course in Sign Language runs over 10 weeks with a 1 hour class each week and costs just €40. You can sign up in the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm or call 091 524 810 to register with credit card.
Course A: 12pm-1pm Tues 30th Jan – Tues 17th April
Course B: 1pm-2pm Tues 30th Jan – Tues 17th April
Course C: 6pm-7pm Weds 31st Jan – Weds 18th April
Course D: 6pm-7pm Thurs 1st Feb – Thurs 19th April
(No Classes week of 26th March or 2nd April – Easter Break)
The Examinations Office releases official examination results only and is not involved in the release of any provisional results. Provisional results may be released locally by Schools/Colleges via Blackboard Grade Centre. Students are advised to check Blackboard for information about provisional result release dates in the first instance or contact your College/School Office
Scheduled 12 hour downtime for Blackboard Service Mon 18th Dec 19:30
Essential upgrade work is required and will begin on the NUI Galway Blackboard service at 19:30 on the evening of Monday 18th December. The downtime will extend for 12 hours.
During this period the Blackboard service (including Turnitin, Blackboard Mobile, Skills4Study, etc.) will be unavailable. If you have any queries, please contact the Service Desk Tel. 091 495 777 Email email@example.com
Volunteer with us in 2018!
We are looking for more volunteers to help us raise funds for Domestic Violence Response and AMACH! LGBT in 2018. Here’s the events we have planned and we need as much help as possible so email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved!
- SU Charity Comedy Gig with David O’Doherty Monday 22nd January
- SU Annual Charity Collection Day Saturday 3rd February
- SU Croagh Patrick Climb with NUIG Mountaineering Club Saturday 17th February
All volunteers who help out can include time spent volunteering in their ALIVE Student Volunteer Certificate Application.
Soapbox Science is grass-roots science outreach organisation that brings cutting edge research onto urban streets whilst also promoting the visibility of women in science. We place inspirational speakers on soapboxes and encourage them to engage in and start conversations with the public about their work.
Deadline for submissions to ROPES 2018 is 24th Dec
ROPES Literary journal is accepting submissions of prose, poetry, art and photography relation to the theme “Sparks”. ROPES is published by students of the NUI Galway MA in Literature & Publishing and all proceeds go to Jigsaw Galway. For more info please contact email@example.com and check here.
Are you a young change maker, youth leader?
Are you a young person/youth worker who is interested in International youth work?
If so, apply here for a chance to join a group of young people from all across Ireland who will attend the Yo!Fest at the European Youth Event in the European Parliament in Strasbourg, France in June 2018!
What are the biggest issues and challenges that you face?
Ireland’s UN Youth Delegates are undertaking a short survey of young people and the youth sector to get YOUR views on issues affecting young people in Ireland and how we might tackle these. Please complete their survey here. Deadline 12th January.
Undergraduate students are invited to apply for Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSIs) for European Students. During June-July 2018, the successful candidate will have the opportunity to examine Civic Engagement in the U.S, hosted by the University of South Carolina.
The Deadline for applications is 5pm on 4th January 2018
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm during term.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm during term.
Christmas Holiday Arrangements 2017
NUI Galway Christmas Holidays are from Saturday 16th December 2017 to Sunday 14th of January 2018 (inclusive)
Semester 2 Teaching starts on Monday 15th of January 2018. Academic Dates for the rest of 2017/18 are available HERE.
- The Students’ Union Office will close at 4.00pm on Thurs 21st Dec and reopen at 10am Mon 8th Jan. Reduced opening hours Mon 18th Dec – Thurs 21st Dec 10am-12.30pm & 2pm-4.30pm.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will close at 3pm on Fri 15th of Dec and reopen at 11am on Mon 15th of Jan.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 15th of Dec and reopen at 9am on Thurs 18th of Jan.
- The Students’ Union Shop will close on Thurs 21st Dec and reopen Wed 3rd Jan 8am-5pm.
- Sult will close at 12pm on Weds 20th Dec and will reopen at 8.30am on Mon 8th Jan.
- Caifé na Gaeilge will close on Fri 15th Dec and will reopen on Mon 15th Jan.
- Smokey’s Café will close on Thurs 21st Dec and reopen Wed 3rd Jan 8.30am-5pm.
- The Wall Café will be 9am to 3pm over the Christmas period except closed 23rd to 26th Dec inclusive & closed 30th Dec to 1st Jan inclusive.
- The James Hardiman Library will have reduced hours Fri 15th Dec to Fri 22nd of Dec 08:30-17:30 Mon-Fri. Closed Sat/Sun. The Library will be closed Sat 23rd Dec to Tues 2nd Jan inclusive. Weds 3rd Jan- Sun 14th Jan reduced hours: Mon-Fri 08:30-17:30 Sat/Sun Closed.
- The Reading Room will only be closed on Mon 25th and Tues 26th of December.
- The Student Health Unit will close on Weds 20th Dec and will reopen on Mon 8th Jan.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with a new issue on Tues 23rd of Jan.
- Flirt FM will be off air from 10th December to Mon 15th Jan.
- The Socs Box will close on Fri 22nd Dec and will reopen on Mon 8th Jan.
- The Academic Writing Centre will close on Fri 1st of Dec and will reopen in Jan 2018.
- SUMS will be closed from Mon 11th of Dec and will reopen on Mon 29th of Jan.
- For details about Computer Suite Access over the holidays check HERE
Beannachtaí na Nollag agus Athbhliain faoi mhaise.
We hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
See you all in 2018!