SU Weekly Email 16 – 14th December 2016Weekly Email
Welcome to your last weekly email of 2016 from your Students’ Union.
Christmas Holiday Arrangements
NUI Galway Christmas Holidays are from Saturday 17th December 2016 to Sunday 8th of January 2017 (inclusive)
Semester 2 Teaching starts on Monday 9th of January 2017. Academic Dates for the rest of 2016/17 are available here.
- The Students’ Union Officewill close on Thurs 22nd of Dec and reopen at 10am Mon 9th of Jan 2017.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Deskwill close at 3pm on Fri 16th of Dec and reopen at 11am on Mon 9th of Jan 2017.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroomwill close at 5pm on Fri 16th of Dec and reopen at 9am on Fri 13th of Jan 2017.
- The Students’ Union Shopwill close on Weds 21st of Dec and reopen at 8am on Weds 4th of Jan 2017.
- Sultwill close on Weds 21st of Dec and reopen on Weds 4th of Jan 2017.
- Caifé na Gaeilgewill close on Fri 16th of Dec and will reopen at 9am on Mon 9th of Jan 2017.
- Smokey’s Caféwill close on Weds 21st of Dec and will reopen at 8.30am on Weds 4th of Jan.
- The Wall Caféwill be open 9am-3pm Mon 19th Dec-Fri 23rd Dec. Closed 24th, 25th & 26th Dec. Open 9am-3pm Tues 27th to Fri 30th Dec. Closed 31st Dec & 1st Jan. Open 9am-3pm Mon 2nd Jan-Sun 8th Jan 2017.
- The James Hardiman Library will have reduced hours Fri 16th Dec to Thurs 22nd of Dec 08:30-17:30 Mon-Fri. Closed Sat/Sun. The Library will be closed Fri 23rd of Dec to Mon 2nd of Jan inclusive.
- The Reading Roomwill only be closed on Sun 25th and Mon 26th of December.
- The Student Health Unit will close on Tues 20th of Dec and will reopen on Thurs 5th of Jan 2017.
- Sin Newspaperwill be back with a new issue on Tues 10th of Jan 2017.
- Flirt FMwill be off air from Sat 10th Dec to Sun 8th of Jan inclusive.
- The Socs Boxwill close on Thurs 22nd of Dec and will reopen on Thurs 5th of Jan 2017.
- The Academic Writing Centrewill close on Fri 2nd of Dec and will reopen in Jan 2017.
- SUMSwill be closed from Mon 12th of Dec and will reopen on Mon 23rd of Jan 2017.
ASIST Course Now Enrolling
We are now enrolling students on our next Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training Course (ASIST) which will take place on Thursday 9th and Friday 10th of February. The course is free but you need to pay a €10 refundable deposit to book your space. You can sign up in the Students’ Union office now. Please note there are only 20 spaces available on the course which always books up fast. More Information.
Financial Aid Fund Applications Semester 2
Please note that applications open online on Monday 16th of January for the semester 2 Financial Aid Fund. Applications close at 12noon on Monday 30th of January. More information here.
We will be holding a by-election to fill the recently vacated part-time officer post of SU Postgraduate Officer.
- Nominations Open: 10am Thursday 12th of January. Nomination forms will be available from the SU & SU website
- Nominations Close: 5pm Wednesday 18th of January. Completed nomination forms must be returned to the box in the SU Office.
- Election Day: 11am-3pm Thursday 26th of January. Please note only registered Postgrad students may vote in this election but all students can run for this position.
If you are interested in running for this position please contact Jimmy on email@example.com for more information.
Student Leap Card Expiry
If you have one of the red Student Leap Cards this will expire on the 31st of December 2016. You can get a new card in the Students’ Union Office for just €10 now and this will be valid until the 31st of December 2017.
Rover Soc’s Help the Homeless Christmas Collection TOMORROW
Rover Soc is organising a Christmas collection tomorrow Thursday 15th of December where they drive by the various student residences to collect any items that you think you will no longer use or which you cannot bring home with you. More Information.
Registration is now open for our next 8 week yoga course which starts in January.
- Beginners/Improvers 6pm-7.30pm Thurs 19th Jan-Thurs 9th March 2017
- Intermediate 7.30pm-9pm Thurs 19th Jan-Thurs 9th March 2017
Cost: €40 Pay in the SU Office or by Credit Card on 091 524810
Dates for your Diary
|Mon 9th Jan||Teaching Begins|
|Tues 10th Jan||Clubs Day 2|
|Weds 11th Jan||Socs Day 2|
|Mon 16th Jan||SU Council|
|Mon 16th Jan||Financial Aid Fund Applications Open|
|Weds 25th Jan||SU Working & Traveling Abroad Fair|
|Thurs 26th Jan||Postgrad Officer By-Election|
|Mon 30th Jan||Financial Aid Fund Applications Close 12 noon|
|Tues 31st Jan||Deadline balance Fee Payment to avoid penalties|
|Sat 4th Feb||SU Annual Charity Collection|
|Mon 6th Feb – Fri 10th Feb||SU SHAG Week II|
|Mon 6th Feb||SU Council|
|Thurs 16th Feb||SU Full Time Election Nominations OPEN|
|Sat 18th Feb||SU Charity Croagh Patrick Climb|
|Thurs 23rd Feb||SU Part Time Nominations OPEN|
|Mon 27th Feb||SU Council & Chair Election|
|Thurs 2nd March||SU Full Time Officer Elections|
|Thurs 9th March||SU Part Time Officer Elections|
|Fri 17th March||St. Patrick’s Day Bank Holiday|
|Sat 1st April||Teaching Ends|
|Mon 3rd April-Sat 8th April||Study Week|
|Mon 10th April – Sat 15th April||Field Trips|
|Mon 17th April – Sat 22nd April||Easter Holidays|
|Mon 24th April||Exams Begin|
|Weds 10th May||Exams End|
Santa may be getting you a car this Christmas and if so you may need to park on campus. More information about parking on campus can be found here. Any inquiries into parking or further questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Can You Braid Hair?
We are looking for some hair braiders to volunteer for a fundraising event we are holding in February for the SU Charities. Volunteers must know how to add extensions/attachments to braids. Email email@example.com if you can help out.
NEW Library Study Break Policy
In response to feedback received from users about the 30 Minute Rule, and in an effort to reduce the instances of desk hogging, the Library is introducing a new ‘Study Break Policy’ for the monitoring and managing of study space during peak times in the Library. The policy will apply during the following periods: 01 November – 16 December 2016 and 03 April – 10 May 2017. See https://library.nuigalway.ie/usingthelibrary/studyspace/
Pieta House Festive Fives Saturday 31st December
Five-a-side Indoor Soccer Tournament to raise funds for Pieta House. Tournament will take place in Árus Bóthar na Trá Sports Club, Salthill, Galway Saturday 31st of December from 12pm – 8pm. One healthy day during the Christmas break won’t hurt, so, drag yourself away from your cosy fireside and get active for a great cause! Men and women welcome, all ages, all abilities – places limited, so sign up early!
Our Exam Buses run until Friday evening: Leaving University Road (Bus stop between Ward’s and Tesco Express) 08:40 & 15:40 and Leaving Salthill (Leisureland) 11:40 & 18:40
It’s €2 per journey – look out for the red City Direct double decker bus.
Semester 1 Exam PROVISIONAL Results will be published on Blackboard throughout January. Please check with your School/Discipline for exact release dates. These results will remain provisional until approved by the exam board.
Extra Study Space
The following rooms will be available for extra study space 8am-10pm until Friday 16th December
- Thomas Dillon Theatre
- Tyndall Theatre
- O’Flaherty Theatre
- Larmor Theatre
Applications now open for The Hardiman and Dr Tony Ryan PhD Scholarships which are fully funded for four years, with a stipend of €16,000 p.a. plus fees.
These scholarships are for students starting their PhD in September 2017. Application deadline 17th February 2017.
Cloakroom open TOMORROW
The SU FREE Cloakroom will be open on Fridays 9am-5pm during term time. The service is still free but will only be one day per week. Items must be removed at 5pm and we can’t take laptops. The SU Cloakroom is located in the library basement beside the Students’ Union XL Shop.
Need Books? Or Want to Sell Books?
Our office is upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.
Beannachtaí na Nollag agus Athbhliain faoi mhaise.
We hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
See you all in 2017!