SU Weekly Email 16 – 12th December 2019Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Looking for Christmas Gift Ideas?
- €5 Neil Delamere Tickets + all funds go to the SU Charities
- €9 Big Yellow Thing socks + all funds go to the SU Charities
- Second-hand books + you’re recycling
- Clubs’ Ball Early Bird Tickets + grab a bargain for the party of the year
Non-Stop Direct Service to Salthill Exam Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel) Mon 9th Dec – Thurs 19th Dec 2019. Please note this is a cash only service with no change given.
- Leaving University Road (Bus Stop Near Ward’s) 08:40 & 15:40
- Leaving Salthill (Leisureland) 11:40 & 18:40
Are you motivated and passionate about active student voice and meaningful engagement between students and staff?
The National Student Engagement Programme is looking for two academic staff, two professional/support staff, and four students to join the National Advisory Group for Student Engagement. Applications close 5pm TOMORROW Fri 13th Dec. More info here
Join the NUI Galway Sports Clubs for a massive night to round off the NUIG year! The 2020 Clubs’ Ball will take place from 7pm on Tuesday 24th of March in The Galway Bay Hotel in Salthill. Limited number of Early Bird Tickets on sale now for just €32.50! Get yours now before the price goes up to €40. Ticket includes: Red Carpet Entrance, Drinks Reception, 3 Course Dinner, DJ, Band, Day 2 entry to Electric and lots more surprises to be announced! Over 18’s event – ID required.
We are now enrolling for our next 10 Week Sign Language courses which are just €40. Options are:
- Course A: 12pm-1pm Tues 28th Jan – Tues 31st March
- Course B: 1pm-2pm Tues 28th Jan – Tues 31st March
- Course C: 6pm-7pm Weds 29th Jan – Weds 1st April
- Course D: 6pm-7pm Thurs 30th Jan – Thurs 2nd April
You can sign up in the SU Office or call 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card.
Extended Library Opening Hours Mon 25th Nov-Sun 15th Dec
- Monday-Friday 08:30-22:00
- Saturday 08:30-21:00
- Sunday 10:00-21:00
- Beginners/Improvers: 6pm-7.30pm Thurs 16th Jan-Thurs 5th March 2020
- Intermediate: 7.30pm-9pm Thurs 16th Jan -Thurs 5th March 2020
Cost: €40 Pay in the SU Office or by Debit/Credit Card on 091 493 570.
I am conducting an anonymous survey on the usability of Two-Factor Authentication. Two-Factor Authentication/Multi-Factor Authentication is a second method, in addition to a user entering a password, that is used to gain access into an account. It is used as an additional layer of security. From this survey I hope to gather and evaluate the results so I can gain further understanding into what Two-Factor Authentication methods are the most and least usable and why. There will be no personal data kept in this survey and it only takes 5 minutes. Complete the survey here.
CÚRAM Green Labs
CÚRAM, the SFI Research Centre for Medical Devices based at NUI Galway has launched a new short video documentary ‘The time to green our labs is now’ as part of the Galway Green Labs initiative which recently led to the CÚRAM lab being the first in Europe to be awarded Green Lab Certification. Watch it here
There’s a first place cash prize of €10,000 to be won plus the opportunity to avail of €30,000 worth of specialist advice and assistance to potentially help turn your enterprise idea into a business reality. The first stage is to produce a two minute video about your business idea by 5pm Fri 13th March 2020.
NUIG Students’ Union presents Neil Delamere: End of Watch at 8pm on Mon 27th of Jan 2020 in the O’Flaherty Theatre NUIG. Tickets €5. All proceeds go to the SU Charities. BUY TICKETS HERE.
Unique Opportunity to Study Civic Engagement in the USA this Summer!
Applications now open to Undergraduate Students in Ireland. Details Here. Application deadline is 6th Jan 2020. To get help with your application and advice email: email@example.com
The following spaces are available 8am-10pm until Fri 20th Dec
- IT125 First Floor, IT Building
- IT203 Seminar Room, IT Building
- SC005 Tyndall Theatre, Arts/Science Building
- TB303 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB304 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB305 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB307 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- SC002 Larmor Theatre, Arts/Science Building
- AM150 Mairtin O’Tnuthail Theatre, Arts Millennium Building (
FREE Introduction to Meditation class 2pm-3pm this Sat 14th Dec at OLBC Hall, 11 Ely Place, Sea Road. This event is free of charge and open to everybody.
You can find details of your SU Officer Reports, minutes from the SU Officer meetings and your Class Rep Council meetings HERE. If you’ve any questions/comments just give us a shout!
We are now selling our Big Yellow Thing Socks for just €9 a pair. All proceeds go to the SU Charities! On sale now in the SU Office, the SU Shop and on our website here.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Mon-Fri 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Mon–Fri 11am-3pm.