SU Weekly Email 15 – 5th Dec 2019Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
- 12pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge at Smokey’s Café – limited number left!
- 3pm-4.30pm Colouring! Take a break and drop in to the Art Room and Hub Central for some colouring in + sweets!
- Check, double check and triple check your timetable NOW! Every year we have students who read their timetable wrong and end up missing an exam – don’t be that guy!
- Find your College ID and bring it with you to every exam. If you have lost it call to the Student Registry Helpdesk to get a new one for €20. You will be fined €30 if you don’t have your ID with you.
- Plan how you are getting to the exams NOW and set all your alarms. You need to be there 20 minutes prior to the start of the examination. City Direct are running a direct bus each day to the Salthill exam venues and it’s €2 per journey.
- Leave your phone at home – it’s a €20 fine for bringing your phone to the exam AND other penalties can include mark reduction and getting zero marks for the module.
- WASH! If you even have your shopping list written on your hand scrub it off. If you have any writing on your body, no matter how unrelated to the exam, you’ll fail the exam.
- Follow the directions of the Exam Invigilators at all times.
- If you need advice on deferring your exams please contact the SU Education Officer or your College Office.
- You can’t bring in pencil cases, glasses cases or calculator covers to the exam.
- You can’t leave the Exam Venue for the first hour or the last 30 mins of the exam
- Relax – you got this!
Non-Stop Direct Service to Salthill Exam Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel) Mon 9th Dec – Thurs 19th Dec 2019
- Leaving University Road (Bus Stop Near Ward’s) 08:40 & 15:40
- Leaving Salthill (Leisureland) 11:40 & 18:40
Reminder to those travelling
- Irish Rail and some bus companies will not accept the NUI Galway student card as there is no expiration date on the card. The only option at the moment to confirm that you are a current registered student is to have a Student Leap Card along with your student ID. You can get this from the SU Office
- Please note that the PINK Student Leap Cards will expire on the 31st of December 2019. If you are planning on travelling over the Christmas make sure to renew your card. The SU Office will be closing Fri 20th Dec until Tues 7th Jan. More info
We are now enrolling for our next 10 Week Sign Language courses which are just €40. Options are:
- Course A: 12pm-1pm Tues 28th Jan – Tues 31st March
- Course B: 1pm-2pm Tues 28th Jan – Tues 31st March
- Course C: 6pm-7pm Weds 29th Jan – Weds 1st April
- Course D: 6pm-7pm Thurs 30th Jan – Thurs 2nd April
You can sign up in the SU Office or call 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card.
Extended Library Opening Hours Mon 25th Nov-Sun 15th Dec
- Monday-Friday 08:30-22:00
- Saturday 08:30-21:00
- Sunday 10:00-21:00
The Hardiman PhD Scholarships are fully funded for four years, with a stipend of €16,000 p.a. plus fees. The Scholarships offer opportunities for suitably qualified individuals to pursue a Structured PhD focused on the five key areas of research in which the University offers leading expertise. Closing date 14/2/20. More Info.
Volunteer to support donation logistics of international visiting students to COPE Galway on the 22nd of December. More details here.
NUIG Students’ Union presents Neil Delamere: End of Watch at 8pm on Mon 27th of Jan 2020 in the O’Flaherty Theatre NUIG. Tickets €5. All proceeds go to the SU Charities. BUY TICKETS HERE.
Unique Opportunity to Study Civic Engagement in the USA this Summer!
Applications now open to Undergraduate Students in Ireland. Details Here. Application deadline is 6th Jan 2020. To get help with your application and advice email: email@example.com
The following spaces are available 8am-10pm Mon 2nd Dec – Fri 20th Dec
- IT125 First Floor, IT Building
- IT203 Seminar Room, IT Building
- SC005 Tyndall Theatre, Arts/Science Building
- TB303 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB304 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB305 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB307 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- SC002 Larmor Theatre, Arts/Science Building
- AM150 Mairtin O’Tnuthail Theatre, Arts Millennium Building (from Fri 6th)
We are now selling our Big Yellow Thing Socks for just €9 a pair. All proceeds go to the SU Charities! On sale now in the SU Office, the SU Shop and on our website here.
Nominations Open for Galway Gardaí Divisional Youth Awards.
Do you know a young person aged 13-21 whose undocumented good will has made a difference in their community, in their school or elsewhere? Galway Gardaí what to celebrate the achievements of these young people. Nominate an individual or group for an award. Nomination forms are available from your local Garda Station, the Garda Siochána Western Region Facebook page and the SU Office. Closing date for entries is Fri 20th Dec 2019.
The Galway Bay Brewery Running Club is the only free running club that gives you a free beer for your efforts! Join them this Sunday at 12.30pm for their monthly 5/10k run.
Applications are open for the Schneider Electric Go Green 2020 Competition until 31st Jan. This is a global competition for university students who are studying a Bachelor’s degree (at least 2nd year) or Master’s in Engineering, Business, Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics or other Sciences. This competition looks for an innovative sustainable idea which could help benefit industry. This can be in Sustainability & Access to Energy; Buildings of the Future; Plants of the Future or Grids of the Future. More Info.
If there’s something you want to highlight, or if you want to ask about something, it’s simple! Just get in touch with the Students’ Union by using #TellTheSU Maybe you want to get something off your chest or complain about something on campus. Is there something that you think needs to be sorted? Then #TellTheSU
You can find us on social media or fill in a comment card at our #TellTheSU Boxes around campus.
FREE Introduction to Meditation class 2pm-3pm this Sat 7th Dec at OLBC Hall, 11 Ely Place, Sea Road. This event is free of charge and open to everybody.
You can find details of your SU Officer Reports, minutes from the SU Officer meetings and your Class Rep Council meetings HERE. If you’ve any questions/comments just give us a shout!
- Don’t isolate yourself
Exam time can be very lonely as people go off studying on their own. Try to make a conscious effort to meet up with friends, or plan something nice at the end of a day of study with others. Socialising with others is crucial around this time. Cutting yourself off from the world is not a good idea.
- Don’t be a hero
Surviving on 2 hours sleep and 7 cans of red bull is not the way the human body was meant to function. Schedule in some sanity breaks and exercise during your day – a 30 minute walk can work wonders.
- Eat regularly
You don’t have to eat like a nutritionist, but eating three meals a day and getting in some healthy snacks will keep you on track. Food fuels your body, so if you’re constantly eating junk you won’t feel great.
- Sleep regularly
Many people completely change their sleep patterns during exam time. If you can, try to fit in 7-8 hours’ sleep and follow a routine. It will help you when exams start.
- Stay hydrated
Water is your friend!
- Talk to friends and look out for each other
You might notice some friends or classmates struggling at this time. Maybe they need to be pointed in the direction of one of the support services listed below.
- Ask for help if you need it
• Student Health Unit
• NUIG Counselling Service
• SU Education Officer
• SU Welfare & Equality Officer
You can find more tips to help you with Exams here
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Mon-Fri 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Mon–Fri 11am-3pm.