SU Weekly Email 15 – 20th December 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your last weekly email of 2018 from your Students’ Union.
What Will You Do in 2019?
*Learn Sign Language
SU Sign Language 10 Week course starts 29th January
*Have the Best Summer Ever
SU Working & Travelling Abroad Fair Wednesday 23rd January
*Raise Money For Charity
SU Charity Collection Day Saturday 2nd February for Galway Rape Crisis Centre/COPE Galway
*Run For Election
SU Election Nominations open Thursday 14th February
*Learn To Save Lives
SU Life Skills First Aid Responder Course/CFR Course/ASIST
Contact email@example.com for more information
The SU Clothes Bank Is Open Today
Take the clothes you need at our pop up display 12pm-4pm TODAY Thurs 20th & Fri 21st Dec in The Large Acoustic Room. More info from firstname.lastname@example.org
Away From Home This Christmas?
The Chaplaincy Centre will be open and is hosting FREE dinners on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day at 1pm. All students are welcome. Their facility will also be open 8am-11pm Saturday 22nd December to Sunday 13th of January and includes Student Common Room, Kitchen, Study Room and the College Chapel.
National Be Safe Be Seen Day TOMORROW
‘National Be Safe Be Seen Day’, is being held on the shortest and darkest day of the year, tomorrow Friday 21st December, 2018. FREE high visibility vests are available now from the SU Office and the SU Engineering Desk while stocks last. ‘Be Safe, Be Seen Day’ reminds all road users of the importance of wearing high visibility material when out walking, cycling or motorcycling throughout the year, but especially on the shortest day of the year and during the winter months.
You can register in the SU Office upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn or phone 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card. Please note the SU Office will close on Friday 21st of December for the Christmas break and will reopen on Monday 7th of January 2019.
- Anti-Racism Workshop €5 Wednesday 16th January
- Manual Handling Training €30 Wednesday 9th January
- Cardiac First Responder Course €40 Friday 1st February
- Disclosure Training €10 Tuesday 12th February
- First Aid Responder Course €100 Friday 8th, Friday 15th & Friday 22nd February
- Sign Language €40 Four x 10 Week Courses starting week of 29th January
Christmas Gift Collection for those living in Direct Provision in Galway
Drop-off deadline: 1pm TOMORROW Friday, 21 December. Drop-off point: Parking and Travel Office, Room 103a, Arts Millennium Building
Please help make the season special for children and adults in Direct Provision in Galway. Gifts can be dropped off to the Parking and Travel Office on or before Friday 21 December 1pm.
Email: email@example.com for more information. Suggested gifts: Kids: soft toys, clothes, books, puzzles, arts/craft supplies, sports equipment, musical instruments, blocks/lego, etc. Adults: outerwear (hats, gloves, scarves), sports equipment, books, cosmetics/toiletries, chocolates/sweets, small electronic devices, art/craft supplies, gift vouchers, etc.
Call for Volunteers
COPE Galway need volunteers who can help for an hour (or more) on Christmas Day between 10am-2pm at their Christmas Day Swim fundraiser. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
Are You A Mature Student?
Sign Up here.
The Year Ahead 2019
|Thurs 10th & Fri 11th Jan||International Student Orientation|
|Mon 14th Jan||Teaching Begins|
|Mon 21st Jan||SU Council|
|Tues 22nd Jan||Societies Day|
|Weds 23rd Jan||SU Working & Traveling Abroad Fair|
|Weds 23rd Jan||Clubs Day|
|Weds 23rd Jan||Commerce Ball|
|Mon 28th Jan||SU Charity Comedy David O’Doherty|
|Tues 29th Jan||SU Vintage Clothes Fair|
|Weds 30th Jan||Engineering & Nursing Ball|
|Thurs 31st Jan||Deadline for Fees Payment Semester 2|
|Sat 2nd Feb||SU Charity Collection Day|
|Weds 6th Feb||Arts Ball|
|Mon 11th – Fri 15th Feb||SU SHAG Week|
|Mon 11th Feb||SU Council|
|Mon 18th Feb||SU Comedy Neil Delamere|
|Thurs 14th Feb||SU Full Time Election Nominations OPEN|
|Thurs 21st Feb||SU Part Time Nominations OPEN|
|Mon 4th March||SU Council & SU Council Chair Election|
|Thurs 7th March||SU Full Time Officer Elections|
|Thurs 14th March||SU Part Time Officer Elections|
|Mon 18th March||St. Patrick’s Day Bank Holiday|
|Sat 6th April||Teaching Ends|
|Mon 8th – Weds 10th April||Field Trips|
|Friday 19th April||Good Friday|
|Mon 22nd April||Easter Bank Holiday|
|Thurs 11th – Thurs 18th April||Study Week|
|Tues 23rd April||Exams Begin|
|Mon 6th May||May Bank Holiday|
|Fri 10th May||Exams End|
Student Leap Cards Expiring
Don’t get a nasty fine over the Christmas – check the expiry date on your Student Leap Card now. If it’s expiring apply online now for your new one and call in to the SU Office with your code so we can print your new one. The SU Office is closing for the Christmas break Fri 21st Dec to Mon 7th Jan. You can now also top up your Leap Card in the SU office – put credit on your card or add a monthly or weekly student bus ticket and we don’t charge commission!
Class Reps Meetings in January
|Mon 21st Jan||6pm – 8pm||O’Flaherty Theatre||Arts Concourse||SU Council|
|Weds 23rd Jan||6pm – 7pm||ENG2003 Lecture Room 2||Engineering Building||Engineering Council|
|Thurs 24th Jan||6pm – 7pm||MY124 Classroom 1||Áras Moyola||Health Sciences Council|
|Mon 28th Jan||2pm-3pm||Students’ Union Exec Office||Áras na Mac Léinn||Postgrad Council|
|Mon 28th Jan||6pm – 7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Science Council|
|Tues 29th Jan||6pm – 7pm||AC204||Arts Concourse||Arts Council|
|Tues 29th Jan||6pm – 7pm||AC203||Arts Concourse||Law/Commerce Council|
Don’t forget to collect your FREE Class Rep hoodie from the SU Office before we close for Christmas. Please contact email@example.com with any Class Rep queries.
10 week basic Sign Language Course just €40 – sign up now in the SU Office or phone 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card.
- Course A: 12pm-1pm Tuesday 29th Jan – Tuesday 2nd April 2019
- Course B: 1pm-2pm Tuesday 29th Jan – Tuesday 2nd April 2019
- Course C: 6pm-7pm Wednesday 30th Jan – Wednesday 3rd April 2019 COURSE FULL
- Course D: 6pm-7pm Thursday 31st Jan – Thursday 4th April 2019
The NUI Galway Working and Travelling Abroad Fair 2019 will help you to plan the best summer ever! The Fair will take place 12pm-3pm on Wednesday 23rd January 2019 in Áras na Mac Léinn. Exhibitors include: J1 Visa companies, travel companies, volunteering/adventure companies, internships/training companies and there will be delicious food stalls to fill your belly as you plan your summer!
Volunteer with us in 2019!
We are looking for more volunteers to help us raise funds for Galway Rape Crisis Centre and COPE Galway. Here’s the events we have planned and we need as much help as possible so email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
- SU Charity Comedy Gig with David O’Doherty Monday 28th January
- SU Annual Charity Collection Day Saturday 2nd February
All volunteers who help out can include time spent volunteering in their ALIVE Student Volunteer Certificate Application.
The Examinations Office releases official examination results only and is not involved in the release of any provisional results. Provisional results may be released locally by Schools/Colleges via Blackboard Grade Centre. Students are advised to check Blackboard for information about provisional result release dates in the first instance or contact your College/School Office
Christmas Day Charity Fundraisers in Galway
- 10am-1pm The GOAL Mile takes place at the running track in Dangan
- 10am-2pm COPE Galway Christmas Day Swim takes place at Blackrock in Salthill
The Lamp is an international literary journal dedicated to showcasing the creative writing of graduate and professional students. If you write poetry, short fiction, scripts, creative nonfiction, or any other form of textual art, please submit your work to The Lamp at email@example.com
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.
Christmas Holiday Arrangements 2018
NUI Galway Christmas Holidays are from Saturday 22nd December 2018 to Sunday 13th of January 2019 (inclusive)
Semester 2 Teaching starts on Monday 14th of January 2019. Academic Dates for the rest of 2018/19 are available HERE.
- The Students’ Union Office will close on Fri 21st Dec and reopen at 10am Mon 7th Jan.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will close at 3pm on Fri 21st of Dec and reopen at 11am on Mon 14th of Jan.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 21st of Dec and reopen at 9am on Thurs 17th of Jan.
- The Students’ Union Shop will close on Fri 21st Dec and reopen Mon 7th Jan.
- Sult will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen at 8.30am on Mon 7th Jan.
- Caifé na Gaeilge will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen on Mon 14th Jan.
- Smokey’s Café will close on Fri 21st Dec and reopen Mon 7th Jan.
- The Wall Café will be closed on Fri 21st Dec and will be open with reduced hours on the following days Thurs 27th Dec, Fri 28th Dec, Weds 2nd Jan, Thurs 3rd Jan, Fri 4th Jan & Mon 7th Jan.
- The James Hardiman Library will be closed Sat 22nd Dec to Tues 1st Jan inclusive.
- The Reading Room will be closed on Tues 25th and Weds 26th of Dec.
- The Student Health Unit will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen on Mon 7th Jan.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with a new issue on Tues 15th of Jan.
- The Socs Box will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen on Mon 7th Jan.
- SUMS will be closed from Fri 14th of Dec.
- For details about Computer Suite Access over the holidays check HERE
Beannachtaí na Nollag agus Athbhliain faoi mhaise.
We hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
See you all in 2019!