SU Weekly Email 14 – 1st December 2016Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
- Check, double check and triple check your timetable NOW! Every year we have students who read their timetable wrong and end up missing an exam – don’t be that guy!
2. Find your College ID and bring it with you to every exam. If you have lost it call to the Student Information Desk to get a new one for €20. You will be fined €30 if you don’t have your ID with you.
3. Plan how you are getting to the exams NOW and set all your alarms. You need to be there 20 minutes prior to the start of the examination so that’s: 09:10 for a 09:30 exam, 12:40 for a 13:00 exam and 16:10 for a 16:30 exam. We have buses organised with City Direct for the Salthill exam venues.
4. Leave your phone at home – it’s a €20 fine for bringing your phone to the exam AND other penalties can include mark reduction and getting zero marks for the module.
5. WASH! If you even have your shopping list written on your hand scrub it off. If you have any writing on your body, no matter how unrelated to the exam, you’ll fail the exam and have to repeat.
6. Follow the directions of the Exam Invigilators at all times.
7. If you need advice on deferring your exams please contact the SU Education Officer, Cathal Sherlock or your College Office.
8. You can’t bring in pencil cases, glasses cases or calculator covers to the exam.
9. You can’t leave the Exam Venue for the first hour or the last 30 mins of the exam
10. Relax – you got this!
If you have exams in the Salthill Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel) we have arranged a bus service to Salthill each day of the exams for just €2 per journey. Buses leave the bus stop on University Road (near Wards).
We Need You to Take Action and Send a Letter to your TD TODAY!
At the link below you can send a letter to your TD online saying NO to €20,000+ student debts. There are also options for parents, grandparents, graduates, teachers and just generally everyone to send a letter today and say that Education is a public good which should be publicly funded. Student fees will leave many unable to access education or with a huge burden of debt at the end of their time in College. Please share this link with everyone you know – it only takes a minute to fill out.
Extra Study Space
The following rooms will be available for extra study space 8am-10pm:
Monday 28th November-Friday 16th December
- Thomas Dillon Theatre
- Tyndall Theatre
- O’Flaherty Theatre
- Larmor Theatre
Monday 28th November-Sunday 4th December
Registration is now open for our next 8 week yoga course which starts in January.
- Beginners/Improvers 6pm-7.30pm Thurs 19th Jan-Thurs 9th March 2017
- Intermediate 7.30pm-9pm Thurs 19th Jan-Thurs 9th March 2017
Cost: €40 Pay in the SU Office or by Credit Card on 091 524810
Massive thank you to everyone that supported our Charity Cake Sale and Pet Farm Visit yesterday. We raised another €530 for the SU Charities bringing us up to €12,169 raised so far this semester for RNLI and Threshold Ireland. You can still enter our Pet Farm Selfie competition via the SU Facebook page and we have Electric and FourFour wristbands up for grabs. We’ve loads more fundraising events planned for semester two so give us a shout on email@example.com if you want to get involved.
#MondayMassage now also on Thursdays!
#MondayMassage offers treatments at an affordable rate to NUI Galway staff and students. Choose from acupuncture, massage, physical therapy and shiatsu. Student rate 30 min €20, 1 hour €30/Staff rate 30 min €30, 1 hour €50. Every Monday in the Wellness room in The Hub. During the exams there will also be massages available on Thursday 1st, Thursday 8th and Thursday 15th of December. Call or txt Mick on 0868378589 to book www.aTensionSeeker.ie
Five of the twenty General Access PC Suites will be closed from 2nd to 16th December as they are being used for exams. These are: 3 PC Suites in Engineering building, IT106 and the Finnegan PC Suite. ISS will have signage on doors to direct students to other available PC suites nearby.
NUIG Student Connacht Rugby Tickets on sale in SU & SU Engineering Desk now for:
- Connacht vs Benetton Treviso 15:00 Saturday 3rd Dec €15
- Connacht vs Wasps 17:30 Saturday 17th Dec €20
- Connacht vs Munster 17:30 Saturday 31st Dec €20
All tickets are for Bohermore Terrace. Student ID required.
Need Books? Or Want to Sell Books?
Free High Vis
We have a limited amount of free high vis vests, running tops, armbands and bike lights available in the SU Office now. Just call up and collect what you need while stocks last!
Syrias Vibes is a not for profit campaign funding emergency rescue services in Syria by organising gigs and parties across the country and giving people a chance to reach out and get involved. This Friday they will have a fundraising night in Electric featuring some amazing DJs including The Disconauts, Shake!, Gigantic, 110th Street, Epoch, Graham Dolan, Anthony Collins, Ger Z, Bap to the Future, and Calvin James.
AIDS West World AIDS Day Memorial Concert – 7pm TONIGHT
This is an open invitation to the people of Galway to come to this free concert on at 7pm on Thursday 1st of December and show their solidarity with those living with HIV and help challenge the stigma and discrimination associated with HIV. The concert takes place in St Nicholas’ Collegiate Church, Galway with music from Bel Canto and Cois Cladaigh.
7th-10th December a four day festival of music, discussions, workshops, film, comedy and more.
The Sin Weekly Meetings take place 6pm-7pm every Monday in AC213 and all are welcome. To get involved go to the meeting or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Give Blood Tonight
- 5pm-8.30pm Thurs 1st Dec at The Menlo Park Hotel, Terryland, Galway
With Writing – The Academic Writing Centre
With Maths – SUMS
With Computer Programming – Computer DISC
With Anything – The SU Grinds Register
1st/2nd Year Textbooks Appeal for Refugees in Greece: Deadline Fri 9th Dec
Despite potential, refugees awaiting relocation in Greece face a great disadvantage in accessing university-level studies. Even independent learning is blocked with limited or no internet access in the camps. Please donate your used 1st or 2nd year textbooks and give these ambitious, deserving students the opportunity to continue learning. Donations can be dropped off at the Students’ Union office. They are in desperate need of maths, science and engineering texts.
For more information contact: Diana.Delbecchi@gmail.com
Deadline to Donate: Friday 9th December 2016
Cloakroom open TOMORROW
The SU FREE Cloakroom will be open on Fridays 9am-5pm during term time. The service is still free but will only be one day per week. Items must be removed at 5pm and we can’t take laptops. The SU Cloakroom is located in the library basement beside the Students’ Union XL Shop.
Bus Éireann Tickets
We sell monthly and weekly student tickets for Bus Éireann Galway city services from the SU Office. It’s €57.50 for a monthly ticket or €17.60 for a weekly ticket. We also sell student tickets for all Bus Éireann routes.
In response to feedback received from users about the 30 Minute Rule, and in an effort to reduce the instances of desk hogging, the Library is introducing a new ‘Study Break Policy’ for the monitoring and managing of study space during peak times in the Library. The policy will apply during the following periods: 01 November – 16 December 2016 and 03 April – 10 May 2017.
NUIG Free STI Clinic – BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Please note that you must make an appointment in person in the Student Health Unit or by phoning 091 492604 before attending. The STI Clinic runs 5pm-7pm Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Mindful Meditation Practice for Semester 1 will take place every Wednesday from 1:10pm to 1:50pm in classroom AC202 on the concourse. All are welcome including staff, students, alumni, members of the local community and guests to campus.
Our office is upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.