SU Weekly Email 14 – 30th November 2017Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Here’s our top 10 tips for the exams next week
- Check, double check and triple check your timetable NOW! Every year we have students who read their timetable wrong and end up missing an exam – don’t be that guy!
- Find your College ID and bring it with you to every exam. If you have lost it call to the Student Information Desk to get a new one for €20. You will be fined €30 if you don’t have your ID with you.
- Plan how you are getting to the exams NOW and set all your alarms. You need to be there 20 minutes prior to the start of the examination so that’s: 09:10 for a 09:30 exam, 12:40 for a 13:00 exam and 16:10 for a 16:30 exam. We have buses arranged for the Salthill exam centres.
- Leave your phone at home – it’s a €20 fine for bringing your phone to the exam AND other penalties can include mark reduction and getting zero marks for the module. iWatches are also not permitted in exams.
- WASH! If you even have your shopping list written on your hand scrub it off. If you have any writing on your body, no matter how unrelated to the exam, you’ll fail the exam and have to repeat.
- Follow the directions of the Exam Invigilators at all times.
- If you need advice on deferring your exams please contact the SU Education Officer, Andrew Forde, or your College Office.
- You can’t bring in pencil cases, glasses cases or calculator covers to the exam.
- You can’t leave the Exam Venue for the first hour or the last 30 mins of the exam
- Relax – you got this!
SU 8 week Yoga course just €40
- Beginners/Improvers: 6pm-7.30pm Thurs 7th Dec 2017 – Thurs 22nd Feb 2018
- Intermediate: 7.30pm-9pm Thurs 7th Dec 2017 – Thurs 22nd Feb 2018
Pay in the SU Office or by Credit Card on 091 524810.
Extra Study Space
There will be extra study space available 08:00-22:00 Monday 27th November to Friday 15th December 2017 in the following venues:
- O’Flaherty Theatre
- Larmour Theatre
- Dillon Theatre
- McMunn Theatre
- Tyndall Theatre
Reminder: Anonymous Marking starts this semester
Christmas Exams buses with City Direct Bus Company
€2 Per Journey for Non-Stop Direct Service to Salthill Exam Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel). Monday 4th December-Thursday 14th December 2017
- Leaving University Road: 08:40 & 15:40
- Leaving Salthill (Leisureland): 11:40 & 18:40
The Examinations Office releases official examination results only and is not involved in the release of any provisional results. Provisional results may be released locally by Schools/Colleges via Blackboard Grade Centre. Students are advised to check Blackboard for information about provisional result release dates in the first instance or contact your College/School Office
Student Leap Cards Expiring
Remember the orange Student Leap Cards expire on the 31st of December so make sure you call in to get the new purple card in the SU Office before you head home for Christmas. It costs €10, we take your photo and it’s valid until 31st December 2018.
NUIG Student Connacht Rugby Tickets on Sale now
- Connacht vs Brive 3pm Saturday 16th December €20
- Connacht vs Ulster 7.35pm Saturday 23rd December €20
On sale in the SU Office and the SU Engineering Desk. NUIG Student ID Required. Tickets are for Bohermore Terrace.
Bus Éireann Monthly Tickets
We now have monthly €57 Student tickets on sale in the SU Office for December for Bus Éireann Galway city services.
Academic Writing Centre Closes Tomorrow
Today and tomorrow are your last chances to use the FREE Academic Writing Centre as they close this Friday 1st December for Christmas break.
Don’t forget to try your luck in their Twitter Competition #EditMeNuig
Extended Weekend Opening Hours in Library This Weekend
Remember if there is good uptake for this trial period then the extended weekend hours will remain for the summer exams too – so use it or lose it!
The extended opening hours will be Saturday 08.30-21.00 (normally 08.30-17.30) and Sunday 10.00-21.00 (normally 10.00-17.30) for the following weekends:
- Sat 2nd/Sun 3rd Dec;
- Sat 9th/Sun 10th Dec.
- 1pm-2pm Mon 4th Dec Performance Pieces: The God Who Hated Women & A Short History of Feminism in the Aula Maxima (Ground Floor), The Quad, NUI Galway. Light refreshments will be served at 12.30pm. Admission FREE but booking required on firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2pm-4.30pm Weds 6th Dec FREE Guided Walk on Gender Based Violence at NUI Galway as part of the 16 days of activism against gender-based violence in education campaign.
- 4pm-4:30pm Weds 6th Dec Ceremonial Lighting of the Quadrangle as part of the ‘Orange the World’ Campaign.
- 4:30pm-5:30pm Weds 6th Dec – Bake Sale (Emily Anderson Concert Hall) in aid of the Galway Rape Crisis Centre and Plan International
LAYER UP to win train tickets!
For a chance to win Iarnród Éireann Irish Rail tickets, simply put on some warm clothes (instead of the heat), take a selfie & post it on NUIG Student Switch Off Facebook page.
It’s all part of Union of Students in Ireland (USI) & NUI Galway Students’ Union energy-saving campaign
All proceeds go to Abortion Rights Campaign
World AIDS Day Candlelit Memorial Concert TOMORROW
You are invited to the annual World AIDS Day concert in St. Nicholas’ Collegiate Church at 7pm tomorrow Friday 1st December. This will feature festive music from Cois Cladaigh and Galway’s Three Sopranos Bel Canto.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.