SU Weekly Email 14 – 28th November 2019Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Mon 2nd Dec
- 8am-9am Free seated Yoga Meditation in The View. Get tickets here.
- 12.30pm-3pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge outside reading room/library
- 1pm-2pm Free seated Yoga Meditation in The View. Get tickets here.
- 6.30pm-8pm Stress Less Have More Success In Exams. Free talk in AM200 Fottrell Theatre in the Arts Millennium Building. Aidan O’Flynn, Sports Psychologist & Psychotherapist, will speak about coping with stress during exam time. Michael Day, Sports Nutritionist, will have tips on eating to perform during exams.
Tues 3rd Dec
- 8.15am-8.45am Free Mindfulness Practice in Clinical Science Institute Room 2012
- 9am-10am Free Yoga Class in The Space. Get tickets here.
- 12pm-2pm Snowflakes and Angels. Join the NUIG Knit & Crochet Group in The Space to learn to crochet/knit snowflake or angel ornaments. €5 donation to COPE Galway. Bring own yarn/hooks/needles if you have them! Includes free tea/coffee.
- 12pm-3pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge at the Engineering Building
- 1pm-2pm Learn how to Hula Hoop in the View. Free class get tickets here.
- 3pm-4.30pm Colouring! Take a break and drop in to the Art Room for some colouring in + sweets!
- 3.30pm Christmas Tree Lighting outside Áras na Mac Léinn with choir singing, hot beverages, pastries and festive cheer!
Weds 4th Dec
- 12pm-3pm Charity Cake Sale & Pet Farm at Áras na Mac Léinn
- 12pm-2pm Animal Ambassadors in Meeting Rooms 1&2 Áras na Mac Léinn. Meet their Soothing Snakes, Silly Spiders, Lovely Lizards, Mysterious Mantids and Super Snails!
- 1.15pm-1.35pm Free Mindfulness Practice in Seminar Room 5, 2nd Floor Áras Moyola
Thurs 5th Dec
- 12pm-2pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge at Smokey’s.
- 3pm-4.30pm Colouring! Take a break and drop in to the Art Room and Hub Central for some colouring in + sweets!
More information email@example.com
The following spaces are available 8am-10pm Mon 2nd Dec – Fri 20th Dec
- IT125 First Floor, IT Building
- IT203 Seminar Room, IT Building
- SC005 Tyndall Theatre, Arts/Science Building
- TB303 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB304 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB305 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- TB307 Seminar Room, Arts/Science Tower 2
- SC002 Larmor Theatre, Arts/Science Building
*AM150 Mairtin O’Tnuthail Theatre, Arts Millennium Building will be available 8am-10pm Mon 2nd-Weds 4th Dec & Fri 6th-Fri 20th Dec
USIT J1 Info Session Today
Ready to plan your summer escape? Call to the USIT stand today 11am-3pm at Smokey’s Café and their info talk 1pm-2pm in The Space.
Need Help with Wi-Fi in NUI Galway?
There will be a Student Wi-Fi Clinic 11am-1pm Tues 3rd Dec in the Library foyer. Staff from Information Solution and Services (ISS) and the Library.
Extended Library Opening Hours Mon 25th Nov-Sun 15th Dec
- Monday-Friday 08:30-22:00
- Saturday 08:30-21:00
- Sunday 10:00-21:00
#TellTheSU Good News!
Due to students getting in touch with us about classes over-running and starting/finishing at different times we were able to lobby the University on your behalf. The University President has now sent a reminder to all University teaching staff that all classes start on the hour and finish at 10 to the hour e.g. start 9am finish 9.50am.
The last swim of the Coldvember fundraiser is at 10am this Sat 30th Nov at Blackrock. If you can please join them for a swim and/or make a donation here. Funds will go towards Mental Health services at NUIG.
Free talk with industry leaders in nutrition and psychology 6.30pm Mon 2nd of Dec in AM200 the Fottrell Theatre in the Arts Millennium Building.
Galway Cycling Campaign will be handing out FREE Bike Lights from 4.30pm TODAY until they run out! They’ll be outside Wards on University Road.
The NUIG Irish Sign Language Society will have a Mythbuster Art Installation at the Library 8am Mon 2nd Dec to 6pm Tues 3rd of Dec to celebrate International Day of People with Disabilities. All welcome.
The NUI Galway Alumni Awards will be presented at the Alumni Awards Gala on Saturday, May 16th. Let us know the NUI Galway alumni who have inspired you most with their outstanding achievements and careers to date. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to nominate today!
FREE WRAP Workshop
WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) is a two-day programme that helps you to develop your own personally tailored Wellness Action Plan. You can use this plan on a day-to-day basis to manage your wellness, or to help you if you become unwell. WRAP is for those of you who want to make a positive change in the way that you feel or to increase your enjoyment in life. The workshop takes place 9.30am-5pm Mon 9th & Tues 10th Dec in the Croí building on Moyola Lane, Newcastle, Galway. Sign Up Here.
Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture want you to join the cast for their opening ceremony in February. They are looking for people to get involved in what will be one of the largest events the West has ever seen. Call down to Leisureland 1pm-4pm this Sat 30th Nov to find out more!
We are now selling our Big Yellow Thing Socks for just €9 a pair. All proceeds go to the SU Charities! On sale now in the SU Office, the SU Shop and on our website here.
We are looking for NUI Galway’s finest bakers to bake up some treats for us to sell at the SU Charity Cake Sale and Pet Farm Visit on Weds 4th Dec. The event will be raising funds for the SU Charities: AIDS West and Domestic Violence Response. To volunteer email email@example.com – even if you can’t bake we also need helpers to sell cakes, raffle tickets and charity socks on the day!
NUIG Students’ Union presents Neil Delamere: End of Watch at 8pm on Mon 27th of Jan 2020 in the O’Flaherty Theatre NUIG. Tickets €5. All proceeds go to the SU Charities. BUY TICKETS HERE.
With Maths – SUMS
With Programming – Computer DISC
With Writing – Academic Writing Centre
With Academic Skills – Academic Skills Hub
With Anything – SU Grinds Register
If there’s something you want to highlight, or if you want to ask about something, it’s simple! Just get in touch with the Students’ Union by using #TellTheSU Maybe you want to get something off your chest or complain about something on campus. Is there something that you think needs to be sorted? Then #TellTheSU
You can find us on social media or fill in a comment card at our #TellTheSU Boxes around campus.
Non-Stop Direct Service to Salthill Exam Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel) Mon 9th Dec – Thurs 19th Dec 2019
- Leaving University Road (Bus Stop Near Ward’s) 08:40 & 15:40
- Leaving Salthill (Leisureland) 11:40 & 18:40
As part of our Wind Down Week of events we will have our Charity Cake Sale & Pet Farm Visit 12pm – 3pm Weds 4th Dec at Áras na Mac Léinn. There will be llamas, goats, rabbits, sheep, chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, chicks, cake, tea, a raffle and tunes from Flirt FM. Our friends at NUIG Animal Ambassadors will also have their Soothing Snakes, Silly Spiders, Lovely Lizards, Mysterious Mantids and Super Snails!
FREE Introduction to Meditation class 2pm-3pm this Sat 30th Nov at OLBC Hall, 11 Ely Place, Sea Road. This event is free of charge and open to everybody.
You can find details of your SU Officer Reports, minutes from the SU Officer meetings and your Class Rep Council meetings HERE. If you’ve any questions/comments just give us a shout!
Limited spaces left on following Life Skills courses:
Sign up in the SU Office or call 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Mon-Fri 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Mon–Fri 11am-3pm.