SU Weekly Email 14 – 13th December 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
10 week basic Sign Language Course just €40 – sign up now in the SU Office or phone 091 493 570 to register with credit/debit card.
- Course A: 12pm-1pm Tuesday 29th Jan – Tuesday 2nd April 2019
- Course B: 1pm-2pm Tuesday 29th Jan – Tuesday 2nd April 2019
- Course C: 6pm-7pm Wednesday 30th Jan – Wednesday 3rd April 2019
- Course D: 6pm-7pm Thursday 31st Jan – Thursday 4th April 2019
The SU Clothes Bank Needs Your Donations!
- Drop the clothes you don’t need any more to the SU Office 10am-5pm Mon-Fri 10th-19th Dec
- Take the clothes you need at our pop up display 12pm-4pm Thurs 20th & Fri 21st Dec in The Large Acoustic Room.
- Any surplus clothing will be donated to charity.
More info from email@example.com
Student Leap Cards Expiring
Don’t get a nasty fine over the Christmas – check the expiry date on your Student Leap Card now. If it’s expiring apply online now for your new one and call in to the SU Office with your code so we can print your new one. The SU Office is closing for the Christmas break Fri 21st Dec to Mon 7th Jan. You can now also top up your Leap Card in the SU office – put credit on your card or add a monthly or weekly student bus ticket and we don’t charge commission!
NUI Galway Students’ Union Christmas Exam Buses
€2 Per Journey. Non-Stop Direct Service to Salthill Exam Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel) Mon 10th-Thurs 20th Dec
- Leaving University Road (Bus Stop Near Ward’s Sandwich Bar) 08:40 & 15:40
- Leaving Salthill (Leisureland) 11:40 & 18:40
Get NUIG student rate tickets for Connacht Rugby vs Sale Sharks 3pm Saturday 12th of January at the Sportsground. Use the following discount code on the Connacht website: NUIG-Sal-1819
Extra Study Space: Available 8am-10pm until Fri 21st Dec 2018
- AM150 Mairtin O Tnuthail Theatre Arts Millennium Building (147 spaces)
- IT125 Theatre First Floor, IT Building (122 spaces)
- IT125G Theatre Ground Floor, IT Building (122 spaces)
- IT207 Seminar Room, IT Building (33 spaces)
- SC005 Tyndall Lecture Theatre, Arts/Science Concourse (125 spaces)
- TB303 Seminar Room Arts/Science Tower 2 (30 spaces)
- TB304 Seminar Room Arts/Science Tower 2 (19 spaces)
- TB305 Seminar Room Arts/Science Tower 2 (19 spaces)
- TB307 Seminar Room Arts/Science Tower 2 (22 spaces)
The Library has a number of bookable group study rooms as well as a mini-studio that can be booked here.
EXTRA Extra Study Space
The Library have opened their ground floor training room for extra study space/PC’s until Friday the 21st of December.
Extended Library Opening Hours for Exams
- Saturday 15th December: 08:30 – 21:00
- Sunday 16th December: 10:00 – 21:00
5pm-8.30pm Tuesday 18th, Wednesday 19th and Thursday 20th of December in Menlo Park Hotel.
The NUI Galway Working and Travelling Abroad Fair 2019 will help you to plan the best summer ever! The Fair will take place 12pm-3pm on Wednesday 23rd January 2019 in Áras na Mac Léinn. Exhibitors include: J1 Visa companies, travel companies, volunteering/adventure companies, internships/training companies and there will be delicious food stalls to fill your belly as you plan your summer!
Are you a Postgraduate Research Student?
The Union of Students in Ireland invites Postgraduate Research Students to participate in the National Postgraduate Living and Working Conditions Survey.
This survey aims to explore the experiences of postgraduate students in Ireland, in particular in relation to income and living standards. This survey is intended to form the basis for a campaign to be rolled out by USI and SIPTU.
We want to hear from you! This survey takes approximately 5 minutes to complete and will give your National Union the data we need to advocate for improved working and living standards! The Survey is available here
Volunteer with us in 2019!
We are looking for more volunteers to help us raise funds for Galway Rape Crisis Centre and COPE Galway. Here’s the events we have planned and we need as much help as possible so email firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
- SU Charity Comedy Gig with David O’Doherty Monday 28th January
- SU Annual Charity Collection Day Saturday 2nd February
All volunteers who help out can include time spent volunteering in their ALIVE Student Volunteer Certificate Application.
Registration Open for Women Lead 2019
#WomenLead19 is taking place from 25th-26th January. This event aims to empower women at third level to run/apply for leadership positions in whatever area they so wish.
There’s €35,000 in cash prizes with the overall winner receiving €10,000. Deadline to submit your 3 minute video about your business idea is 5pm Friday 8th of March.
The Examinations Office releases official examination results only and is not involved in the release of any provisional results. Provisional results may be released locally by Schools/Colleges via Blackboard Grade Centre. Students are advised to check Blackboard for information about provisional result release dates in the first instance or contact your College/School Office
We are hosting an Anti-Racism Workshop on Wednesday 16th of January with Galway One World Centre. Spaces are just €5 and you can sign up in the SU Office now.
We have limited spaces left in our Disclosure Training with Galway Rape Crisis Centre for the new date of Tuesday 12th of February 2019. Sign up now in the SU Office for just €10.
Load it up with cash or weekly/monthly tickets for Bus Éireann and City Direct and we don’t charge any commission!
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.