SU Weekly Email 10 – 26th Nov 2020Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union / Fáilte chuig do r-phost seachtainiúil ó Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn
Tues 1st Dec / Dé Máirt an 1 Nollaig
- “Not asking for it” / Níl mé á iarraidh (Instagram)
- 14:00 “Anytime of the Month” Period Poverty Training / Oiliúint i mBochtanas na Fola Míosta –ZOOM LINK HERE
- 17:00 Active* Consent Workshop / Ceardlann Toilithe – Tickets via Eventbrite HERE
- World AIDS Day / An Lá Domhanda SEIF – The Quad will be lit up in Red this evening to mark World AIDS Day
Weds 2nd Dec / Dé Céadaoin an 2 Nollaig
- Guess How Many Condoms are in the Jar / Tomhais Cá Mhéad Coincíní atá sa Chrúsca (Instagram Comp)
- 14:00 Queer Sex Ed/ Gnéasoideachas don Phobal Aiteach – Workshop Zoom Link Here
- STI Awareness / Feasacht ar Ionfhabhtuithe Gnéas-Tarchurtha
- 19:30 Hump Day Hoolie / Cóisir na Céadaoin Crua Tickets via Eventbrite HERE
Thurs 3rd Dec / Déardaoin an 3 Nollaig
- 15:00 How To Get A-Head in Bed Talk / Ceardlann ar an mBeart a Dhéanamh sa Leaba – Talk Zoom Link Here
- 15:00 -19:00 Free Rapid HIV Testing with Sexual Health West in Galway City (Book via email@example.com )
- 18:00 Image Based Sexual Assault Workshop / Ceardlann Íomhábhunaithe ar Ionsaithe Gnéis – Tickets via Eventbrite HERE
Fri 4th Dec / Dé hAoine an 4 Nollaig
- 15:00 Know the Signs of Dating Abuse /Bíodh Comharthaí na Mí-Úsáide Geandála ar Eolas Agat – ZOOM LINK HERE
- 19:00 Sex Toy Bingo / Biongó Bréagán Gnéis – (Tickets via Eventbrite HERE
ALL WEEK / An tseachtain ar fad
- Book your FREE STI Test with the NUIG Student Health Unit on 091 494 337
- Book your FREE Rapid HIV Test with Sexual Health West on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Order Free condoms + lube from Sexual Health West or HIV Ireland
- Order a Free At Home Rapid HIV Self-Test from HIV Ireland
This December for our Charity Challenge we are going to spread positivity wherever we go with our Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Challenge. We will have daily suggestions for Random Acts of Kindness that you can do or you can come up with your own ones. The RAK challenge motto is do good, feel good! You can commit to taking part in as many RAKs as you want from 1 to 30 over the month! All funds raised during the challenge will go to the SU Charities who are: Galway Rape Crisis Centre, Galway Autism Partnership and Helplink Mental Health via our fundraising page HERE.
Want presents? Sure don’t we all! Sign up to take part in our SU Secret Santa and you’ll get to give AND receive a present! More information on how it works and how to register is HERE.
Join us in the Salthill 2pm-4pm Fri 4th of Dec for our socially distanced beach clean-up*. We will have bags and gloves for all volunteers just make sure to bring your own mask and wear warm waterproof clothes. Meeting point will be at Grattan Beach. Book your tickets here.
*Please note this event is subject to Government restrictions regarding outdoor events changing*
Environment & Sustainability Working Group
We are setting up an Environment & Sustainability Working Group. If you want to get involved sign up here or email email@example.com for more info.
This is your opportunity to leave your mark on the design of the new NUI Galway Library! Poll available at https://nuigalwaynewlibrary.com/
The next Class Reps Council for all Class Reps will take place at 6pm on Monday 30th November. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tickets are available HERE for our next Hump Day Hoolie at 7.30pm on Weds 2nd of Dec. There’ll be comedy, speed friending, music, competitions and loads of prizes on Zoom.
NUIG Zine call for Submissions
Need an STI Test?
Book your FREE STI Test with the NUIG Student Health Unit on 091 494 337
All welcome to this interactive workshop with Vicky Donnelly and ALIVE to have your mind blown 5pm-6.30pm today Thurs 26th Nov. Info.
Free Rapid HIV Testing
Sexual Health West are holding Free Rapid HIV Testing across Galway next week. To book your appointment email email@example.com or phone 086 024 9111.
Do you know a staff member who deserves recognition for how they supported your learning? Nominate staff for the Teaching Hero Award here.
- Balancing Parenting and Studies 2pm Tues 1st Dec
- Goal Setting & Motivation 3pm Weds 2nd Dec
- How to Tackle an Open Book Exam 1pm Tues 8th Dec
- Time Management 12pm Thurs 10th Dec
- Making Connections with Fellow Students & Developing Social Supports 2pm Fri 11th Dec
- How to Write an Academic Essay 11am Tues 15th Dec
- Top Tips for Surviving Lockdown 3pm Weds 16th Dec
- REGISTER HERE
A group of NUIG students have a petition for NUIG to partially refund tuition fees for 2020/21 due to Covid-19. You can sign the petition here.
Our Big Yellow Thing Charity Socks are on sale now in the SU Shop and on the SU Website for just €9. All proceeds go to the SU Charities: Galway Rape Crisis Centre, Galway Autism Partnership and Helplink Mental Health. More info here.
Visit our website for new volunteer projects added every week!
International Day of People with Disabilities is on Thurs 3rd of Dec and the theme is “All in this Together”. NUIG students, staff and community partners are excited to build awareness of the wide variety of contexts and people for the International Day of People with Disabilities 2020! More info about the competition.
Ar mhaith leat snas a chur ar do Ghaeilge labhartha?
Bí linn ar 26ú Samhain don Ciorcal Comhrá ar líne. Beidh seisiún ón 6-7 agus ceann eile ón 7-8. Bí cinnte clárú go luath mar tá na spásanna teoranta! Seol ríomhphoist ag Seán ag: firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of the master’s in health economic course two NUIG students are conducting a survey on students’ attitudes to the Flu vaccine and potential Covid -19 vaccines. This is part of a report to uncover the attitudes in the student population towards taking a COVID vaccine, and the thinking that influences these attitudes. The data collected in this survey is anonymous. Any questions contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. Link to survey.
There will be donation boxes until 3rd Dec on campus in the CSI Kitchen, HBB and the Socs Desk for the Cope Galway Christmas Appeal. If you can donate any of the following new/unused items they will be a great help: Colouring books/activity sets, warms socks/gloves/scarves, jumpers/jackets, personal hygiene sets, mugs, pyjamas/vests/underwear, selection boxes/biscuits, tea towels/bath towels, handbags/wallets, tinned food/condiments. For more info contact email@example.com
NUIG Shark Week
NUIG Animal Ambassadors and ZooSoc are launching a campaign to stop shark finning completely in the EU with real legislative action! They need you to sign their legislation petition here: https://www.stop-finning-eu.org/
Societies Online Collab LiveStream!
On Friday 18th of December the first ever Societies Online Collab or SOC Stream livecast will be on Twitch from noon until midnight. This is a totally free event hosted by a collaboration of NUIG societies and all donations will go towards Galway’s Teach Solais, a charity for the LGBT+ youth in the West of Ireland. Find us and more info on all platforms at SOCStreamIRL.
Mature Students Drop-In Clinics
Weekly drop-In Clinics are available for all NUIG Mature Students. Here you can discuss issues, challenges, ideas, suggestions, and much more. The clinics are hosted by your SU Mature Students’ Officer Michelle Mitchell on Zoom and are on 10am-12pm Tuesdays and 2pm-4pm Thursdays (links below). For more info email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have booked a seat in the Library or the Bailey Allen Hall and can no longer make your booking please cancel it! Only 55% of people are showing up for seat bookings. There’s now more seats available to book in The Cube too. Be sound and don’t leave someone else stressing without a seat. Book a seat here.
NUIG SU Disability Rights Officer Patricia O’Mahony will be holding a Disability Rights Clinic 3pm-4.30pm every Friday on Zoom. Feel free to drop in if you have any queries. ZOOM LINK. For more info please email email@example.com
Free Strength + Conditioning Classes
Our free Strength and Conditioning Classes take place at 6.30pm every Monday and Wednesday on Zoom. If you want to come along email firstname.lastname@example.org for the class links.
This year we are raising funds for 3 great charities: Galway Rape Crisis Centre, Galway Autism Partnership and Helplink Mental Health. If you can spare a few euro please donate here.
- Galway Rape Crisis Centre is dedicated to providing a professional, caring and confidential counselling and support service for those in our community affected by sexual abuse and sexual violence.
- Galway Autism Partnership supports families and individuals affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- Helplink Mental Health is a charitable organisation providing accessible counselling, information and education mental health services locally (West of Ireland), nationally and internationally.
The Students’ Union Grinds Register provides a list of people offering grinds to NUIG students in a wide array of subjects.
Need Someone to Talk To?
- Contact NUIG Counselling service to set up an appointment on: email@example.com
- Text HELLO to 50808 if you need mental health support or advice. Service available 24/7
- Phone the Samaritans on 116 123 or email them on firstname.lastname@example.org 24/7
Contact Us / Déan teagmháil linn
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is currently closed but we are working remotely to help you.