RAK ChallengeNews & Events
Our second Charity Challenge is the Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Challenge which takes place from 1st-31st of December. This month we are going to spread positivity wherever we go!
We have lots of suggestions below for Random Acts of Kindness that you can do or feel free to come up with your own ones and let us know. The RAK challenge motto is do good, feel good!
You can commit to taking part in as many RAKs as you want from 1 to 31! You can sign up to take part here.
When you RAK make sure to share the positivity using #RAKChallenge and tagging nuigsu on our Social Media! We want to encourage as many people as possible to start RAKing every day!
Please share our fundraising page so we can help them continue their vital work: www.gf.me/u/y4ykb4
RAKS For Strangers
- Compliment the first three people you talk to today.
- Take part in the SU Clean Up on Fri 4th Dec (subject to Government Regs)
- Plant a tree.
- Let someone go in front of you in a queue.
- Take part in the SU Secret Santa
- Buy a warm meal or drink for someone in need.
- Stop to assist someone who looks lost.
- Do a 2 Minute Beach Clean
- Say something encouraging to a parent who’s struggling with unruly kids.
- Put together some bags filled with snacks and toiletries to give to the homeless.
- Write a letter/send a card to a local nursing/care home resident. It’s free to post them!
- Pay for a coffee for the person behind you in the queue.
- Pick up a piece of litter on the street and dispose of it.
- Pass along a compliment to a front line worker’s boss.
- Take the time to write a great online review for a local business you love.
- Leave a positive comment on a news article or blog post.
- Learn CPR.
- Send a care package to a front line worker.
- Smile at 5 strangers.
- Volunteer – ALIVE have lots of volunteering opportunities here
- Become an Organ Donor
- Sign up for a charity event – see 28-30 for inspiration!
- Introduce yourself to your neighbours, even if — especially if — you’ve lived near each other for a while but haven’t met.
- Do some baking and make extras to give to your neighbours.
- Do a clear out and donate unwanted items to charity.
- Ask neighbours if they’ve any jobs that they need help with.
- Set an alarm on your phone to go off at three different times during the day. At those times do something kind for someone else.
- Try to make sure every person in a group conversation feels included.
- Take part in the COPE Galway Christmas Swim – #SwimWhereYouAre 21st-30th December
- Take part in the GOAL Mile 24th – 26th December.
- Take part in the Sprint for Simon – 12 days of Christmas challenge. Sprint, run or walk 1k a day from 25th Dec to Jan 5th
- Go Vegan
RAKS for Friends/Family
- Tell a Friend you value their friendship
- Send a positive text message to five different people right now.
- Donate to a friend’s favourite charity in their name.
- Give a friend a book you think they would like.
- Send a funny meme to brighten someone’s day
- Reconnect with someone you haven’t heard from in a while
- Tell someone they are important to you
- Invite someone to a (virtual) meal online
- Figure out a friend or family member’s half birthday (six months from their full birthday) and surprise them with a little treat on that day.
- Forgive someone who has wronged you.
- Make amends with someone you have wronged.
- Write someone a song/poem/letter/postcard
- Send someone a song that reminds you of them
- Tell someone they make you smile and laugh
- Make plans to meet someone for a socially distanced walk
- Remind someone of your favourite memory of them
- Don’t forget yourself! Schedule a pedicure or massage, spend a few hours reading a great book or make time for another activity you love. Being kind to yourself will give you the energy and strength to be kind to others