Notice of Referendum Thursday 1st February 2018News & Events
Notice of Referendum Thursday 1st February 2018
On Thursday 1st of February you will be asked to vote in a referendum on whether or not you support the restructuring of students’ union officer roles. The wording which will appear on the ballot paper requiring a Yes / No answer, will be:
“Do you agreed with referendum motion proposed by the Executive Committee of the Students’ Union of the National University of Ireland Galway on 15th January 2018?”
The proposed amendment to the NUI Galway Students’ Union constitution, as proposed by the SU Executive Committee, if passed, will result in the following:
- The Vice-President / Welfare Officer will become the Vice-President / Welfare and Equality Officer with added responsibilities in the area of equality.
- The current part-time Equality Officer position will be abolished.
- The current Postgraduate Officer will be abolished.
- Five new part-time officer positions will be created:
- The International Students Officer
- The Gender and LGBT+ Rights Officer
- The Disability Rights Officer
- The Postgraduate Taught Officer
- The Postgraduate Research Officer
Polling will take place on Thursday 1st of February in the following venues and you must present your NUI Galway ID to vote:
- 10am-5pm at Smokey’s Café
- 11am-6pm in Áras na Mac Léinn
- 10am-6pm via online Remote Vote on the SU Website. You must register in advance for the Remote Vote option before midnight on Wednesday 31st of January by logging on to su.nuigalway.ie
This referendum has been requested by 500 members of the Students’ Union in accordance with the Students’ Union Constitution, Article 16.