Learn to Swim2013/2014 Projects
Students of the Swimming, Water Polo and Lifesaving Club will provide fellow students basic swimming lessons. With over five hundred people requiring rescue from Irish waters each year, the Learn to Swim project aims at promoting water safety.
Staff: Kathy Hynes
Project Update – 28 November 2013
- At the beginning of semester 1 we began advertising the Learn to Swim Classes.
- During the University Clubs day, a lot of students told us that they were interested.
- After the clubs day, we sent out emails to everyone who was interested, outlining the details of the classes.
- The first lesson was held on Thursday 19th September with a good turn out
- Lessons have taken place every Thursday since with the exception of Thursday 31st October.
- Students were split into 3 general groups of:
- Complete beginners.
- Improvers, learning proper technique with a view to progressing to club training sessions and possibly competing at the intervarsity.
- We have made up posters to put up around the college this week in order to advertise the “Learn to Swim” program for next semester.
- Lessons will finish this week (study week) on the 28th November.