You can now top-up your Student Leap Card at the NUI Galway Students’ Union office!
Please note all the below fares are the Student rates for the Student Leap Card only.
To obtain your Student Leap Card:
- Go to studentleapcard.ie and complete the online application.
- Bring the order confirmation code to the SU office along with your Student ID or a letter from your School/College and we can print the card off for you. Please note the code expires after 7 days.
- The Student Leap Card costs €10 and doesn’t have any credit on it.
There are two options for topping up your Leap Card with credit in the SU Office and we don’t charge any commission!
Option 1: Pay-as-you-go
If you are looking to use the pay-as-you-go option you can top up your Student Leap Card with Travel Credit to the value of your choice. The fare when using the pay-as-you-go on Bus Éireann would be €1.68 a trip for bus trips in 01-11 stages and €1.98 for the 12+ stages.
Option 2: Load a ticket onto your Card
For Bus Éireann you have three options of tickets which can be loaded to your Leap Card:
- 24 Hour – €4
- 7 day – €16.80
- Monthly – €59.50 (The monthly ticket is done by calendar month e.g. 1st January to 31st January)
For City Direct there is only the option of the Monthly Ticket:
- Monthly – €50
The Students’ Union Office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building (beside Sult) and we are open 10am-5pm Monday-Friday during term time.
The NUI Galway Working and Travelling Abroad Fair 2019 will help you to plan the best summer ever!
The Fair will take place 12pm-3pm on Wednesday 23rd January 2019 in Áras na Mac Léinn.
Exhibitors include: J1 Visa companies, travel companies, volunteering/adventure companies, internships/training companies and there will be delicious food stalls to fill your belly as you plan your summer! There will also be information talks during the day in The View upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn.
NUI Galway does not endorse or affiliate any external company exhibiting at the Fair.
ALIVE – NUI Galway’s Student Volunteering Programme
Campus France Ireland – Campus France Ireland is here to help all Irish students and international students based in Ireland who want to pursue their higher education in France.
Capture Travel – Group Trips Abroad
CCUSA – Summer Camp Jobs, Work or Volunteer Experiences and Adventures in the USA and around the World!
Club Travel / SAYIT – J1 USA Visas
J1 Ireland – J1 Summer Work Travel Self Placement
Partnership International – Career Training Programmes
USA Summer Camp – Spend your J1 in a Summer Camp in the USA
USIT – Plan your next adventure anywhere in the world includes USA, Canada and Australian Visas
Teach To Beach – Teach English in Vietnam
Confirmed Talks in The View upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn:
12pm-1pm SAYIT – J1 Summer Work and Travel Talk
1pm-2pm USIT – USA and Canada Summer Options Talk
2pm-3pm CCUSA – Want to have the #BestSummerEver at a summer camp in America or Canada?
Confirmed Food Stalls:
Applications are now OPEN for the vacant positions at the NUI Galway Students’ Union Cloakroom and Engineering Building Information Point for the remainder of the 2018/19 academic term until 10th May 2019.
Please send your CV together with cover letter to Joanna Brophy, Assistant Manager, NUI Galway Students’ Union by email only to email@example.com before 5pm on Friday 14th of December.
Full job description is available HERE: Job Description SU Engineering Desk Staff
Late applications will not be accepted.
The NUI Galway Students’ Union Cloakroom will be open 9am-6pm Thursdays & Fridays. The Engineering Desk will be open 11am-3pm Monday-Friday.
Please only apply if you will be available to work during these hours.
Please note: You must be available for training on Wednesday 9th of January and be prepared to start work on Monday 14th of January.
Christmas Holiday Arrangements 2018
NUI Galway Christmas Holidays are from Saturday 22nd December 2018 to Sunday 13th of January 2019 (inclusive)
Semester 2 Teaching starts on Monday 14th of January 2019. Academic Dates for the rest of 2018/19 are available HERE.
- The Students’ Union Office will close on Fri 21st Dec and reopen at 10am Mon 7th Jan.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will close at 3pm on Fri 21st of Dec and reopen at 11am on Mon 14th of Jan.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 21st of Dec and reopen at 9am on Thurs 17th of Jan.
- The Students’ Union Shop will close on Fri 21st Dec and reopen Mon 7th Jan.
- Sult will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen at 8.30am on Mon 7th Jan.
- Caifé na Gaeilge will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen on Mon 14th Jan.
- Smokey’s Café will close on Fri 21st Dec and reopen Mon 7th Jan.
- The Wall Café will be closed on Fri 21st Dec and will be open with reduced hours on the following days Thurs 27th Dec, Fri 28th Dec, Weds 2nd Jan, Thurs 3rd Jan, Fri 4th Jan & Mon 7th Jan.
- The James Hardiman Library will be closed Sat 22nd Dec to Tues 1st Jan inclusive.
- The Reading Room will be closed on Tues 25th and Weds 26th of Dec.
- The Student Health Unit will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen on Mon 7th Jan.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with a new issue on Tues 15th of Jan.
- The Socs Box will close on Fri 21st Dec and will reopen on Mon 7th Jan.
- SUMS will be closed from Fri 14th of Dec.
- For details about Computer Suite Access over the holidays check HERE
Beannachtaí na Nollag agus Athbhliain faoi mhaise.
We hope you all have a very merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
See you all in 2019!
NUI Galway Students’ Union Christmas Exam Buses with City Direct
Cost: €2 Per Journey.
Non-Stop Direct Service to Salthill Exam Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel) Monday 10th December – Thursday 20th December 2018
- Leaving University Road (Bus Stop Near Ward’s) 08:40 & 15:40
- Leaving Salthill (Leisureland) 11:40 & 18:40
SHAG (Sexual Health Awareness and Guidance) Week 2018
An tSeachtain um Fheasacht agus Threoir ar an tSláinte Ghnéis, 2018
Monday 5th of November/Dé Luain, an 5 Samhain
1pm-3pm Mental Health Monday: “Let’s Talk About Sex (baby)” stand at Smokey’s Café & “How many condoms can you pack in 1 minute?” Competition
5pm-7pm FREE STI Clinic in the Student Health Unit. Phone 091 492 604 for appointment.
Tuesday 6th of November/Dé Máirt, an 6 Samhain
10am-1.30pm Disclosure Training with Galway Rape Crisis Centre in The Space. €10 Register in advance in SU. POSTPONED DUE TO ILLNESS
11am-4pm- Share your most embarrassing sex story with Journos Media Soc at Smokey’s Café for their radio show Illuminaughty
4pm-5pm Consent Movie Screening in AM250 Colm O’Heocha Theatre
Wednesday 7th of November/ Dé Céadaoin, an 7 Samhain
2pm-5pm Free Rapid HIV Testing with AIDS West in The Space
7pm-9pm “How Well Do You Know Your Hun?” with GIG Soc in IT202
8pm Sex Toy Bingo at Sult
Thursday 8th of November/Déardaoin, an 8 Samhain
5pm-8pm “Peaches, Pears or Bananas – Loving Your Sexual Body” with Anna Keogh in SC200A
5pm-7pm FREE STI Clinic in the Student Health Unit. Phone 091 492 604 for appointment.
- Guess how many condoms are in the jar. Entry €1 goes to SU Charities.
- Free Condoms and Tompax
- Look Out For STI-nder
- Methods of Birth Control Online
- Journos Media Soc – Facebook giveaway for a year’s subscription to OMGYes in return for people sharing a post about sex positivity and kindness. Winner announced Thursday.
More information from/ Tuilleadh eolais ar fáil ó firstname.lastname@example.org
NUI Galway Students’ Union Presents The Ultimate Study Break: Big Fat Charity Cake Sale & Pet Farm Visit
Cuireann Comhaltas na Mac Léinn, OÉ Gaillimh, An Briseadh Staidéar Iontach i Láthair: An Díolachán Cácaí Mór Millteach ar son Carhanachtaí agus Cuairt Fheirm Pheataí
11am – 3.30pm Wednesday 5th December 2018 in Áras na Mac Léinn
11r.n. – 3.30i.n., Dé Céadaoin, an 5 Nollaig 2018 Áras na Mac Léinn
There will be sheep, lambs, goats, cats, rabbits, ducks, hens, roosters, chicks, ducklings, geese, cake, tea, a raffle and tunes from Flirt FM.
All funds raised go to Galway Rape Crisis Centre and COPE Galway.
Tabharfar an t-airgead ar fad do Galway Rape Crisis Centre and COPE Galway.
NUI Galway Students’ Union Road Safety Day / Lá Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn um Shábháilteacht ar Bhóithre
Road Safety Authority Interactive Shuttle + Roll-Over Simulator
10am-4pm Wednesday 31st October Áras na Mac Léinn
- Practice your driving and hazard perception skills on our simulators (car, motorbike, bicycle)
- Take part in the roll-over simulation which demonstrates how it would feel if you were in a car which turned over in a collision.
- Practice the driver theory test.
- Practice safe cycling skills on our state of the art bicycle simulator
- See how driving environments and speed affect your braking distances on the brake reaction timer.
- Free High Vis Items
NUI Galway Students’ Union Global Week
Seachtain Dhomhanda Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn, OÉ Gaillimh
Monday 22nd October / Dé Luain, an 22 Deireadh Fómhair
6.30pm-8.30pm Screening of “Through our Eyes” with Fáilte Refugees Society in Kirwan Theatre
7.30pm-9.30pm “A Stevening” in the O’Flaherty Theatre. Two of Galway’s favourite bearded wonders: Steve Bennett + Steven Sharpe, doing a funny, musical, weird-ass show like only they can!
Tuesday 23rd October / Dé Máirt, an 23 Deireadh Fómhair
6pm-8pm Poetry Slam/Flash Fiction with Writers Soc in the Dillon Theatre
7pm-8pm Global Women’s Empowerment Talk with Marie-Anne Michel from Trócaire and FemSoc in AC201
Wednesday 24th October / Dé Céadaoin, an 24 Deireadh Fómhair
10.15am-1.30pm SU Anti-Racism Course with Galway One World Centre in The View. Limited Spaces. €5 Register in the SU in advance.
12pm-4pm Cultural Trade Fair in The Cube
6pm-7pm Panel Discussion on Direct Provision in Ireland in AC204
Thursday 25th October / Déardaoin, an 25 Deireadh Fómhair
7pm-9pm Screening of “Free CeCe” with GigSoc in the Áras Uí Cathail Lecture Theatre
ALL WEEK: STAND 8×8 Festival Outdoor Photo Exhibition outside the Library.
More information from/Tuilleadh eolais ar fáil ó email@example.com