Students’ Union Issues Plea to Former Airbnb Hosts
With the introduction of new regulations for short-term letting in “rent pressure zones” this week NUI Galway Students’ Union are asking Galway homeowners who rented rooms on platforms such as Airbnb to consider renting to students instead. The new regulations have been introduced to address the impact on the private rental market using residential homes for short-term tourism type letting in areas of high housing demand.
Landlords can rent out rooms in their homes to students tax-free up to a cap of €14,000 per annum under the Rent a Room Scheme. This remains unchanged and landlords can also advertise their accommodation for free on the NUI Galway accommodation website www.nuigstudentpad.ie. The option is also available to just rent a room for one semester to a visiting student if homeowners are unsure about getting into a long-term arrangement
President of NUI Galway Students’ Union Clare Austick said “We are asking landlords to advertise their accommodation through the www.nuigstudentpad.ie websites ASAP so that students can secure housing now rather than having to wait until the week before lectures begin. This will provide steady tax-free income for homeowners and a home for NUI Galway students who contribute so much to the local economy. The lack of accommodation here in Galway City has become a serious issue putting access to education at risk for many students.”
Brandon Walsh Students’ Union VP/Welfare & Equality Officer added “We are already inundated with queries from students looking for accommodation. There are also a huge number of visiting students that will just be attending NUI Galway for one semester, September to December or January to May, who are desperately in need of accommodation. We would encourage anyone with a spare room to strongly consider renting to a student as soon as possible.”
Pictured (Left to Right): Cameron Keighron (SU VP/Education Officer) Clare Austick (SU President), Brandon Walsh (SU VP/Welfare & Equality Officer)
Exam Results Important Dates 2019:
- 17th – 24th June Undergrad Exam Results Released Online
- 28th June Undergrad Consultation Day (Contact School/College Office in advance)
- 2nd July Postgrad Exam Results Released
- 4th July Undergrad Exam Appeal Deadline
- 5th July Postgrad Consultation Day (Contact School/College Office in advance)
- 10th July Postgrad Exam Appeal Deadline
- 11th July Autumn/Repeat Exam Timetable Released
- 6th-16th Aug Autumn/Repeat Exams
- 30th Aug Undergrad Autumn Exam Results Released
- 2nd Sept Autumn sitting students – online registration for course & modules opens
- 6th Sept Undergrad Autumn Appeal Deadline
- 10th Sept Postgrad Autumn Exam Results Released
- 17th Sept Postgrad Autumn Appeal Deadline
More information is available from the Examinations Office Website HERE
We are Recruiting: Sin Editor
Sin Newspaper is the official Student Newspaper of NUI Galway. A fortnightly publication published by the Students’ Union, the paper includes a mix of campus news, features, sport and reviews.
Sin.ie is the online information resource of NUI Galway Students’ Union. The website will include up to date news and features and will be a comprehensive information and resource centre for NUI Galway students with regards to college and local news in particular.
The Sin Editor will be a self starter who works well with others and has particular strengths in working with, and motivating a team of volunteers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, direct and motivate a team of voluntary sub editors and writers
- Overall responsibility for sourcing newspaper and website content
- Maintain a high standard of writing in both Sin Newspaper and Sin Website
- Edit 12 issues of Sin Newspaper in conjunction with the Students’ Union
- Update Sin.ie website and social media platforms regularly with news, features etc
- Work with the Graphic Designer to ensure consistent design and layout
- Develop links with other student publications to facilitate sharing of information and resources
- Oversee distribution of Sin Newspaper across campus
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time
€500 stipend per issue
Please include the following:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- A sample proposal outlining a plan of action of how you would manage Sin Newspaper over the next academic year. This should include your plans for writer recruitment and retention, format of Sin, general promotion of Sin, and your ideas for distributing Sin for maximum readership
Applications by email only to: email@example.com
Closing date: 5:00pm Thursday 20th June 2019
Interviews: Tuesday 25th June 2019
We are Recruiting: Peer Learning Intern
NUI Galway Students’ Union seeks a friendly, energetic and goal-oriented Intern to provide support to existing staff on its CÉIM academic peer learning programme. This is a varied role in which the successful candidate will be required to work closely with diverse partners including students and academic staff to help ensure the effective delivery of CÉIM.
CÉIM is an academic peer support scheme based on the Peer Assisted Study Sessions / Peer Assisted Learning (PASS/PAL) model. CÉIM supports 1st year students’ transition to higher education, health and wellbeing, academic success, progression and development of transferable skills. Delivered via a partnership between students, academic staff and the Students’ Union, CÉIM will be offered to approximately 1,500 or nearly 50% of NUI Galway 1st year students from September 2019. See further information on www.su.nuigalway.ie/ceim
The Intern will be employed by NUI Galway Students’ Union on a fixed-term part-time contract (3 days per week).
Contract duration: Mid-August 2019 – Late April 2020
Working days: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday (7 hours per day)
- Handle day-to-day tasks to ensure the smooth running of CÉIM.
- Provide general programme and administrative support.
- Organise materials for student leaders, weekly meetings and training.
- Provide support to individual students and groups of students.
- Attend weekly meetings with students and academic staff.
- Support the CÉIM Director and CÉIM Administrator with various duties as they arise.
- Understanding of the CÉIM programme, and an interest in supporting students to make the most of their time at university.
- Strong organisational and administration skills.
- Experienced Microsoft Office user.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Friendly and professional manner with the ability to collaborate with diverse stakeholders.
- Highly adaptable with a solution-oriented outlook.
- Excellent work ethic and commitment to deadlines and deliverables.
- The capacity to acquire new skills and apply them to the role.
Applications must include:
- Cover Letter outlining your suitability for the post and why you are interested in the post.
- Curriculum Vitae.
Applications via email to:
NUI Galway Students’ Union
Closing date: 5:00pm, Friday, 24 May 2019
Interviews for shortlisted candidates will take place on: Wednesday, 12 June 2019
NUI Galway Summer Holiday Arrangements 2019
- The SU Office will be open Monday-Friday 10am-12.30pm & 2pm-4.30pm from Monday 20th of May. The SU Office will BE CLOSED Mon 3rd June and Mon 5th Aug (Bank Holidays)
- The Student Health Unit summer service starts on Tues the 4th of June and they will only see undergraduates until Friday 31st of May. The summer service is restricted to current post-graduate students only and remains an acute illness service. Summer hours are Monday-Friday 9.30am-12.30pm and 2.30pm-4.30pm. Nurse available 10am–12pm and 2.30pm-4.30pm
- The Library will be open 8.30am-5.30pm Mon-Fri and Closed Saturdays & Sunday from Mon 13th May to Sun 29th July & Mon 19th Aug to Sun 1st Sept. Closed Mon 3rd June (Bank Holiday). REPEAT EXAMS: Open Mon 29th July-Sun 18th Aug: Mon-Thurs 8.30am-10pm, Fri 8.30am-5.30pm, Sat 8.30am-5pm, Sun Closed. Bank Holiday Mon 5th Aug 10am-5pm. Detailed opening hours are available here.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- Computer Suites – check availability here.
- Caife na Gaeilge is closed for the summer.
- Sult will be open 8.30am-6pm Monday-Thursday & 8.30am-00.30am Friday. Closed Saturday/Sunday.
- Smokey’s Café Monday-Friday 8.30am-5pm. Closed Saturday/Sunday
- The SU Shop Monday-Friday 8.30am-4pm Monday to Friday. Closed Saturday/Sunday.
- The Wall Café Monday to Friday 8am-3pm.
- The SU Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 10th May.
- The SU Engineering desk will close at 3pm on Fri 10th May.
- SUMS and Computer DISC are now closed for the summer.
- The Academic Writing Centre will reopen in July/August for a special intervention to help students to stay at the University and to help Postgraduate students.
Teaching begins on Monday 9th of September for all years.
The academic calendar for 2019/20 is available here.
Here’s just some of what’s on in Galway this Summer:
Galway Theatre Festival Fri 3rd – Sat 11th May 2019
Darkness Into Light 4.15am Sat 11th May 2019
Galway Bay Brewery Running Club 12.30pm Sun 12th May 2019
Banff Mountain Film Festival Mon 13th May 2019
Colours Festival Weds 15th – Mon 20th May 2019
Oranmore Arts Festival Thurs 16th – Sun 19th May 2019
Galway Early Music Festival Fri 24th – Sun 26th May 2019
Galway Africa Day Sat 25th May 2019
Conamara Bog Week Tues 28th May – Mon 3rd June 2019
Galway Juggling Convention Fri 31st – Mon 3rd June 2019
Galway African Film Festival Sat 1st & Sun 2nd June 2019
Fives for Lives Tag Rugby & Soccer tournament in aid of Pieta House Sat 1st June 2019
West End Summer Street Festival Mon 3rd June 2019
Free Entry to all OPW Attractions Wednesday 5th June 2019
Mojo Fest Thurs 6th – Sat 8th June 2019
Galway Bay Brewery Running Club 12.30pm Sun 9th June 2019
Irish Cancer Society 5k Colour Dash NUIG Sunday 9th June 2019
Galway Bay Brewery Running Club 7pm Mon 17th & Mon 24th June 2019
Galway Ukulele Festival Fri 21st – Sun 23rd June 2019
Soapbox Science Galway Sat 29th June 2019
Galway Bay Brewery Running Club 7pm Mon 1st, Mon 8th, Mon 15th, Mon 22nd & Mon 29th July 2019
Give Blood in Galway Tues 2nd, Weds 3rd, Thurs 4th, Sun 7th, Tues 9th, Weds 10th & Thurs 11th July 2019
Free Entry to all OPW Attractions Wednesday 3rd July 2019
Galway International Food & Craft Festival Fri 5th – Sun 7th July 2019
Galway Film Fleadh Tues 9th – Sun 14th July 2019
Galway Bay Brewery Running Club 12.30pm Sun 14th July 2019
Galway Fringe Festival Mon 15th – Sun 28th July 2019
Galway International Arts Festival Mon 15th – Sun 28th July 2019
Galway Summer Drama Festival Sat 20th – Sat 27th July 2019
Galway Races Horse Racing Festival Mon 29th July- Sun 4th August 2019
Free Entry to all OPW Attractions Weds 7th August 2019
Galway Pride Festival Mon 12th – Sun 18th August 2019
Streets of Galway 8km Race 7pm Sat 10th August 2019
Galway Bay Brewery Running Club 12.30pm Sun 11th Aug 2019
Give Blood in Galway 5pm-8.30pm Weds 21st or Thurs 22nd Aug 2019 in Clayton Hotel
Galway Heritage Week Saturday 17th – Sunday 25th August 2019
Lots of these festivals and events need volunteers to help out so please give them a shout if you are available to lend a hand!
There are also lots of charitable organisations looking for volunteers to help out. Check the NUIG ALIVE Volunteering website for volunteering opportunities.
If you just can’t wait to get back to NUI Galway here’s the Semester Dates for 2019/20. Start your countdown!
NUI Galway Arrangements for Bank Holiday Monday 6th of May 2019
- The Students’ Union Office will CLOSE at 5pm on Fri 3rd May and will reopen at 10am on Tues 7th of May
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will CLOSE at 3pm on Fri 3rd of May and reopen at 11am on Tues 7th of May
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will CLOSE at 6pm Fri 3rd of May and reopen at 9am on Thurs 9th of May.
- The James Hardiman Library will be open 08:30-21:00 Sat 4th, 10:00-21:00 Sun 5th and 08:30-22:00 Mon 6th May.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Students’ Union Shop will be open 10am-4pm Sat 4th & Sun 5th and 9am-5pm Mon 6th of May.
- Sult will be CLOSED Sat 4th, Sun 5th & Mon 6th May. Reopening 8.30am Tues 7th of May.
- Caifé na Gaeilge is now CLOSED for the summer and will reopen in September.
- Smokey’s Café will be open 9am-5pm Sat 4th, 10am-5pm Sun 5th and 9am-5pm Mon 6th of May.
- The Wall Café will be open 9am-3pm Sat 4th, 11am-3pm Sun 5th and 11am-3pm Mon 6th of May.
- The Student Health Unit will be CLOSED on Mon 6th of May.
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE
Students at Goldcrest are in Energy Saving Mode & Winning Prizes Along the Way
Today the winners of the ‘Battle of the Dorms’ were awarded for saving the most energy out of all the apartments in their block, using methods such as turning off the lights before leaving a room and only boiling the water they needed for teas & coffees. The battle was spurred on by the USI “Student Switch Off” Campaign, with the support of Campus Living, NUI Galway Green Campus and NUIG Students’ Union.
The students who took part were provided with tips on how they can save energy within their dorms whilst also reducing their energy bill. Tip’s included: washing clothes at 30 degrees, boiling only what they needed, turning off lights, switching off standby mode and defrosting the freezer.
Students living off campus took part in this campaign also, leaving a clear sign that students care about saving energy and want to leave a cleaner carbon footprint wherever they go. The campaign applied life long advice to students in NUIG such as how to read an energy bill, what to look for when searching for accommodation (eg. BER certs) and much more energy saving tips.
Environmental Health and Safety Manger Lorraine Rushe says: “This is the second year that this campaign has been run in NUI Galway and it has been a huge success. It creates awareness and empowers the students to take responsibility for the way in which they live and encourages them to reduce their impact on the environment and associated costs. We can all learn from these initiatives and it is by getting students and staff to engage that we will start to see how small changes in the way we do things can make a big difference”.
This campaign is not over yet, it will continue until exams end and students have the chance to enter the competition by posting photos on Instagram or Snapchat (@switchoff.ie) of them carrying out energy saving actions. Prizes are continually being won and have been graciously donated by Student Switch Off sponsors; SSEAirtricity, Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream and Irish Rail. So far students have won prizes such as ice cream vouchers, train tickets, tickets to FAI games, various concerts and the zoo just to name a few.
Make sure to follow @switchoff.ie on Instagram or Snapchat and @NUIGSSO on Facebook.
Pictured left to right are:
Sinead Barret (Project Manager Campus Living)
Eibhlín Seoighthe (NUI Galway Students’ Union Vice-President/Education Officer)
Lorraine Rushe (NUI Galway Environmental Health and Safety Manger)
NUI Galway Easter Holiday Arrangements 2019
- Teaching ends on Sat 6th of April.
- Field Trips (where applicable) take place Mon 8th April – Weds 10th April.
- Study Week takes place Thurs 11th April – Thurs 18th April.
- Exams Begin Tues 23rd April (except for 5MB3 Students who start Mon 8th April)
- The Students’ Union Office will close at 5pm on Tues 16th April and will reopen at 10am on Tues 23rd April.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will close at 3pm on Fri 5th April and reopen at 11am on Tues 23rd April.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 5th April and reopen at 9am on Thurs 25th April.
- The Students’ Union Shop will be open 8am-5pm Fri 12th, 10am-4pm Sat 13th, 10am-4pm Sun 14th and 10am-5pm Mon 15th April.
- Sult will be closed Fri 19th-Mon 22nd April Inclusive.
- Smokey’s Café will be open 8.30am-6pm Fri 12th, 9am-5pm Sat 13th, 11am-5pm Sun 14th and 10am-5pm Mon 15th April.
- The Wall Café will be open 8am-3pm Fri 12th, 9am-3pm Sat 13th, 11am-3pm Sun 14th and 11am-3pm Mon 15th April.
- The James Hardiman Library will be open 10am-6pm Fri 19th Sat 20th & Sun 21st April and 8.30am-10pm Mon 22nd April.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will be closed Fri 19th– Mon 22nd April inclusive. They will re-open at 8.30am on Tues 23rd April. Opening hours during exams are 8.30am-5.30pm and closed for lunch 1pm-2pm.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with their last issue on Tues 2nd April.
- The Academic Writing Centre will close on Friday 29th of March for summer.
- ComputerDISC will close at 2pm on Friday 26th of April for summer.
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE