NUI Galway Students’ Union Wind Down Week / Seachtain Scíthe Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn
Relax, Unwind, De-Stress and Breathe
Faigh faoiseamh ón strus agus lig do scíth
Monday 2nd December / Dé Luain 2 Nollaig
- 8am-9am Free seated Yoga Meditation in The View. Get tickets here.
- 12.30pm-3pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge outside reading room/library
- 1pm-2pm Free seated Yoga Meditation in The View. Get tickets here.
- 6.30pm-8pm Stress Less Have More Success In Exams. Free talk in AM200 Fottrell Theatre in the Arts Millennium Building. Aidan O’Flynn, Sports Psychologist & Psychotherapist, will speak about coping with stress during exam time. Michael Day, Sports Nutritionist, will have tips on eating to perform during exams.
Tuesday 3rd December / Dé Máirt 3 Nollaig
- 8.15am-8.45am Free Mindfulness Practice in Clinical Science Institute Room 2012
- 9am-10am Free Yoga Class in The Space. Get tickets here.
- 12pm-2pm Snowflakes and Angels. Join the NUIG Knit & Crochet Group in The Space to learn to crochet/knit snowflake or angel ornaments. €5 donation to COPE Galway. Bring own yarn/hooks/needles if you have them! Includes free tea/coffee.
- 12pm-3pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge at the Engineering Building
- 1pm-2pm Learn how to Hula Hoop in the View. Free class get tickets here.
- 3pm-4.30pm Colouring! Take a break and drop in to the Art Room for some colouring in + sweets!
- 3.30pm Christmas Tree Lighting outside Áras na Mac Léinn with choir singing, hot beverages, pastries and festive cheer!
Wednesday 4th December / Dé Céadaoin 4 Nollaig
- 12pm-3pm Charity Cake Sale & Pet Farm at Áras na Mac Léinn
- 12pm-2pm Animal Ambassadors in Meeting Rooms 1&2 Áras na Mac Léinn. Meet their Soothing Snakes, Silly Spiders, Lovely Lizards, Mysterious Mantids and Super Snails!
- 1.15pm-1.35pm Free Mindfulness Practice in Seminar Room 5, 2nd Floor Áras Moyola
Thursday 5th December / Déardaoin 5 Nollaig
- 12pm-2pm Get your free SU Keep Cup + sign the Sustainability Pledge at Smokey’s.
- 3pm-4.30pm Colouring! Take a break and drop in to the Art Room and Hub Central for some colouring in + sweets!
More information from / Tuilleadh eolais ar fáil ó email@example.com
Students’ Union Welcomes University of Sanctuary Designation
NUI Galway Students’ Union has today welcomed the designation of NUI Galway as an official University of Sanctuary. The University of Sanctuary campaign is an initiative to make NUI Galway more inclusive to refugees, asylum seekers and members of the Irish Travelling Community. Scholarships have now been offered to members of these marginalized groups to attend the University.
The campaign began in 2016 and was student led from it’s inception. The Students’ Union has been involved in the process through running awareness campaigns and sitting on the steering committee. The designation will improve access, inclusion and visibility of students from ethnic minority communities at NUI Galway.
Clare Austick, Students’ Union President said: “We are so proud that NUI Galway is now an official University of Sanctuary. This campaign has been student led from the beginning and the Students’ Union has been proud to support it. It’s so important that the University is seen as a welcoming and accessible space for all our students from every background and circumstance.”
Pictured (left to right): Imelda Byrne, Joseph Nyirenda, Mayor Mike Cubbard, Aidan Harte, David Stanton (Minister of State for Equality, Immigration and Integration), Suzanne McKane, Ciaràn Ó hÓgartaigh, Tiffy Allen, Anne Scott, Clare Austick
If there’s something you want to highlight, or if you want to ask about something, it’s simple! Just get in touch with the Students’ Union by using #TellTheSU
Maybe you want to get something off your chest or complain about something on campus. Is there something that you think needs to be sorted? Then #TellTheSU #InisDonChomhaltasé
You can find us on social media or fill in a comment card at our #TellTheSU Boxes around campus.
Find us on:
NUI Galway Students’ Union Christmas Exam Buses with City Direct
Cost: €2 Per Journey.
Non-Stop Direct Service to Salthill Exam Venues (Leisureland/Galway Bay Hotel) Monday 9th December – Thursday 19th December 2019
- Leaving University Road (Bus Stop Near Ward’s) 08:40 & 15:40
- Leaving Salthill (Leisureland) 11:40 & 18:40
NUI Galway Students’ Union Presents The Ultimate Study Break: Charity Cake Sale & Pet Farm Visit
Cuireann Comhaltas na Mac Léinn, OÉ Gaillimh, An Briseadh Staidéar Iontach i Láthair: An Díolachán Cácaí Mór Millteach ar son Carhanachtaí agus Cuairt Fheirm Pheataí
12pm – 3pm Wednesday 4th December 2019 in Áras na Mac Léinn
12i.n. – 3i.n., Dé Céadaoin, an 4 Nollaig 2019 Áras na Mac Léinn
There will be llamas, goats, rabbits, sheep, chickens, ducks, guinea pigs, chicks, cake, tea, a raffle and tunes from Flirt FM. Animal Ambassadors will also be in Meeting Rooms 1&2 Áras na Mac Léinn 12pm-2pm. Meet their Soothing Snakes, Silly Spiders, Lovely Lizards, Mysterious Mantids and Super Snails!
All funds raised go to AIDS West & Domestic Violence Response
Tabharfar an t-airgead ar fad do AIDS West & Domestic Violence Response
Strip of 5 Tickets = €2. On sale from SU Office and Áras na Mac Léinn
- Afternoon Tea for 2 at The Galmont Hotel & Spa
- Three Month Membership for Kingfisher Gym
- €40 Voucher for Dough Bros
- Voucher for a Galway Food Tour
- Three Month Membership for Planet Health Galway
- Bottomless Brunch for Two at Beef and Lobster Galway
- Ten journey ticket travel voucher Galway City to Dublin City from Citylink
- Hamper of Eskimo Oil Products
- €50 Eason Voucher
- Hamper from Matt O’Flaherty Chemists
- €20 Voucher for Pálás Cinema
- Voucher for 2 Lunch specials with Wholly Cow Burgers
- Hamper from University Pharmacy
- €25 Voucher for 56 Central
- 4 Tickets for any gig in Monroes
- €20 Voucher for the Front Door
- €20 Voucher for Matt’s Sandwiches
- NUIG Hoodie from the SU Shop
- Two return travel vouchers Galway City to Dublin Airport from Citylink
- €20 Voucher for Temple Café
- 2 Bottles of Wine
All proceeds go to the SU Charities: AIDS West and Domestic Violence Response
Raffle draw will take place 3.30pm Weds 4th Dec in the SU Office.
NUI Galway Students’ Union have today launched fundraising socks featuring a tribute to the iconic “Galway Yellow” (AKA Big Yellow Thing) sculpture on campus. The socks, a collaboration with Galway company Irish Socksciety, are on sale now for €9 a pair with all proceeds going to the SU charities. They’re an ideal present for anyone who has ever said “I’ll meet ya at the Big Yellow Thing” over the years!
The “Galway Yellow” sculpture outside the NUIG Library was created by artist Brian King in 1976 and has been a landmark and meeting point for UCG/NUIG students since then. It goes by a few nicknames most commonly “The Big Yellow Thing” but also “The Squiggle” and “Archimedes Balls”. The socks are on sale now from the SU Office and the SU Shop at NUI Galway. They can also be purchased online HERE.
Students’ Union President Clare Austick said: “We are delighted to launch our socks just in time for the NUI Galway conferring ceremonies. They are a great gift and will support the work of two very worthy local charities AIDS West and Domestic Violence Response. We hope past and present staff and students will love the socks as much as we do. We look forward to seeing them on cosy feet across campus!”
AIDS West offer the highest quality care and support to those affected by HIV/AIDS/STIs and to those worried about their sexual health.
Domestic Violence Response are a community led organisation responding to the issue of domestic abuse in County Galway.
For sales info contact:
NUIG Students’ Union presents Neil Delamere: End of Watch at 8pm on Monday 27th of January 2020 in the O’Flaherty Theatre NUIG.
All proceeds go to the SU Charities: AIDS West and Domestic Violence Response.
Neil Delamere : End of Watch
Fresh from a sell-out tour, star of BBC’s the Blame Game, Fighting Talk and the Newsquiz Neil Delamere returns to NUIG with a brand new show.
Time waits for no man, especially one trying to buy a watch. Things always get complicated.
“You’ll be hard pressed to find a more gifted comic at the Fringe. *****” The Scotsman
“One lean, mean, comedy, killing machine. *****.” The Herald
Accessible NUI Galway / OÉ Gaillimh Inrochtana
Tuesday 29th October / Dé Máirt an 29 Deireadh Fómhair
- 11am-2pm: Know Your Rights in Hub Central. Drop in and chat about rights in the workplace, college, and public life.
- 6.30pm: Disability and Emergency in the D’arcy Thompson Theatre. Join Emergency Medicine Soc for a talk on best practice in emergency situations
Wednesday 30th October / Dé Céadaoin an 30 Deireadh Fómhair
- All day: The Social Aspect of Disability – an online campaign around the impact inaccessibility has on social life and social connections
Thursday 31st October / Déardaoin an 31 Deireadh Fómhair
- All day: What Is an Accessible Campus? Online/in various locations. Keep up with us on the SU social media platforms to tell us and the University what an accessible campus is to you
- 6pm-8pm Murder Mystery with ISL, location TBC. Join the Irish Sign Language Society for their Halloween event with games and refreshments.
More info from/ Tuilleadh eolais ar fail ó firstname.lastname@example.org
NUI Galway Arrangements for Bank Holiday Monday 28th of October 2019
- There are no classes on Monday 28th of October
- The Students’ Union Office will CLOSE 5pm Fri 25th Oct and reopen 10am Tues 29th of Oct
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will CLOSE 3pm Fri 25th Oct and reopen 11am Tues 29th Oct
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will CLOSE 6pm Fri 25th Oct and reopen 9am Thurs 31st Oct
- The James Hardiman Library will be open 08:30-17:30 Sat 26th, 10:00-17:30 Sun 27th and CLOSED Mon 28th Oct
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Students’ Union Shop will be open Sat 26th Oct, closed Sun 27th & Mon 28th Oct, open Tues 29th Oct
- Sult will be CLOSED Sat 26th, Sun 27th & Mon 28th Oct. Reopening 8.30am Tues 29th Oct.
- Smokey’s Café will be open Sat 26th and Sun 27th, closed Mon 28th and open Tues 29th Oct.
- The Wall Café will be open Sat 26th and Sun 27th and open Mon 28th 11am-3pm
- The Student Health Unit will be CLOSED Mon 28th Oct.
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE
Free Talk on Resistance Training and Nutrition
Caint ar an Traenáil Friotaíochta agus Cothú
7pm-8pm Wednesday 6th November in the O’Flaherty Theatre
7 i.n. – 8 i.n. Dé Céadaoin an 6 Samhain i dtéatar Uí Fhlaithearta
Speaker: Barry McGuire – Qualified Nutritionist & Personal Trainer
Covering nutrition and training in relation to muscle gain/fat loss/toning up
More info from/Tuilleadh eolais ar fail ó email@example.com
FREE Tickets available on Eventbrite