Category Archives

The 2015/2016 Student Grants Application system for New and Renewal applications is now available. You must apply using the SUSI system.
The closing date for grant RENEWAL applicants is 12th June 2015. 
NEW applicants the closing date for applying is the 1st of August 2015.
For more info please check SUSI for up-to-date info.
Maintenance grants are available to help students with their costs of living during full time study; the local authorities in Ireland provide maintenance grants to students who are entering undergraduate or postgraduate education for the first time. Only EU nationals who have resided in the relevant local authority since the 1st of October of the year previous to starting the course may apply. Candidates for the maintenance grant must also undergo a means test, as your income must be below a certain level before the grant is awarded.
You are eligible to apply under this scheme if you:

are starting an approved course for the first time
are a mature student, who entering in order to complete (or pursue, in the case of postgraduate) an approved course at undergraduate or postgraduate level for the first time
have attended, but not completed, an approved course and are returning following a break of at least 5 years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level
have entered an approved course in Ireland prior to the academic year and are now entering an approved course outside of Ireland, for the first time.

To be eligible for a grant under this scheme, you must also fulfil the following conditions relating to residence,age,academic attainments, means and nationality
Your parents or guardians or, you yourself if you are an independent mature candidate, must have been ordinarily resident in the administrative area of the local authority from 1st October prior to applying for the grant. The local authoriy has discretion to waive this requirement in exceptional circumstances.
You must be at least 17 years of age on 1st January of the year following your application.
If you are studying abroad for the year (e.g. an Erasmus year) you will be entitled to the non-adjacent fee.
Each of these income limits can be increased by a further €4,685 for each dependent child or parent who is also attending full-time third level course. The Registration/Non-Tuition fee will be €2,000 for the first child and €1,500 for each additional child, and will be known as the ‘Student Contribution Fee’.

No. of dependent children (>23)
Full Grant, Full Registration Fee Paid
75% Grant, Full Registration Fee Paid
50% Grant, Full Registration Fee Paid
25% Grant, Full Registration Fee Paid
Exempt from SSC

Less than 4

4 to 7

8 or more

Adjacent Grants are for when you reside within 45km of the college. Non-adjacent rates are for when you reside more than 45km from the college.
Since 2011, mature students who get student grants no longer automatically qualify for the higher (non-adjacent) rate of grant.
If you are getting an unemployment, one-parent family or disability payment the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) allows you to study at second and third level without losing your benefits. You must meet certain criteria to be eligible for the BTEA. If you are studying part-time you may be able to keep your benefits under the Back to Education Programme.
Since 2010, people who are getting Back to Education Allowance and those on Post-Leaving Certificate courses who are getting VTOS allowances are not eligible for student support grants. However, this does not affect any entitlement they may have to exemption from college fees or the Student Contribution so they should still complete a grant application.
The ‘top-up’ Grant is available to persons whose own income or family income is €22,703 or less and is partly or fully composed of Welfare or similar payments (e.g. FÁS).

Maintenance Grant Payment Rate
Non-Adjacent Students (more than 45km)
Adjacent Students (less than 45km)





‘Top-Up Grant’ (incomes of €22,703 or less)

Further Allowances
When two or more children (or candidate’s parent) are attending an approved course in third-level or further education, the income limits are increased by increments as follows:

€4,980 for two children
€9,960 for three children, continuing by increments of €4,980

This is only a rough guide to the Grant and is not intended, and should not be seen as, a legal or official document outlining Grant rates and income limits for 2015/2016. For the most up to date information check out
If you think you are eligible for the student grant, you should apply for it as soon as possible. The application process for 2015/16 is now open. You do not have to wait until you receive an offer of a place or enroll in college. Only when your application has been completed in full and submitted can your eligibility be determined.

Back to Education Allowance


Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)

If you are unemployed, parenting alone or have a disability and are getting certain payments from the Department of Social Protection, you may take part in a second-or third-level education course and get a Back to Education Allowance (BTEA).

If you want to do other types of courses not covered under the BTEA, for example, personal development courses or general training courses you can return to education under the Education, Training and Development optionPart-time Education option or the Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS).

The Department of Social Protection has published Frequently Asked Questions about the scheme.

From June 2014 all new BTEA claims from jobseekers must be recommended by a DSP case officer before a decision is made on your BTEA entitlement.

Changes for 2015/16 academic year

If you were getting a jobseeker’s payment or a One-Parent Family Payment you must re-establish your entitlement to a primary payment to continue to be entitled to BTEA for the second or subsequent years of study.

Student grants

The Student Grant Scheme is divided into 2 components – maintenance grants and fee grants. You cannot get the Back to Education Allowance (BTEA) and the maintenance component of a student grant together.

Although you are not entitled to the maintenance component of the student grant, you must still submit a student grant application form to be assessed for a fee grant to pay your Student Contribution (formerly called the student services charge), field trip costs and tuition fees (if payable).

If you are getting a One-Parent Family Payment (or Jobseeker’s Allowance Transitional payment) or a disability payment (Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension or Illness Benefit) you can choose to stay on your current social welfare payment (if you continue to meet the rules of the scheme) and apply for a student grant or you can choose to transfer to the BTEA, depending on which option benefits you most. In general, people who are studying full-time are not entitled to Rent Supplement unless they are getting BTEA.


Tax Relief on Fees


You may be able to clain tax relief on tuition fees paid for approved Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses. Lists of courses and colleges approved for relief each year are published on the Revenue website

Further information is available here.

You can claim tax relief as long as you have actually paid the fees, either on your own or on behalf of another person.

You cannot claim tax relief on:

  • Registration, examination or administration fees
  • Any part of the tuition fees that is met directly or indirectly by a grant, a scholarship or otherwise, e.g.where fees are reimbursed by an employer.

To apply, collect a form from local Tax Office or download a copy from the Revenue website at

You’ll have to include the following information and/or documentation:

  • receipt from University for fees paid, indicating amount of tuition fees paid and academic year to which they relate;
  • name and address of the student;
  • title of course of study and its duration;
  • indication as to whether the course is full-time or part-time;
  • name and address of the individual who has paid the tuition fees, if not paid by the student (e.g. parent, spouse);

For more information, contact the Students’ Union Vice-President / Education Officer, or your local tax office.

The number for the Galway Tax Office is (091) 547700.
For up-to-date info check