We are Recruiting: Sin Editor
Sin Newspaper is the official Student Newspaper of NUI Galway. A fortnightly publication published by the Students’ Union, the paper includes a mix of campus news, features, sport and reviews.
Sin.ie is the online information resource of NUI Galway Students’ Union. The website will include up to date news and features and will be a comprehensive information and resource centre for NUI Galway students with regards to college and local news in particular.
The Sin Editor will be a self starter who works well with others and has particular strengths in working with, and motivating a team of volunteers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, direct and motivate a team of voluntary sub editors and writers
- Overall responsibility for sourcing newspaper and website content
- Maintain a high standard of writing in both Sin Newspaper and Sin Website
- Edit 12 issues of Sin Newspaper in conjunction with the Students’ Union
- Update Sin.ie website and social media platforms regularly with news, features etc
- Work with the Graphic Designer to ensure consistent design and layout
- Develop links with other student publications to facilitate sharing of information and resources
- Oversee distribution of Sin Newspaper across campus
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time
€500 stipend per issue
Please include the following:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- A sample proposal outlining a plan of action of how you would manage Sin Newspaper over the next academic year. This should include your plans for writer recruitment and retention, format of Sin, general promotion of Sin, and your ideas for distributing Sin for maximum readership
Applications by email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: 5:00pm Thursday 20th June 2019
Interviews: Tuesday 25th June 2019
NUI Galway Students’ Union will be supporting Galway Rape Crisis Centre and COPE Galway this year. Every year the Students’ Union selects two charities that benefit from its fundraising initiatives. This year’s fundraising events will include a pet farm visit with star of the show Kuzco the Llama in December!
Students’ Union President Megan Reilly said: “We are delighted to be supporting two very worthy charities this year. Students in NUI Galway have a very proud tradition of fundraising for charity. We hope to improve on last year’s total of €20,500 raised during the year”
Galway Rape Crisis Centre is dedicated to providing a professional, caring and confidential counselling and support service for those in our community affected by sexual abuse and sexual violence.
Cathy Connolly Executive Director of Galway Rape Crisis Centre said: “We are delighted that NUI Galway Students’ Union have chosen GRCC as one of their nominated charities for 2018/19. Many NUIG students have been part of our volunteer fundraising team in the past and we are ever grateful for the University’s continued support. This Funding will be used to offer counselling to our crisis clients, and reduce our waiting list.”
COPE Galway’s vision is for an improved quality of life in a home of your own for people affected by homelessness, women and children experiencing domestic abuse, and older people.
Sharon Fitzpatrick, Head of Development at COPE Galway commented: “COPE Galway is delighted to have been chosen as one of NUIG Student’s Union charities of the year. Funds raised will be used to extend our Rough Sleeper Street Outreach Service, which identifies and engages with people sleeping rough in Galway city, with the aim of supporting people to get off the street and to access suitable accommodation or other routes out of rough sleeping. Fundraising and donations are critical in enabling us to provide this service and we are hugely appreciative of NUIG Students’ Union for their support.”
Photos: Kuzco the llama and volunteers at last year’s charity Pet Farm Event
For more information, contact:
NUI Galway Students’ Union
Ph. 086 385 5502