NUI Galway Students’ Union has condemned the University’s decision to charge students sitting online repeat exams. Students who did not pass exams in May have the option to repeat those exams in August. A fee of €295 is usually charged to cover costs such as venue, supervisors and materials. However, next month’s repeat exams will take place online and many of those costs do not exist in an online format. The Students’ Union is calling on the University to cancel the charge for this year’s repeat exams in line with other colleges across the country.
The Students’ Union is also critical of the University charging the exam fees at a time when many students struggled with new online learning and exam formats at a time of great uncertainty. The Union has accused the University of taking advantage of the COVID-19 pandemic to generate income from exam fees.
Students’ Union President Pádraic Toomey said: “We are disgusted that the University is charging students to sit repeat exams. Students who have failed an exam will have to pay €295 for the pleasure of sitting the repeat exam in their own bedroom.”
“We are in extraordinary times where students have not had access to learning facilities like the library and face to face teaching, and many have struggled as a result. Now, the University wants to punish those students with this charge instead of following the example of other colleges which have cancelled the fee.”
For more information or to get involved in the campaign, contact:
NUI Galway Students’ Union
Ph. 086 385 5502
Sin Newspaper is the official Student Newspaper of NUI Galway. A fortnightly publication published by the Students’ Union, the paper includes a mix of campus news, features, sport and reviews.
For the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic, Sin will continue to be published as an online newspaper via ISSUU.
Sin.ie is the online information resource of NUI Galway Students’ Union. The website will include up to date news and features and will be a comprehensive information and resource centre for NUI Galway students with regards to college and local news in particular.
The Sin Editor will be a self starter who works well with others and has particular strengths in working with, and motivating a team of volunteers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, direct and motivate a team of voluntary sub editors and writers
- Overall responsibility for sourcing newspaper and website content
- Maintain a high standard of writing in both Sin Newspaper and Sin Website
- Edit 12 issues of Sin Newspaper in conjunction with the Students’ Union
- Update Sin.ie website and social media platforms regularly with news, features etc
- Work with the Graphic Designer to ensure consistent design and layout
- Develop links with other student publications to facilitate sharing of information and resources
- Oversee distribution of Sin Newspaper across campus
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time
€500 stipend per issue
Please include the following:
- Cover letter outlining your suitability for the role
- A sample proposal outlining a plan of action of how you would manage Sin Newspaper over the next academic year. This should include your plans for writer recruitment and retention, format of Sin, general promotion of Sin, and any other ideas you have.
Applications by email only to: email@example.com
Closing date: 5:00pm Wednesday 15th July 2020