Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
The Big Fat Charity Table Quiz In aid of Console and BeLonG To
7.30pm Tuesday 11thNovember in the College Bar. First Prize: €200 CASH MONEY!
Table of Four €20 – Sign up in the SU Office NOW! Limited spaces.15 Rounds of Questions compiled by the 15 SU Officers. Free finger food and Spot Prizes for Best Team Name, Best Dressed Team and some other stuff we haven’t thought of yet!
Panti Bliss Gig & Book Signing Monday 17th November €5
Join National F*&%king Treasure, Performance Legend and Accidental Activist – Panti Bliss – in her hit comedy High Heels in Low Places, as she hitches up her skirt and hitchhikes to NUI Galway this November. Panti will be glamming up the O’Flaherty Theatre on Monday 17th November at 8pm. After the show she will be signing (and selling) copies of her autobiography “Woman in the Making”.
Tickets €5 from the Students’ Union Office and the SU Engineering Desk
SU Enterprise Awards 2015 – Now Open! Deadline Fri 28th November
The SU Enterprise Awards are now accepting applications and there is a €23,000 prize fund up for grabs! If you have a great idea for a business or a social enterprise make sure you get your entry in early. Closing date for entries is 5pm Friday 28th November.
SU Life Skills Programme Update
Upcoming courses we now have spaces in this semester are:
- Child Protection Course Saturday 15th November 9.30am-1.30pm €15 – 10 Spaces Left
- ASIST Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training 2 Day Course 9am-5.30pm Thursday 20th & Friday 21st November €10 Deposit – 2 spaces left
Connacht Rugby Tickets
We now have €10 NUIG student tickets on sale for the Connacht vs Zebre match at 7.35pm on Friday 21st November. Tickets available from SU Office (Mon-Fri 10am-5pm) and SU Engineering Desk (Mon-Fri 11am-3pm).
Mature Students Officer Clinic
Please note that the SU Mature Students Officer, Michelle Mitchell, will have an open clinic every Wednesday morning 10am-12pm in the Students’ Union office every week. You can also reach her by email on firstname.lastname@example.org
Upcoming Class Reps Meetings
- Monday 10th November 6pm Science Council in AC216.
- Wednesday 12th November 6pm Health Sciences Council in MY337.
- Wednesday 12th November 6pm Arts Council in AC204.
If you have any queries about Class Reps please email Phelim on email@example.com
Date for you diaries: NUI Galway Students’ Union Christmas Day Thursday 20th November. Raising money for Console and BeLonG To.
Movember at NUI Galway
Calling all NUIG Mo Bro’s & Mo Sista’s, who doesn’t love to grow a moustache? Movember’s just started and if you have any interest in joining the NUIG team we will be glad to have you!
Find more information on the Facebook pageand even if you don’t want to get involved don’t hesitate to give us a like!
Calling all Champion Commuters!
Transport for Ireland are looking for nominations for superstars of buses, trains, trams, taxis, walking and cycling. There are some great prizes on offer and the deadline is November 17th. Best of luck. Apply here!
1pm-2pm TODAY Thursday 6th November in The Cube, Áras na Mac Léinn with The Begley Family: Breanndán Begley, Cormac Begley and Clíodhna Begley.
“Investigating the Tuam Mothers and Babies Home: A Question of Human Rights”
On Monday 10 November, the Irish Centre for Human Rights will convene a public seminar, “Investigating the Tuam Mothers and Babies Home: A Question of Human Rights”. Speakers will include Catherine Corless (keynote speaker), Kevin Higgins, Professor Michael O’Flaherty of the Irish Centre for Human Rights and Tanya Ward, Children’s Rights Alliance. The event will be chaired by Mark Kelly, Irish Council for Civil Liberties. The seminar will run from 5 to 7pm at NUI Galway MRI Annex- MRA201. All are welcome.
Have you heard about Student Health 101, the new online magazine for students, with great articles, cooking and fitness videos, and a chance to win €750?
The November issue has some great articles including:
– The job problem: How learning to lead can help you succeed
– Understanding depression: A student’s journey
– Beyond pregnancy prevention: A custom guide to birth control
– And much more…Check it out – https://readsh101.ie/nuigalway.html .
Would you like to learn how to help prevent suicide?
You are invited to apply for a place on an upcoming safeTALK suicide alertness course being held on campus. Open to students and staff.
- What is safeTALK? safeTALK prepares participants to identify persons with thoughts of suicide and connect them to suicide first aid resources. The course is free, and participants will receive a certificate of attendance. Numbers are limited.
- When is it taking place? Thursday, 13th November, 6:30 – 9:30pm
- How do I apply? Email firstname.lastname@example.org an application form and further information.
Free Help with Essays Over the Phone: A Service for All NUI Galway Distance Learners (including students of St Angela’s College)
If you are unable to come to campus, the Academic Writing Centre can still help you with your writing. Book an appointment HERE.We will phone you at the appointed time (1pm or 1.30 pm on Monday and Wednesday).
NUI Galway Science Week 10th-15th November
- With Maths? Support for Undergraduate Maths Students
- With Writing? Academic Writing Centre
- With Programming? ComputerDISC
- With Other Subjects? The SU Grinds Register
SU Charities for 2014/15 – want to help us?
For the 2014/15 academic year we will be fundraising for Console and BeLonG To. Console is a national organisation supporting people in suicidal crisis and those bereaved by suicide through professional counselling, support and helpline services. BeLongTo support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender young people in Ireland. If you want to volunteer to help out with our fundraising events or have an idea for an event please email email@example.com
Want to volunteer in India next summer?
Suas invites you to apply for the 2015 Volunteer Programme. Suas Volunteers teach English to underprivileged children for ten weeks, alongside local teachers in under-resourced communities.
Wednesday 19th November Science Ball – Physics Society
Friday 19th December Medicine Ball – Medicine Society
Wednesday 28th January 2015 Commerce Ball – Business Society
TBC Wednesday 4th February 2015 Law Ball – Law Society
Wednesday 4th February 2015 Engineering & Nursing Ball – Engineering Society
Friday 13th February Masquerade Ball – Italian Society
Tuesday 31st March 2015 Societies Awards – Societies Office
TBC 2015 Arts Ball – Cumann Staire
TBC 2015 Postgrad Ball – Micro Soc
TBC 2015 Sports Awards – Sports Unit
Run for Ger
Geraldine Lavelle, a 27-year-old NUI Galway graduate, is recovering from serious injuries sustained in a cycling accident last October. On Sunday 16th of November at 11am there will be a fundraising walk/run at NUI Galway to help raise funds for her rehabilitation. You can sign up online to take part now for just €10 here.
If you thought November in Galway was going to be quiet..think again!
- Galway Restaurant Week 3rd – 9th November
- Tulca Visual Arts Festival 7th – 23rd November
- Galway Design Week 10th – 17th November
- Galway Science & Technology Festival 10th – 23rd November
- Galway Junior Film Fleadh 12th – 15th November
- Connacht Rugby vs Zebre Friday 21st November €10 NUIG Student tickets on sale now
- Galway Christmas Market 21st November – 22nd December
- Connacht Rugby vs Scarlets Saturday 29th November
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside the College Bar and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.