August 2013

Month Archives

Passport and Visa Information

Travel Advice

Before making an travel plans always check your passport expiry date.Don’t wait until the last minute to apply for your passport. Some countries now insist that your passport be valid for at least 6 months after the start of your visit, so check the expiry date carefully. Make sure you have the correct visa if you are travelling to a country that requires one.

If you are having trouble with your passport then you contact one of the following



Ph: 01 671 1633
LoCall : 1890 426 888
Fax: 01 671 1092
Northern Ireland LoCall : 0845 8504 321

Ph: 021 494 4700
LoCall: 1890 426 900
Fax: 021 427 5770

Recorded Information Line
24 Hour Recorded Information Line Ph: 00 353 1 679 7600 or LoCall : 1890 426 800
Emergency Service
Out of hours emergency telephone number : 00 353 1 478 0822


Travel Insurance

Travel Advice

Before going away get travel insurance. Lots of banks and insurance companies provide travel insurance so shop around. When getting travel insurance, choose one that covers you for illness, injury, accidents and theft. If you are travelling in Europe, make sure you get yourself a European health insurance card, which entitles you to emergency health care in any EU member state

Non EU/EEA Students



Non-Euopean Union and non-European Econoic Area nationals who have permission to stay in the state as student are entitled to take up “casual employment” without a permit. This means up to 20 hours part-time work per week, or full-time work during vacaion periods, for the duration of your permitted stay in Ireland. Working more than this breaches your student visa conditions. The entitlement to take up employment ceases upon the expiry of your permission to remain as a student. Your being in casual employment will not, in itself, entitle you to further permission to remain.


You are sitll required to prove that you have sufficient funds when applying for a visa (if a visa is required) or when seeking leave to land upon arrival in the State, as well as when you obtain permission to remain. The expectation of any earnings from casual employment will not be taken into acount in determining whether you have sufficient funds to support yourself.


Non-EEA students who graduate from 2007 onwards with a primary, master’s or doctorate degree may be permitted to remain in Ireland for 6 months. The Third Level Graduate Scheme allows you to find employment and apply for a work permit or Green Card permit. To do this, you must be legally resident in Ireland and should apply for this 6-month extension of your student permission (stamp 2) to the local immigration registration office.




Complaints regarding breaches of your rights can be made in confidence to the Employment Rights Section, Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, Davitt House, Adelaide Rd., Dublin 2. The Department’s inspectors, who have powers to enter places of work and examine records, do not reveal without consent of the preson making the complaint, whether the insepction is a routine one or is a result of a complaint. Complaints may also be referred to a Rights Commissioner. Rights Commissioner application forms are available online at and


Flac the Free Legal Advice Centre offers free legal information clinics on a weekly basis for students who have legal queries of any kind. For more info click here

Unfair Dismissal



An unfair dismissal includes one which results from one or more of the following:


  • an employee’s trade union membership or activities, either outside working hours or at those times during working hours when permitted by the employer.
  • religious or political opinions
  • race,colour or sexual orientation
  • the age of an employee
  • an employee’s membership of the travelling community
  • legal proceedings against an employer where an employee is a part or a witness
  • unfair selection for redundancy.
  • an employee’s pregnancy, attendance at ante-natal classes, giving birth or breastfeeding or any matter connected therewith.




If you have been in continuous employment for at least 13 weeks, you will be obliged to provide your employer with one week’s notice of termination of employment. However, if you have agreed in a contract to give a greater amount of notice, you will go by the amount specified in the contract. the length of notice to which an employee is entitled varies according to length of service. if it is between thirteen weeks and two years, notice of one week must be given.




Employees are entitled to a 15-minute break after 4.5 hours have been worked, and a 30 minute break when a total of 6 hours have been worked. Payment for breaks is not a statutory entitlement. Sixteen and seventeen year olds must receive a 30 minutes break if working more than 4.5 hours. They must receive 2 days off in every 7, which shall, as far as is practicable, be consecutive. They may not work more than 8 hours a day and may not work before 06:00 or after 22:00.




As a part-time or casual employee, you earn holidays at the rate of 8% of hours worked, up to a maximum of four working weeks in a year. If not already included in the rate of pay, employees are generally entitled to paid time off in lieu or a premium payment for sunday working. To earn Public Holiday Pay you must have worked a total of 40 hours over a five-week period ending immediately before the public holiday to qualify.



An employee who has any work experience in any two years since turning age 18 is entitled to €8.65 per hour. Employees who are in their first year of employment since turning 18 are entitled to €6.92 per hour. Employees who are in their second year of employment since turning 18 are entitled to €7.79 per hour. Employees who are under 18 years of age are entitled to €6.06 per hour. From 1 February 2011 the national minimum wage rate is reduced by €1 to €7.65 per hour. This reduced rate will not apply to existing employees as a reduction in their wages would be a change to their terms and conditions of employment.

You are entitled to receive a pay slip with every payment of wages. This pay slip should show: gross wage, the nature and amount of each deduction. An employer may deduct the following from an employee’s wage: any deduction required or authorized by law (e.g. PAYE or PRSI), any deduction authorised by the terms of an employee’s contract (e.g. pension contributions, or particular till shortages), or any deduction agreed to in writing in advance by the employee.

Accommodation Checklist


Is it convenient? Check bus routes, local shops, laundrettes, etc. Always walk from the house to college to see how long it really takes. A drive in mammy’s car will always seem shorter than a walk of twenty minutes in the pouring rain. How is the house heated? What will it cost to heat? How is the ESB and GAS (if applicable) paid – meter or bill? Check meter readings – any arrears?

Inside the house

  • Is the lighting sufficient for studying?
  • Are all electrical appliances in working order?
  • Is there a smoke detector? Fire extinguisher, escape route?
  • Are the bathroom facilities adequate? Ventilated, etc?
  • Are there enough kitchen utensils, is the kitchen ventilated?
  • Look for dampness – check the cupboards!
  • Access to rubbish disposal arrangements?


  • Do the neighbourhood and the walk home appear safe?
  • Are there public phones nearby?
  • Is there a secure place for bicycles and/or parking?
  • Are the doors and windows secure, and who has access to the keys?

Ask landlord/landlady

  • Terms of tenancy agreement – don’t sign until you’re sure
  • When you pay a deposit, make sure you get a receipt
  • Will payment be monthly or weekly & what does it cover, e.g. electricity, heat, etc.?
  • Ensure that the property has a BER (Building Energy Rating). For more information check
  • You are entitled by law to a rent book, so ask for one. If they won’t give you one, then the Students’ Union will – for free!
  • Establish when the landlord can enter the house. You are entitled to quiet possession nobody can enter your house uninvited including the landlord/lady
  • Ask for an inventory of what is in the house and get your landlord to co-sign it with you and keep a copy
  • Get the name, address and contact phone number of your landlord/lady or his/her agent for emergencies
  • Clarify which repairs will be the responsibility of the landlord/lady

Further Queries

Should you have any further queries, feel free to contact one of the following:

Students’ Union Welfare Officer, NUI Galway

NUI Galway Accommodation Office, Áras Uí Chathail, Tel: (091) 492760

Threshold, 3 Victoria Place, Merchants Rd., Galway. Tel: (091) 563080 or email