SU Weekly Email 9 – 25th October 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
No Student Leap Cards TOMORROW
Heads up if you’re travelling this weekend – we won’t be able to print Student Leap Cards this Friday 26th October due to system maintenance. Get in to us before 5pm TODAY if you need a new card and don’t forget to apply online for your code first.
Road Safety Authority Interactive Shuttle + Roll-Over Simulator
- Practice your driving and hazard perception skills on our simulators (car, motorbike, bicycle)
- Take part in the roll-over simulation which demonstrates how it would feel if you were in a car which turned over in a collision.
- Practice the driver theory test.
- Practice safe cycling skills on our state of the art bicycle simulator
- See how driving environments and speed affect your braking distances on the brake reaction timer.
- Free High Vis Items in SU
- Free Temporary Bike Lights in SU – while stocks last
Find Out What Your SU Officers Are Doing for You!
Click HERE to read their Officer Reports and Minutes from Executive Meetings.
- First Aid Responder 3 Day Course – 2 spaces left
- Disclosure Training – 6 spaces left
- Cardiac First Responder Course – 10 spaces left
- Anti-Racism Training Course – 12 spaces left
- Child Protection Training Course – 15 spaces left
- 7pm-9pm Screening of “Free CeCe” with GigSoc in the Áras Uí Chathail Lecture Theatre
- STAND 8×8 Festival Outdoor Photo Exhibition outside the Library.
Our Big Fat Charity Table Quiz in aid of Galway Rape Crisis Centre and COPE Galway is on at 7.30pm Tuesday 13th November at Sult. Table of 4 €20 – Sign up in the SU Office in advance – spaces limited! 10 Rounds of Questions Compiled by Your SU Officers. Great prizes, FREE Finger Food, Spot Prizes for best team name, best dressed team and some other stuff we haven’t thought of yet!
The deadline to apply for the SUSI grant is Thursday 1st of November
Applications are open for the NUI Galway Explore Programme until 20th of Nov. Staff and students across campus are invited to apply online for up to €900 funding for their collaborative projects.
This is a series of FREE events in Galway to celebrate 200 years since the publication of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Apply for your free tickets at the following links:
- 5pm Tuesday 30th October Movie Screening
- 6pm Wednesday 31st October Staged Readings
- 7pm Thursday 1st November Public Lecture
Help an NUIG Student Win UN Climate Change Competition
Anna Golden, a 1st-year Financial Maths & Economics student, has made a video on Zero Waste which is one of 20 videos shortlisted in the category of responsible production & consumption for the UN Climate Change, Global Youth Competition. The video with the most views by this Sunday 28th of October will be declared the winner. So please watch her video here.
Final Year Business Information System Need Your Help
They would like you to complete a quick online survey based on an idea they have for a university app. The app includes features such as university map, accommodation help, group project planner, chat forums etc. No personal data is used and all the results are confidential. Please click on this link to complete the survey.
Research shows that having a postgraduate course can increase your earning potential and that your career progression greatly increases after you obtain a postgrad qualification. Furthermore it can enhance your employability. Statistics from the Careers Service Graduate Destinations Report indicate that 64% of NUI Galway undergraduates are in employment nine months after graduation. This rises to 87% for postgraduates. Come along to find out about all the taught and research options on offer, including scholarships.
International Student Forum 2018
The Irish Council for International Students and the Union of Students in Ireland invite you to attend their International Student Forum 5pm-7pm on Wednesday 14th November in Meeting Rooms 1 & 2, Áras na Mac Léinn. Free pizza and tea/coffee provided. Please register by emailing email@example.com
Survey: Let’s Talk about Sex!
Students from the M.Sc. in Health Economics programme are on a daring quest to collect the right data about safe and healthy sexual behaviour and its importance in an awareness-raising context. Their target audience is everyone who studies here at NUI Galway. This survey will only takes 2 minutes at the following Link.
NUI Galway in conjunction with Team Hope are collecting shoeboxes for their annual Christmas shoebox appeal from now until the 6th of November. Shoeboxes can be dropped at the NUIG Chaplaincy, 6 Distillery Road. Please feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any further information.
Girls Into Geoscience Free Event
Girls into Geoscience Ireland returns 10am-4pm Saturday 10th of November. This free one day event introduces female early stage university undergraduates to Earth Sciences and demonstrates the world of careers available to geoscience graduates today. Book your FREE place now.
- 8.10am-8.50am Tuesdays in AC201 Mindfulness for Beginners Class
- 1.10pm-1.50pm Wednesdays in AC202 Mindfulness Shared Practice
5.10pm-5.50pm Thurs 1st Nov in AC215 Mindfulness and Mental Health with Nick Williams
The event aims to raise awareness of the variety of athletic activities available to girls and women of all ages.
Sound good? Want to know more or get involved? Contact email@example.com
Are you affected by a family member’s gambling problem?
If so, help is available 8pm Monday 5th November at Ozanam House, St. Augustine Street, Galway. No admission fee. More information.
Connacht Rugby vs Dragons Tickets
Use the Code “NUIG-Dra-1819” to get discounted tickets online for the Connacht Rugby vs Dragons match 5.15pm Saturday 3rd of November. Limited to first 50 NUIG Students.
Please note we won’t be getting discount codes for Leinster, Munster or Ulster matches.
October Bank Holiday Arrangements
- The SU Office, SU Engineering Desk, Sult, the Student Health Unit, Smokey’s Café, Caife na Gaeilge and the SU Shop will all be closed this Monday 29th of October for the Bank Holiday.
- The Wall Café is open 11am-3pm on Monday 29th of October.
- The Library is open Saturday 8.30am-5.30pm, Sunday 10am-5.30pm and closed on Monday.
- The Reading Room is open as usual 7am-2.30am Saturday, Sunday & Monday.
- For Computer Suite availability check here
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm.