SU Weekly Email 32 – 10th May 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your last weekly email this year from your Students’ Union! We hope you have a great summer and the weekly email will be back in September.
Just a quick reminder that your locker must be cleared out before 5pm on Friday 18th of May. We have over 3,200 lockers so we can’t “mind” your property until you get back from your holidays. Everything will be dumped, recycled or donated to charity. All keys (please leave the pad lock on the locker) must be dropped up to the Students’ Union office in Áras na Mac Léinn. We’re open Monday – Friday 10am – 5pm. Any lockers with deposits (Áras Moyola and IT Building) will only be refunded from the Students’ Union office in Áras na Mac Léinn.
NUI Galway Students’ Union most strongly condemns the planned increases to Cúirt na Coiribe student accommodation rent for the academic year 2018/19.
How To Get Involved in the campaign against #CúirtShakedown
- Sign the petition here
- Use #CúirtShakedown on social media to say no to the exploitation of NUI Galway Students
- Email email@example.com to help out with the campaign
We Are Hiring!
Applications are now open for the position of Sin newspaper Editor for 2018/19. Closing date for applications is 5pm Monday 11th June. More details here.
Our Life Skills Courses will be back for the 2018/19 academic year offering a chance to further your development outside of the academic world through classes in areas such as:
Sign Language, First Aid, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, Bar Skills, Self Defence, Anti-Racism Training, Disclosure Training and Yoga.
Registration will open in late summer.
- Undergrad Exam Results will be released between Tues 19th and Tues 26th June.
- Postgrad Exam Results will be released Tues 3rd July.
- The Repeat/Autumn Exam timetable will be published on Thurs 12th July.
- Repeat Exams will take place Tues 7th – Fri 17th Aug.
- Undergraduate Repeat Exam Results will be out Fri 31st Aug.
- Postgraduate Repeat Exam Results will be out Tues 11th Sept.
Staying in Galway this summer?
Here’s our guide to what’s on to keep you busy until September! There’s loads of festivals, events and free stuff to do with plenty of volunteering opportunities too.
Want to get rid of unwanted items when you’re clearing out at the end of the semester?
Rover Society are doing a collection of:
Duvets, duvet covers, blankets, sleeping bags, clean clothes (in good shape), accessories, CDs, DVDs, and books. (Pillows are not being collected).
All of these will go to COPE Galway and the Irish Cancer Society.
They will be collecting from the Student Residences on Wednesday 16th May and from NUIG Campus drop-off points from Monday 7th to Friday 19th May.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Just a quick reminder that you must collect any book belonging to you which are still in the SU Second-hand Bookstore before 4.30pm Thursday 31st of May. We cannot keep the books for you over the summer and any books which have not been collected by this date will be given away for free.
The Undergraduate Awards is the world’s leading undergraduate awards programme which recognises top undergraduate work, shares this work with a global audience and connects students across cultures and disciplines.
The programme is open to all penultimate and final year undergraduate students in a degree course, as well as those who graduated in 2017, from all disciplines. We invite students to enter both outstanding academic papers and research, as well as visual arts portfolios using our online forms. The deadline for the 2018 programme is Tuesday 12th June 2018. Global Winners are published in the annual ‘The Undergraduate Journal’, as well as being invited to the UA Global Summit in Dublin, Ireland.
Together For Yes Fundraisers & Events
- 8pm Tonight Norma Rae Screening at Teach Solais
- 1pm-3pm Friday Everyday Stories Listening Workshop in The Space Áras na Mac Léinn
- 6.30pm Friday Stand Up for yes at Electric
- 10am Saturday Skate to Repeal the 8th on the Prom with Galway City Roller Derby
- 2pm Saturday Big Busk for Yes at the Spanish Arch
Extra Study Space
There will be extra study space available 9am-9pm until Thursday 17th of May in the following venues:
- O’Flaherty Theatre
- Kirwan Theatre
- Larmor Theatre
- Tyndall Theatre
- Darcy Thompson Theatre
Give Blood in Galway this May
- 5pm-8.30pm Tues 15th May Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Weds 16th May Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Thurs 17th May Clybaun Hotel
- 12pm-3.30pm Sun 20th May Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Tues 22nd May Menlo Park Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Weds 23rd May Menlo Park Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Thurs 24th May Menlo Park Hotel
Learn How To Walk the Tightrope!
If you’ve ever dreamed of running away with the circus Wires Crossed is one of the Galway 2020 projects that will be taking place over the summer teaching people to walk the tightrope. The aim is to have 400 people trained by 2020. Sign up here.
Irish Interdisciplinary Forum for Healthcare Are Recruiting
There are seven positions to be filled on their national executive team for the 2018/2019 academic year. If you are interested in applying email a short paragraph to email@example.com
NUI Galway Summer Holiday Arrangements 2018
- The SU Office will be open Monday-Friday 10am-12.30pm & 2pm-4.30pm from Monday 21st of May. The SU Office will BE CLOSED Mon 4th June and Mon 6th Aug (Bank Holidays)
- The Student Health Unit will only see current Postgrad students from Monday 28th of May and remains an acute illness service. Opening hours during the summer: 09:30am-12:30pm & 2.30pm-4.30pm Mon-Fri. Nurse available 10am-12pm & 2.30pm-4.30pm. Closed Monday 4th June and Monday 6th August (Bank Holidays)
- The Library opening hours are available here.
- Sult will be open 8.30am-6pm Mon-Fri. Closed Mon 4th June and Mon 6th August.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- Computer Suites – check availability here.
- The SU Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 18th May.
- The SU Engineering desk will close at 3pm on Fri 18th May and will reopen in September.
- SUMS, The Academic Writing Centre and Computer DISC are all now closed for the summer.
- Teaching begins on Monday 10th of September for all years.
- The academic calendar for 2018/19 is available here.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm during term.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pmduring term