SU Weekly Email 31 – 3rd May 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Just a quick reminder that your locker must be cleared out before 5pm on Friday 18th of May. We have over 3,200 lockers so we can’t “mind” your property until you get back from your holidays. Everything will be dumped, recycled or donated to charity. All keys (please leave the padlock on the locker) must be dropped up to the Students’ Union office in Áras na Mac Léinn. We’re open Monday – Friday 10am – 5pm. Any lockers with deposits (Áras Moyola and IT Building) will only be refunded from the Students’ Union office in Áras na Mac Léinn.
- Check, double check and triple check your timetable NOW! Every year we have students who read their timetable wrong and end up missing an exam – don’t be that guy!
2. Find your College ID and bring it with you to every exam. If you have lost it call to the Student Information Desk to get a new one for €20. You will be fined €30 if you don’t have your ID with you.
3. Plan how you are getting to the exams NOW and set all your alarms. You need to be there 20 minutes prior to the start of the examination so that’s: 09:10 for a 09:30 exam, 12:40 for a 13:00 exam and 16:10 for a 16:30 exam.
4. Leave your phone at home – it’s a €20 fine for bringing your phone to the exam AND other penalties can include mark reduction and getting zero marks for the module. iWatches are also not permitted at exams.
5. WASH! If you even have your shopping list written on your hand scrub it off. If you have any writing on your body, no matter how unrelated to the exam, you’ll fail the exam and have to repeat.
6. Follow the directions of the Exam Invigilators at all times.
7. If you need advice on deferring your exams please contact the SU Education Officer, Andrew Forde on firstname.lastname@example.org or your College Office.
8. You can’t bring in pencil cases, glasses cases or calculator covers to the exam.
9. You can’t leave the Exam Venue for the first hour or the last 30 mins of the exam
10. Relax – you got this!
Voter Registration Deadline Tuesday 8th May
The deadline to register to vote in the upcoming referendum is Tuesday the 8th of May. Here’s a handy guide to making sure that you can vote in the referendum on Friday 25th of May. You can collect voter registration forms in the SU – these need to be stamped by the Gardaí posted to your city/county council by Friday! http://www.youth.ie/vote
Want to get rid of unwanted items when you’re clearing out at the end of the semester?
Rover Society are doing a collection of:
Duvets, duvet covers, blankets, sleeping bags, clean clothes (in good shape), accessories, CDs, DVDs, and books. (Pillows are not being collected).
All of these will go to COPE Galway and the Irish Cancer Society.
They will be collecting from the Student Residences on Wednesday 16th May and from NUIG Campus drop-off points from Monday 7th to Friday 19th May.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
- Undergrad Exam Results will be released between Tues 19th and Tues 26th June.
- Postgrad Exam Results will be released Tues 3rd July.
- The Repeat/Autumn Exam timetable will be published on Thurs 12th July.
- Repeat Exams will take place Tues 7th – Fri 17th Aug.
- Undergraduate Repeat Exam Results will be out Fri 31st Aug.
- Postgraduate Repeat Exam Results will be out Tues 11th Sept.
Just a quick reminder that you must collect any book belonging to you which are still in the SU Second-hand Bookstore before 4.30pm Thursday 31st of May. We cannot keep the books for you over the summer and any books which have not been collected by this date will be given away for free.
Extra Study Space
There will be extra study space available 9am-9pm until Thursday 17th of May in the following venues:
- O’Flaherty Theatre
- Kirwan Theatre
- Larmor Theatre
- Tyndall Theatre
- Darcy Thompson Theatre
Extended Library Opening Hours This Weekend
Thanks to the library staff who have agreed to facilitate extended weekend opening hours again on following weekends:
- 5th/6th May
The library will be open Saturdays 8.30am-9pm & Sundays 10am-9pm on these weekends.
Study Break Policy Back in Library
Remember if you leave your belongings unattended at a study desk for more than 1 hour other students have permission to move them to one side and use the space. Please use the “I’m taking a study break” sheets in the library to record the time you leave and come back within the hour!
May Bank Holiday Arrangements
- The SU Office, SU Engineering Desk, Sult and the Student Health Unit will all be closed this Monday 7th of May for the Bank Holiday.
- Smokey’s Café is open 10am-6pm Saturday, Sunday & Monday
- The SU Shop is open 10am-5pm Saturday, Sunday & Monday
- The Wall Café is open 9am-3pm Saturday, 11am-3pm Sunday & Monday.
- The Library is open Saturday 8.30am-9pm, Sunday 10am-9pm & Monday 8.30am-10pm.
- The Reading Room is open as usual 7am-2.30am Saturday, Sunday & Monday
- For Computer Suite availability check here
Give Blood in Galway this May
- 12pm-3.30pm Sun 13th May Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Tues 15th May Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Weds 16th May Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Thurs 17th May Clybaun Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Tues 22nd May Menlo Park Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Weds 23rd May Menlo Park Hotel
- 5pm-8.30pm Thurs 24th May Menlo Park Hotel
Win a ‘Sold Secure’ Gold/Silver Standard bike lock
One of the best ways to prove ownership of your bike, if it’s stolen, is to have a record of its serial number and a photo of you with your bike. Smarter Travel Campus want to help motivate you to do this by offering you a chance to win a ‘Sold Secure’ Gold/Silver standard bike lock.
All you need to do to enter is fill in the form below and send a photo of you with your bike and your bike’s serial number to firstname.lastname@example.org
At a Loose End? Here’s some Short Term Volunteer Opportunities
- COPE Galway – Sat 5th May (Dunnes Stores)
- COPE Galway – Sat 12th May
- Galway Rape Crisis Centre – Fri 1st June
- Croi Heart Foundation – Sun 10th June (Race Marshal Help)
All your hours count towards next year’s ALIVE Certificate award ceremony
Upcoming Together For Yes Fundraising Events
Funding Opportunity – Galway Bike Week – Deadline 12noon this Friday 4th May
Galway City Council and Galway County Council invite applications from organisations wishing to host a cycling event/initiative during Galway Bike Festival which takes place as part of National Bike Week, from Saturday 9th of June to Sunday 17th June 2018. Galway Bike Festival is all about celebrating and promoting cycling for transport, getting people back on their bikes and raising awareness around the health and lifestyle benefits of everyday cycling.
Funding will be made available to support local cycling events and activities as part of the Galway Bike Festival celebrations.
See https://www.facebook.com/Galway-Bike-Festival-123664367709106/ for ideas from the 2017 festival.
For applications please go to
Galway City Council: www.galwaycity.ie or
Galway County Council: www.galway.ie
Sin Issue 12
The last issue of Sin newspaper for this year is now out and available to read online here. Well done to Sorcha, Shannon and all the Sin team on a great year of the paper.
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm during term.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm during term (Thursday 12pm-3pm)