SU Weekly Email 29 – 6th April 2017Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
Grant Applications Open
SUSI is NOW OPEN for applications for the 2017-18 academic year for new and renewal students. Apply online here.
Extra Study Space Available 8am-10pm on following dates:
Mon 3rd – Sun 9th April Study Week
O’Flaherty Theatre, Kirwan Theatre, Tyndall Theatre, Anderson Theatre
Mon 24th April – Weds 10th May
O’Flaherty Theatre, Kirwan Theatre, Tyndall Theatre, Anderson Theatre
Connacht Tickets LAST HOME GAME THIS YEAR
We now have €15 NUIG student tickets on sale for the final Connacht Rugby home match this season against Scarlets at 19:35 on Saturday the 29th of April. On sale in the SU Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm.
Easter Holiday Arrangements
- The SU Office will close at 5pm on Wednesday 12th of April and will reopen at 10am on Wednesday 19th of April.
- The SU Cloakroom will close at 5pm on Friday 7th of April and will reopen at 9am on Friday 28th of April.
- The SU Engineering Desk will close at 2pm on Friday 7th of April and will reopen at 11am on Monday 24th of April.
- The Library will be open as usual with reduced hours on Friday 14th April 10am-6pm and Monday 17th April 10am-6pm.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will close at 4.30pm on Wednesday 12th of April and will reopen at 9.15am on Wednesday 19th of April.
- The Academic Writing Centre is now closed until October.
- SUMS will be closed Monday April 10th-Friday 21st April
- Sult will be closed from Thursday 13th April and will reopen at 8.30am on Tuesday 18th April.
- The SU Shop will be closed from Friday 14th April and will reopen on Tuesday 18th April.
- Smokey’s Café will be closed from Friday 14th April and will reopen on Tuesday 18th April.
- The Wall Café will be open 9am-3pm Friday 14th & Saturday 15th April. Closed Sunday 16th April. Open 11am-3pm Bank Holiday Monday 17th April.
- Caife na Gaeilge will be closed from Friday 7th April and will reopen on Tuesday 18th April.
Return your locker keys!
Just a quick reminder that your locker must be cleared out before 5pm on Tuesday 16th May 2017. We have over 3,200 lockers so we can’t “mind” your property until you get back from your holidays. Everything will be dumped, recycled or donated to charity. All keys must be dropped up to the Students’ Union Office in Áras na Mac Léinn.
Lockers will be available to purchase on our website from 10am on Monday 28th August 2017 for the 2017/18 term.
The University bookshop has closed down but the SU Second-hand bookshop is still open for business.
You can browse our stock HERE and then call to the SU Office to pay for and collect your books.
Postgraduate Scholarships for PhD Candidates
Applications are now open postgraduate scholarships to support full-time research for PhD candidates of the College of Arts, Social Sciences, and Celtic Studies. Closing date is Tues, April 18th at 5pm. Application Details.
NUI Galway ALIVE Student Volunteering Certificates are now available for collection from our office upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn 10am-5pm Monday-Friday
We now have a Student Leap Card Reader Machine in the SU Office!
This means you can:
- Check your Student Leap Card credit by scanning your card.
- Collect credit you have purchased online. If you choose ‘Payzone’ as your collection point when topping up online, you can drop in to us, tap the reader and collect your credit on-campus.
- See details about your recent top-ups (Date, Time and Amount)
- See details of your Auto-top-Up settings if you are utilising this online facility.
Our office is open Monday-Friday 10am-5pm upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn. It costs €10 to get a Student Leap Card from us and we take your photo and print the card off straight away.
FREE Cloakroom Open Tomorrow
The SU free cloakroom will be open tomorrow 9am-5pm and is located next to the SU XL Shop. The SU Engineering desk will be closed tomorrow – for any queries please call to the SU office.
March for Science – Saturday 22nd April in Dublin
The March for Science will occur on Earth Day, Saturday 22nd April, 2017 in Dublin. The aims of the March for Science are to stand up for science literacy, science communication, stable funding for scientific research, and government policy that is informed by science. Buses have been organised to transport marchers from Galway to Dublin and tickets can be bought for €15 in the Students’ Union at NUIG (from tomorrow) or can be ordered through We the People – Ireland.
PhD Write-Up Bursaries
A limited number of write-up bursaries are being offered to address the problems being encountered by PhD students who are near to completing their theses yet who find themselves, for whatever reason, without funding.
The closing date for completed applications is 17:00 Tuesday, 11 April 2017. The application form & Terms and Conditions is available here.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: NUI Galway/Galway International Arts Festival Selected Programme
Applications are being sought from suitably qualified NUI Galway students to participate in the SELECTED strand of this year’s Galway International Arts Festival (GIAF), which runs in Galway from 17-30 July 2017.
The SELECTED programme will see a strictly limited number of NUI Galway students join other young Irish and international artists and producers in a unique initiative which gives full access to many aspects of the Festival. This two-week whirlwind academy offers students the opportunity to see how a Festival of this magnitude is put together by offering intimate meetings with Festival organisers, international and Irish producers, and artists.
To apply, please send an email (max 500 words) outlining how you would contribute to and benefit from the SELECTED programme to Patrick.Lonergan@nuigalway.ie
Closing date for applications is 5 p.m. on Wednesday 17 April 2017, with decisions by the end of April
7.30pm Wednesday 12th of April a variety night where researchers become comedians and you can furrow your brow before laughing your face off.
LGBT+ Migrants Survey
AMACH! LGBT and Galway City Partnership are working together to try to determine the real needs of LGBT+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, plus) migrants in Galway city and county.
Please complete the following survey.
Green Leaf Grant Scheme
Do you have a project or initiative that could help to increase environmental awareness in Galway City? If so you may qualify for financial assistance from the European Green Leaf Grant Scheme.
Projects should focus on environmental awareness and actions that complement national environmental policies such as those on: Waste Management; Biodiversity & Land Use; Water & Wastewater; Climate Change; Energy Performance; Mobility & Transport; Acoustics & Noise; Air Quality; Green Economy & Jobs; Resource Efficiency.
The NUIG Health Unit Free STI Clinics have now finished for this semester
The FREE STI Clinic at University College Hospital Galway is open all year round and you can phone them on 091- 525200 to make an appointment.
Opening hours are:
- Monday by appointment only 2pm-5.45pm
- Wednesday Morning “Walk in Clinic”* from 9am
- Friday 9am-10am by appointment only. 10am onward “walk in clinic”*
*”Walk in Clinics” – no appointment necessary. Clinic operates on a “first come first served” basis with a maximum quota that can be seen at any one clinic. Clinic opens 15 minutes before appointed time, i.e. 8.45am and 13.45pm
The Clinic is Located in a self-contained building to left of main hospital. As you enter hospital, take first left, follow signs for Genitourinary Medicine Clinic, Infectious Diseases and Hepatology – in front of maternity services.
Monday massage continues as usual next week but it’s changed to Wednesday the following week (19th April) because of the Bank Holiday.
#MondayMassage offers treatments at an affordable rate to NUI Galway staff and students. Choose from acupuncture, massage, physical therapy and shiatsu. Book yourself in for a treatment, your body will thank you for it! Student rate 30 min €20, 1 hour €30. Staff rate 30 min €30, 1 hour €50. Call or txt Mick on 086 837 8589 to book.
Want to get involved with Galway Fringe Festival this summer?
Head to their volunteer information meeting 2pm Saturday 15th of April. More Information.
Applications now open for Suas summer student training programme
- The Ideas Collective: A fun and hands-on way to get your idea for social or environmental change off the ground. Taking place over three weekends (June-August) with workshops and support from experienced change makers and mentors.
- 8×8 Festival: Learn how to design, develop and deliver a film and photography festival on your campus. The 8×8 Festival is a great way for you to meet new people, gain new skills and find out more about important global issues.
- Stand.ie: People in Ireland and all over the world are standing up for justice and equality – and you can help us tell their stories! Become a Stand.ie contributor and join a network of people dedicated to making change happen.
Library Study Break Policy In Operation
The Library Study Break Policy will be in operation until Wednesday 10th May. If you are taking a break use one of the “I’m taking a study break” sheets to mark what time you are leaving. Remember if you leave your belongings unattended at a desk for more than 1 hours other students have permission to move them and take your space.
On Thursday the 4th of May four cases of gender discrimination in NUI Galway will come before the High Court in Dublin. A demonstration will take place in support of the four women. The Students’ Union is organising a bus for students who wish to attend. Bus departs Galway at 9am on Thursday 4th May and will be back in Galway at approximately 4pm.
Tickets are €2, and are available from the Students’ Union Office Monday-Friday 10am-5pm. NUI Galway Student ID Required.
Exam Results and Repeats
Exam Results will be released online between Tuesday 15th and Friday 23rd of June. Autumn exams are scheduled to take place from Tuesday 8th and Friday 18th of August.
Our office is upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Thursday 11am-3pm and Friday 11am-2pm.