SU Weekly Email 27 – 22nd March 2018Weekly Email
Welcome to your weekly email from your Students’ Union.
#NUIGSU18 Nominations are open!
Nominations for the 14 SU Part Time Officer Positions are now open. You can pick up a nomination form in the SU Office or on our website just make sure to get it back to the box in the SU Office before 5pm on Wednesday 28th of March! The elections will take place 10am-8pm on Thursday 12th of April.
- Oifigeach na Gaeilge
- Societies’ Chairperson
- Clubs’ Captain
- Postgraduate Taught Officer
- Postgraduate Research Officer
- 5 x College Convenors
- Mature Students’ Officer
- International Students Officer
- Gender and LGBT+ Rights Officer
- Disability Rights Officer
6pm-9pm TONIGHT in Meeting Rooms 1 & 2, Áras na Mac Léinn. No previous canvassing experienced required!
There will be a second round of canvassing training 7pm-10pm Thursday 29th of March.
FREE Rapid HIV Test Clinic 2pm-4pm TODAY
AIDS West will be running the free rapid HIV Test clinic at NUIG 2pm-4pm TODAY Thursday 22nd of March in Meeting Rooms 1&2 upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn.
Here’s what to expect and there’s no appointment necessary:
- Call in to Meeting Rooms 1 & 2 upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn
2. Test explained and opportunity for Q&A
3. Finger prick to get blood sample (tiny amount)
4. Sample tested & result in 30 seconds
Get your J1 sorted 4pm-5pm this Tuesday 27th March in The View upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn with Camp Leaders Ireland.
To get involved with the paper email Sorcha on email@example.com
We now have NUIG student tickets for Connacht Rugby vs Edinburgh 7.35pm on Friday 23rd March on sale for €20 in the SU.
Monday is Deadline for ALIVE Certificate Applications
To earn your award for volunteering from the President of NUI Galway please log in with your student ID and password and complete the online reflection application at www.yourspace.nuigalway.ie
Any hours you logged with a charity at www.studentvolunteer.ie will be transferred to your application on yourspace.nuigalway.ie (both websites will talk to each other!)
Save the dates! Applications are due Monday 26th March and the Ceremony with the President is at 11am on Tuesday 10th April.
- PHOTONICS European Challenger Project – Time to Replicate. Prize for best group + individual project email: Sean O’Gorman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arduino Thursday: Commencing 11am-1pm Thurs 22nd March Arduino Experimenting
- Raspberry Tuesday: Commencing 11am-1pm Tues 27th March Raspberry Pi Experimenting
- With Writing – The Academic Writing Centre
- With Maths – SUMS
- With Computer Programming – Computer DISC
- With Anything – The SU Grinds Register
At Blackstone Launchpad Next Week
12.45pm-1.45pm Weds 28th March in Blackstone Launchpad: InnovateHER Series: Talk by Kelsey Roberts from TechInnovate.
More information on our facebook: @launchpadnuig
To enter you need to research topics or share your personal experiences and create either: a short video, an audio podcast, a news article or a poster.
The themes are:
- Club drugs – what are the risks?
- Performance and Image Enhancing Drugs – what are the risks?
The deadline is the 9th of April 2018
National Conference: Students Living With Disabilities
The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) are proud to partner with AHEAD (Association for Higher Education Access & Disability) to organise the ‘National Conference: Students Living With Disabilities’. Attendance is free and this event is open to any member of USI who identifies as living with a disability. The event will take place 10am-5.30pm Thursday, 29th March in the Gibson Hotel in Dublin.
- Teaching ends on Sat 24th of March for the Easter Holidays and teaching resumes Mon 9th April.
- Field Trips (where applicable) take place Mon 26th March – Thurs 29th March.
- The Students’ Union Office will close at 5pm on Weds 28th March and will reopen at 10am on Weds 4th April.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will close at 3pm on Fri 23rd March and reopen at 11am on Mon 9th April.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 23rd March and reopen at 9am on Thurs 12th April.
- The Students’ Union Shop will be closed Fri 30th March-Mon 2nd April inclusive and will re-open Tues 3rd April.
- Sult will be open as normal.
- Caifé na Gaeilge will close on Fri 23rd March and will re-open Mon 9th April.
- Smokey’s Café will be closed Fri 30th March-Mon 2nd April inclusive and will re-open Tues 3rd April
- The Wall Café will be open 9am-3pm on Fri 30th March & Sat 31st March. Closed Sun 1st April and open 11am-3pm Mon 2nd April.
- The James Hardiman Library will be closed Fri 30th March to Mon 2nd April inclusive.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will be closed Thurs 29th March to Tues 3rd April inclusive. They will re-open at 9.15am on Weds 4th April.
- SUMS will be closed from Monday 26th March until Friday 6th April.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with a new issue on Tues 10th April.
- Flirt FM Mon 26th March- Fri 30th March On Air 11.30am-4am (Office open 11am-6pm), Sat 31st March-Sun 8th April Spring Break (Studios bookable on request), Mon 9th April-Fri 20th April On Air 11.30am-4am Weekdays (Office open 11am-6pm)
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE
You can contact the Students’ Union by email to email@example.com with any questions or suggestions you may have. You can also like or follow us on Facebook Instagram Snapchat (@nuigsu) and Twitter.
Our office is located upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building beside Sult and we are open Monday to Friday 10am-5pm during term.
Our reception desk in the Engineering Building foyer is open Monday – Friday 11am-3pm during term (Thursday 12pm-3pm)