Sin Newspaper is the official Student Newspaper of NUI Galway. A fortnightly publication published by the Students’ Union, the paper includes a mix of campus news, features, sport and reviews.
Sin.ie is the online information resource of NUI Galway Students’ Union. The website will include up to date news and features and will be a comprehensive information and resource centre for NUI Galway students with regards to college and local news in particular.
The Sin Editor will be a self starter who works well with others and has particular strengths in working with, and motivating a team of volunteers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, direct and motivate a team of voluntary sub editors and writers.
- Overall responsibility for sourcing newspaper and website content
- Maintain a high standard of writing in both Sin Newspaper and Sin Website
- Edit 12 issues of Sin Newspaper in conjunction with the Students’ Union
- Update Sin.ie website and social media platforms regularly with news, features etc
- Work with the Graphic Designer to ensure consistent design and layout
- Develop links with other student publications to facilitate sharing of information and resources
- Oversee distribution of Sin Newspaper across campus
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time
€500 stipend per issue.
Please include the following:
- Cover letter
- A sample proposal outlining a plan of action of how you would manage Sin Newspaper over the next academic year. This should include your plans for writer recruitment and retention, format of Sin, general promotion of Sin, and any other information you consider relevant
Applications by email only to: email@example.com
Closing date: 5:00pm Monday 11th June 2018
Interviews: Friday 29th June 2018
#NUIGSU18 Part Time Officer Election and Referendum Results 13th April 2018
Oifigeach na Gaeilge Election Result: Adhna Nic Dhonnchadha Deemed Elected
Total Poll 1,144
Total Valid Poll 1,049
Níc Amaill, Gráinne 227
Nic Dhonnchadha, Adhna 783
Societies’ Chairperson Election Result: Brandon Walsh Deemed Elected
Total Poll 41
Total Valid Poll 41
Kelly, Chris 11
Ruane, Sinéad 6
Walsh, Brandon 23
Clubs’ Captain Election Result: Ryan Guilfoyle Deemed Elected
Total Poll 4
Total Valid Poll 4
Guilfoyle, Ryan 4
Postgraduate Taught Officer Result: Cameron Keighron Deemed Elected
Total Poll 100
Total Valid Poll 83
Grimes, Lorraine 19
Keighron, Cameron 60
Postgraduate Research Officer Result: Jibran Abbasi Deemed Elected
Total Poll 99
Total Valid Poll 89
Abbasi, Jibran 43
Monahan, David 37
Abbasi, Jibran 43
Monahan, David 41
Non Transferable 5
Convenor of the College of Arts, Social Sciences & Celtic Studies Result: Rían McKeagney Deemed Elected
Total Poll 365
Total Valid Poll 347
Breslin, Joshua 53
Jordan, Ethan 20
McKeagney, Rían 198
O’Neill, Callum 65
Convenor of the College of Science Result: Scott Green Deemed Elected
Total Poll 287
Total Valid Poll 281
Green, Scott 175
Hurley, Patrick 104
Convenor of the College of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences Result: Liezel Ravenscroft Deemed Elected
Total Poll 207
Total Valid Poll 205
Ravenscroft, Liezel 121
Rufai, Gertrude 84
Convenor of the College of Engineering & Informatics Result: Roshan George Deemed Elected
Total Poll 151
Total Valid Poll 149
George, Roshan 76
Murphy, Nicola 58
Walker, Eoin 13
Convenor of the College of Business, Public Policy & Law Result: Clodagh McGivern Deemed Elected
Total Poll 144
Total Valid Poll 142
McGivern, Clodagh 68
Murphy, Ciara 58
Non Transferable 4
McGivern, Clodagh 70
Murphy, Ciara 59
Non Transferable 15
Mature Students’ Officer Result: Chuka Paul Oguekwe Deemed Elected
Total Poll 1,132
Total Valid Poll 1,037
Oguekwe, Chuka Paul 609
Ó Rúairc, Brían 391
International Students Officer Result: Daniel McFadden Deemed Elected
Total Poll 1,135
Total Valid Poll 1,048
Hillerkuß, Ulrike 476
McFadden, Daniel 544
Gender and LGBT+ Rights Officer Result: Alex Coughlan Deemed Elected
Total Poll 1,157
Total Valid Poll 1,078
Coughlan, Alex 775
Dowd, Sorcha 248
Disability Rights Officer Result: Muireann O’Sullivan Deemed Elected
Total Poll 1,154
Total Valid Poll 1.091
Brogan, Megan 326
Connolly, Saoirse 310
O’Sullivan, Muireann 430
Brogan, Megan 327
Connolly, Saoirse 311
O’Sullivan, Muireann 432
Non Transferable 21
Brogan, Megan 427
O’Sullivan, Muireann 535
Non Transferable 129
Referendum on the Creation of the Position of Ethnic Minorities Officer
Result: Referendum PASSED
Total Poll 1,161
Total Valid Poll 1,108
YES 882 (80%)
NO 226 (20%)
The new officers will take up their positions on the 1st of July 2018.
There will be an election to fill the new Ethnic Minorities Officer Position at the start of the 2018/19 Academic Year.
Notice of Referendum Thursday 12 April 2018
Fógra maidir le Reifrinn Déardaoin, an 12 Aibreán 2018
On Thursday 12th April you will be asked to vote in a referendum on whether or not you support the creation of the positon of Ethnic Minorities Officer.
The wording which will appear on the ballot paper, requiring a Yes / No answer, will be:
Do you agree with referendum motion proposed by the SU Council on 5th March 2018 to create the position of Ethnic Minorities Officer?
If passed, a new part-time officer position of Ethnic Minorities Officer will be created.
Déardaoin, an 12 Aibreán, iarrfar ort vótáil i reifreann ar cibé acu a thacaíonn nó nach dtacaíonn tú le cruthú Oifigeach na Mionlach Eitneach.
Is mar seo a leanas a chuirfear an cheist ort ar an bpáipéar ballóide, agus beidh ortsa freagra Tá / Níl a thabhairt uirthi:
An bhfuil tú ag toiliú leis an rún reifrinn a mhol Comhairle Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn an 5 Márta 2018 le hOifigeach na Mionlach Eitneach a chruthú?
Má éiríonn leis an reifreann, cruthófar post d’oifigeach páirtaimseartha nua dar teideal Oifigeach na Mionlach Eitneach.
Polling will take place in the following locations – please bring your NUIG ID to vote:
An Bialann 10am-6pm
Áras na Mac Léinn 11am-8pm
Engineering Building 12pm-3.30pm
Friars Café 1pm-4pm
Online via Remote Vote on SU Website 10am-8pm (Deadline to register for Remote Vote midnight Weds 11th April)
NUI Galway Easter Holiday Arrangements 2018
- Teaching ends on Sat 24th of March for the Easter Holidays and teaching resumes Mon 9th April.
- Field Trips (where applicable) take place Mon 26th March – Thurs 29th March.
- The Students’ Union Office will close at 5pm on Weds 28th March and will reopen at 10am on Weds 4th April. Opening hours 10am-12.30pm & 2pm-4.30pm 4th, 5th & 6th April.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will close at 3pm on Fri 23rd March and reopen at 11am on Mon 9th April.
- The Students’ Union Cloakroom will close at 6pm on Fri 23rd March and reopen at 9am on Thurs 12th April.
- The Students’ Union Shop will be closed Fri 30th March-Mon 2nd April inclusive and will re-open Tues 3rd April.
- Sult will be closed from Fri 30th March and will re-open on Tues 3rd April.
- Caifé na Gaeilge will close on Fri 23rd March and will re-open Mon 9th April.
- Smokey’s Café will be closed Fri 30th March-Mon 2nd April inclusive and will re-open Tues 3rd April
- The Wall Café will be open 9am-3pm on Fri 30th March & Sat 31st March. Closed Sun 1st April and open 11am-3pm Mon 2nd April.
- The James Hardiman Library will be closed Fri 30th March to Mon 2nd April inclusive.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will be closed Thurs 29th March to Tues 3rd April inclusive. They will re-open at 9.15am on Weds 4th April.
- SUMS will be closed from Monday 26th March until Friday 6th April.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with a new issue on Tues 10th April.
- Flirt FM Mon 26th March- Fri 30th March On Air 11.30am-4am (Office open 11am-6pm), Sat 31st March-Sun 8th April Spring Break (Studios bookable on request), Mon 9th April-Fri 20th April On Air 11.30am-4am Weekdays (Office open 11am-6pm)
- Computer Suites will be open 09:00-18:00 Sun 1st & Mon 2nd April. For more details check HERE
NUI Galway St. Patrick’s Day Bank Holiday Arrangements 2018
- Monday 19th of March is a Bank Holiday so there are no lectures.
- The Students’ Union Office will CLOSE at 5pm on Fri 16th March and will reopen at 10am on Tues 20th March.
- The Students’ Union Engineering Desk will CLOSE at 3pm on Fri 16th of March and reopen at 11am on Tues 20th March.
- The Students’ Union Shop Sat 17th March 10am-4pm, CLOSED Sun 18th & Mon 19th March.
- Sult will be CLOSED Sat 17th, Sun 18th & Mon 19th March. Reopening 8.30am Tues 20th March.
- Caifé na Gaeilge CLOSED Sat 17th, Sun 18th and Mon 19th March.
- Smokey’s Café Sat 17th March 9am-5pm, Sun 18th March 11am-4pm, CLOSED Mon 19th March
- The Wall Café Sat 17th March 9am-3pm, Sun 18th & Mon 19th March 11am-3pm
- The James Hardiman Library will be CLOSED on Mon 19th March.
- The Reading Room will be open as usual.
- The Student Health Unit will be CLOSED on Mon 19th March.
- Sin Newspaper will be back with a new issue on Weds 21st of March.
- For details about Computer Suite Access check HERE
Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Daoibh!
#NUIGSU18 Election Results 9th March 2018
President Election Result: Megan Reilly Deemed Elected
Mac Suibhne, Fiachra 596
Molony, John 618
Ravichandran, Aswin 214
Reilly, Megan 1,606
Total Valid Poll: 3,049
Vice-President / Education Officer Election Result: Louis Courtney Deemed Elected
Courtney, Louis 1,560
Koennecker, Stephanie 244
O’Shaughnessy, Cian 1,133
Total Valid Poll: 2,997
Vice President / Welfare and Equality Officer Election Result: Clare Austick Deemed Elected
Austick, Clare 1,328
Fallon, Aisling 512
Feeney, Georgia 901
O’Connell, Coleman 212
Total Valid Poll: 2,975
O’Connell and RON Eliminated
Austick, Clare 1,383
Fallon, Aisling 557
Feeney, Georgia 966
Austick, Clare 1,645
Feeney, Georgia 1,163
Students’ Union Council Chairperson Election Monday 5th March 2018
Returning Officer: Andrew Forde
DEVLIN LARSEN, Megan Jane
Total Votes Cast: 68
Total Spoiled Votes: 0
Total Valid Votes: 68
COOKE, Kenneth 7
DEVLIN LARSEN, Megan Jane 20
GARRISON, Annelise 10
VAUGHAN, Sabrina 31
COOKE, Kenneth eliminated and second preferences distributed.
DEVLIN LARSEN, Megan Jane 21
GARRISON, Annelise 12
VAUGHAN, Sabrina 35
VAUGHAN, Sabrina DEEMED ELECTED.
USI ELECTIONS 2018
TOTAL VOTES CAST: 64
TOTAL SPOLIED VOTES:0
TOTAL VALID VOTES: 64
CAHILL, Síona 59
VP FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
HASSAN, Oisín 61
VP FOR CAMPAIGNS
BYRNES, Michelle 62
VP FOR THE IRISH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
DEASY, Aoife 64
VP FOR WELFARE
ELDER, Jessica 16
MCLEAN, Damien 34
MURTAGH, Niamh 10
SHERLOCK, Rachel 2
VP FOR EQUALITY AND CITIZENSHIP
CUSACK, Aisling 41
HEVERIN, Anna 22
VP FOR THE BORDER MIDLANDS AND WESTERN REGION
CLOHESSY, Barry 35
O’DONNELL, Robert 28
NUI Galway Students’ Union Launches 10,000 Step Challenge
NUI Galway Students’ Union today launched the Marchathon 10,000 Step Challenge for NUI Galway students and staff. The aim of the event is to encourage staff and students to walk more so that they reach 10,000 steps per day by the end of the challenge on the 23rd of March. Participants have the chance of winning prizes such as action cameras, shopping vouchers and challenge goodie packs from the National Transport Authority just by walking!
The health benefits of walking are huge as it helps tone muscles, strengthen bones, increases metabolism and reduces the risk of high blood pressure. Regular walking can also have a big impact on your mental health as it reduces stress, improves mood and increases self-esteem.
The Students’ Union is also making sure that participants stay safe by staying seen while walking as they have distributed hundreds of free high visibility items from the Road Safety Authority. Participants can still register online for the challenge at https://www.activetravellogger.ie/
Students’ Union President Lorcán Ó Maoileannaigh said: “It’s great to see students and staff coming together as a community for a project like this. Sneaking in a short walk each day can transform your health, body and mind plus it’s free! We are privileged to have some beautiful walks on campus which can easily be enjoyed on a break from study or work.”
Students’ Union Vice President/Education Officer Andrew Forde said: “In the lead up to exams it’s important that students ensure they make time for regular exercise in their schedules. Just 40 minutes of walking three times a week has been shown to protect the brain region associated with planning and memory. The Challenge is a great chance to turn exercise into a daily habit and there’s the added bonus that you can win prizes just by taking part!”
PHOTO: (Left to Right) NUI Galway Students’ Union Officers: Sabrina Vaughan, Lorcán Ó Maoileannaigh, Sarah Murphy and Megan Reilly.
NUI Galway Students’ Union Road Safety Day
Lá na Sábháilteachta ar Bhóithre
Road Safety Authority Interactive Shuttle + Roll-Over Simulator + Bike Clinic
11am-3pm Thursday 22nd of February Áras na Mac Léinn
- Practice your driving and hazard perception skills on our simulators (car, motorbike, bicycle)
- Take part in the roll-over simulation which demonstrates how it would feel if you were in a car which turned over in a collision.
- Practice the driver theory test.
- Get FREE High Vis stuff.
- Practice safe cycling skills on our state of the art bicycle simulator
- See how driving environments and speed affect your braking distances on the brake reaction timer.
NUI Galway Students’ Union Equality Week 2018
Seachtain Chomhionannais Chomhaltas na Mac Léinn, OÉ Gaillimh 2018
Monday 19th February/Dé Luain an 19 Feabhra
6pm GiGSoc Book Club Discussing “But I’m a Cheerleader” in the Art Room, Áras na Mac Léinn
7pm Law Society & Fáilte Refugees Society Direct Provision and the Right to Work Panel Discussion in the AC201.
9pm Late & Live for SU Equality Week with Comedy Soc. FREE Comedy, Music, pints and pizza in the Bank of Ireland Theatre (beside Sult)
Tuesday 20th February/Dé Máirt an 20 Feabhra
1.30pm-2.30pm Universal Design for Learning with NUIG Disability Support Services. Panel discussion and group work for lecturers and students on how to make learning materials more accessible to all students. Venue THB-G010 Moore Institute. Sandwiches, tea & coffee provided.
7pm Fáilte Refugees Society Table Quiz in the Roisin Dubh aimed at overcoming myths around refugees and asylum seekers. €5 with reduced Silent Disco entry included.
Wednesday 21st February/Dé Céadaoin an 21 Feabhra
6pm-9pm Impacte Society Movie Night “See No Evil, Hear No Evil” in the Siobhan McKenna Theatre with free pizza, tea and coffee.
6pm-9pm Fáilte Refugees Society “A Taste of Home” Clothes Collection in Teach Solais LGBT Resource Centre.
7pm-9pm GiGSoc Dance, dress up and drag event in IT202 with free pizza and drinks.
9.30pm GiGSoc and Drama Soc Lip Sync Battle in the Bailey Allen Hall.
Thursday 22nd February/Déardaoin an 22 Feabhra
12pm-1pm Official University of Sanctuary Campaign launch in the Siobhan McKenna Theatre. The University of Sanctuary Campaign is an initiative to encourage and celebrate the good practice of Universities welcoming refugees, asylum seekers and other migrants into their communities. The Campaign fosters a culture of welcome and inclusion for all those seeking sanctuary.
3.30pm-6pm Cultural Food Fair in The View and Meeting Rooms 1 & 2 Áras na Mac Léinn
More information from firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuilleadh eolas ar fáil ó email@example.com