Sin Newspaper is the official Student Newspaper of NUI Galway. A fortnightly publication published by the Students’ Union, the paper includes a mix of campus news, features, sport and reviews.
Sin.ie is the online information resource of NUI Galway Students’ Union. The website will include up to date news and features and will be a comprehensive information and resource centre for NUI Galway students with regards to college and local news in particular.
The Sin Editor will be a self starter who works well with others and has particular strengths in working with, and motivating a team of volunteers.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, direct and motivate a team of voluntary sub editors and writers.
- Overall responsibility for sourcing newspaper and website content
- Maintain a high standard of writing in both Sin Newspaper and Sin Website
- Edit 12 issues of Sin Newspaper in conjunction with the Students’ Union
- Update Sin.ie website and social media platforms regularly with news, features etc
- Work with the Graphic Designer to ensure consistent design and layout.
- Develop links with other student publications to facilitate sharing of information and resources
- Oversee distribution of Sin Newspaper across campus
- Any other duties which may be assigned from time to time
€500 stipend per issue.
Applications by cover letter and CV to:
Closing date: 5:00pm Monday 17th July 2017
Interviews: Friday 28th July
Disclosure Training with Galway Rape Crisis Centre
This half day course provides participants with the skills and knowledge to deal appropriately with a disclosure of sexual violence, in settings where this is likely to occur. It is also a pre-requisite for anyone wishing to do voluntary work (e.g. fundraising) with Galway Rape Crisis Centre. The training is delivered by Galway Rape Crisis Centre counsellors with extensive client experience and training skills.
The main aims of the training are to:
- Increase awareness of the causes and effects of sexual violence
- Examine attitudes, values and beliefs about sexual violence
- Promote an understanding and give opportunity to practice scenarios involving a disclosure of sexual violence
- Introduce the work of Galway Rape Crisis Centre, and give information on the broad range of services they provide
Training Methods: Classroom presentation on multimedia projector. Roleplay exercises. Group Discussion. Course handouts, questionnaires and evaluation forms are provided.
Certification: Participants will be issued with an attendance certificate on completion of the course. 5 CPD Points awarded through Irish Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy.
Facilitator: Orla McGuinness, Galway Rape Crisis Centre
Venue: The Space, upstairs in Áras na Mac Léinn
Date: Tuesday 13th February 2018
Sign Up: You can sign up for the workshop in the Students’ Union offices upstairs in the Áras na Mac Léinn building Monday to Friday 10am – 5pm.
Cost: €10 which goes to Galway Rape Crisis Centre
Max: 20 students
NUI Galway Students’ Union presents The Ultimate Study Break: Big Fat Charity Cake Sale & Wooly Ward’s Pet Farm Visit
11am-4pm Wednesday 30th November 2016 in Áras na Mac Léinn
There will be rabbits, gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, chicks, hens, turkeys, geese, ducks, sheep, goats, pigs and a llama along with plenty of cake, a raffle and tunes from Flirt FM
All funds raised go to RNLI Ireland and Threshold.
Cake Sale is 11am-4pm (while stocks last!)
Pet Farm is 12pm-2pm
Raffle Draw in SU office at 4pm
More information: https://www.facebook.com/events/573612759499602/